back to article BlackBerry will 'under-perform' beneath the sheets, says Wall St bod

BlackBerry shares fell more than four per cent yesterday after its stock rating was cut by one analyst to “underperform” from "market perform". The blow comes just a week before the mobile-maker's latest earnings report is due. Bernstein Research analyst Pierre Ferragu said he expected to be disappointed by the ailing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51

Hope all the short sellers get stung.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hope all the short sellers get stung

Normally, I don't disapprove of shorts - they are a good way of letting the world know a share is overvalued, and given the relentless hype of Wall Street it is a useful corrective. But sometimes shorting seems to be a deliberate policy to try and create volatility and profit from it, and is done against non-US based companies. RIM wasn't worth as much as it was quoted at the peak (as Apple weren't) but the short bets against them seem to have been buttressed with extensive negative PR and spin, the latest being the spying nonsense which the Apple-loving Grauniad was happy to publish.

Yes, I hope the shorts lose theirs, not because I have any personal stake in RIM but because I think there has been near-fraud and it deserves to be properly rewarded.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Analysts...

"Analysis" implies that you have the data and are working out what it means. Stock market analysts are trying to guess what is going on before they have the data - so they are not analysts but forecasters.

1. Levente Szileszky
      Thumb Down

Re: Analysts...

Not only that but they are actually trying to either buttress their paying client's positions or balance their own exposures.

In short: with respect to exceptions these so-called "analysts" are practically all utterly clueless loudmouthed unscrupulous scumbags, nothing else.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Maybe they've found out they can't synch calendars with BB Q10

I really like the BB Q10 but it's no good for me because it only supports Mac calendar synch via cloud, which is not allowed in my company.

""You can do wired but limited to Contacts. You are able to setup through synchronizing with the Cloud for both calendar and contacts.""

How could they fuck it up so badly for business users?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe they've found out they can't synch calendars with BB Q10

Their OS seems okay but the hardware is a bit clunky and not premium enough. It's suffering from being a bit behind the curve just like Nokia is.

While I don't really see the need for 1080 HD screens, they do make sense when you scale up phones.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Levente Szileszky
          Stop

1. The iPhone 5 IS A MEDIOCRE, MID-TIER PHONE regardless what an everyday clueless Apple user thinks - in short the stupids are taken by Apple already, as the Ballmerian group painfully realizing it nowadays and I don't think BB ever wanted to copy Apple's ripoff scheme.

2. Unfortunately yes, BB Z10 is also A MID-TIER hardware even it is indeed much better than any iPhone - but that's not the point. BB10 is a promising new OS, with a lot to go for - but it's still a work-in-progress and BB have to ramp up their feature upgrades, their current state of Android runtime is pretty much a hit or miss, it's just tolerable at most; BB need to hurry up that 10.2 upgrade that brings Android 4.2.2 runtime to BB10.

3. Along with #2 YES, they also need to offer a bigger phone (FWIW a "phablet" is a lame, meaningless junkword, made up by some worthless idiot), built on a flagship hardware (eg Snapdragon 600 or 800), with at least a 5" 1080p screen so BB can actually offer a viable alternative to all the large-sized, productivity-aimed flagship Android 4.2.2 devices like Samsung's Note-series, LG's 5.5" Optimus G Pro etc. It's not an accident that even Sony is getting ready with the rumored 6.4"-sized monster, they understand that if they want mass appeal with premium prices they have to have something in the top tier ((Xperia Z Ultra, running on quad-core 2GHz+ Snapdragon 800 etc: http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/06/19/xperia-z-ultra-screenshots-leak - one helluva beast if true...)

4. You're using a Q10 which is a hallmark sign of a technically less demanding user, sorry - you are a minority, trust me. Q10 is very are important to keep BB's hardcore user base like you happy but it will never gain traction in a wider audience - 720-720 is pretty much USELESS for most of us, tech people and even more so for the casual multimedia-entertainment consumer ie the majority of Android and iOS masses.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Levente Szileszky
              IT Angle

Re: "hallmark sign of a technically less demanding user, sorry - you are a minority, trust me"

Not sure why would you take offense with my wording - it's a fact, even you admit it between the lines...

No, it's NOT JUST A PHONE for the rest of us - because we are not limited to 720x720, that's the whole point. It's a matter of priorities - you prefer having a miniscule physical keyboard, we prefer higher resolution and put up with (some even prefer) on-screen keyboards (ironically IMO the Z10's touch keyboard is FAR SUPERIOR to anything I've ever tried (incl your Q10), it is indeed the BEST on the market especially with BB10's excellent typing assistant, period.)

As for "productivity" you might prefer lugging around your i7/16GB/etc-sporting monster laptop, hooking it up to monitors etc but a lot of us actually can get by on a larger phone when it comes to quick tasks - think of remote desktop/VPN/etc connections, 1080p is pretty much standard nowadays and if my phone matches it I'm happy. It is about screen real estate so your 720x720 actually makes pretty much any remote work impossible beyond fiddling with some spreadsheets in Google Drive.

And the same goes for tablets, TV sets etc when it comes to consuming "multimedia & entertainment" - when they can play on their 5" phone or watch a movie in a decent quality in 1080p on the go they don't have to lug around another tablet, not to mention waiting to get home, back to the hotel etc.

Again, resolution and screen real estate, all in a pocketable single unit - the Holy Grail of the mobile industry. It does not exist but if you get close enough you can make BEEEELLIONS in profit...

Contrary to your experience around here (NYC) I've yet to actually find anyone who does not wish he could ditch everything but his phone when he's on a trip or commuting - but we aren't quite there yet, I still carry my 12" Thinkpad around, along with my Xperia T and even my Note II-wielding coworkers carry laptops sometimes...

...but we're getting there: recently I've noticed that everyone with 5"/1080p phone pretty much stopped using their tablets - you can understand why was Apple so reluctant to even talk about bigger/higher-rez iPhones...

...as for that research I'd love to see that - most likely nothing more than some stupid survey, misinterpreted.

CPU & GPU is more and more important, I think, especially with Android. It is becoming a mess IMO (think of all the bootstrapped stupid apps you have no control over unless you root your phone) and when you run 4-5 apps simultaneously (provided shitty Jelly Bean won't put any of them to sleep randomly when it runs out of resources) it makes a whole lot of difference if you want an OS with snappy UX all the time. Yes, it requires bigger battery which makes it a bit heavier but it's a tradeoff we expect with larger screens anyway.

Err, you know what kind of people used to resort to car analogy when they couldn't explain their argument about their perceived superior PoV...?

Yes, Mac users (back in PowerPC times.) :P

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

I highly doubt that your eyes are going to be able to tell the difference between a 720p and 1080p screen on a device that is well made in the 5" and smaller screen size category when it comes to many uses eg viewing movies or tv or pictures. Many users would be better off with a slightly lower resolution and superior battery life. The 1080p resolution on a smart phone at the current time is a marketing advantage vs a real world actual advantage unless you read a ton of eBooks or something like that...one article I found: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/1080p-on-a-smartphone-screencan-it-possibly-matter/

1. Levente Szileszky
                  WTF?

"I highly doubt that your eyes are going to be able to tell the difference between a 720p and 1080p screen on a device that is well made in the 5" and smaller screen size category when it comes to many uses eg viewing movies or tv or pictures."

Oh dear Jesus... I highly doubt you even understand what are we talking about if you stuck at the level of telling "the difference between a 720p and 1080p screen on a device that is well made in the 5" and smaller screen size category" - seriously, just read my posts again, please, it's all there, no need for more clueless nonsense.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Levente Szileszky
                  WTF?

Re: "hallmark sign of a technically less demanding user, sorry - you are a minority, trust me"

"Mr. Szileszky, are you trying to tell me something?"

I thought it's been laid out at least twice already but let me try again, one more time: YES, AI AM TRYING to tell you that generally speaking tech workers CAN and DO TAKE ADVANTAGE of LARGER, HIGHER-REZ SCREEN real estate, which can even replace tablets or laptops, depending on the task.

FYI dealing with "large system architecture diagrams" does not sound like a tech worker in my dictionary.

Having to deal number crunching or SQL Studio can be done with on 5" 1080p screen IF NECESSARY, provided you are not the arrogant-angry type who cannot tolerate any inconvenience.

Emphasis on "IF NECESSARY" eg I have to do something when I'm out of my office or on Sunday in the park, while my daughter is in the swing, we're on holiday, having lunch in a restaurant, commuting on a train etc

Funny you are accusing me of having a long position on Samsung - did you actually read my other posts including the one here about BB's great prospects vs scumbag, clueless, shorting analysts or being short on any meaningful argument you're just reverting to adhoms...?

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear, sense of humor fail. I've withdrawn the posts that so offend you, I hope that satisfies you. If you can't tell the difference between a harmless little joke and an "accusation", you must find everyday life a little stressful.

My regards to NY, and have a nice afternoon.

2. James 51

Point 3 sounds a lot like the playbook 4G or a playbook 2.

1. Levente Szileszky

"Point 3 sounds a lot like the playbook 4G or a playbook 2"

I hope not - unless it gets down under 7" they are waaay too big to be pocketable, sorry.

2. Seven Seas Jim

All calendar sync issues have been resolved in previous updates.

1. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Seven - I was quoting directly from BB Support. I want to do calendar, task and contact synch via USB. BB Support said it could only be done via cloud. Are you saying that BB Support are misleading me.

I use Outlook 2011 on a Mac.

2. Levente Szileszky
      WTF?

I'm not really sure what are you talking about...?

I've helped to set up a friend's Q10 a day after its US launch day, it syncs everything from his desktop Outlook as well as his Gmail (Calendar, Contacts and Gmail) and Google App accounts (Calendar, Contatcs, Gmail, preferably via ActiveSync if you have a GA Business account), besides his other various email-only (IMAP and POP) accounts...

...to paraphrase someone's oversized complains: how could you fuck up so badly something so easy to configure?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Perhaps they assumed that anyone using Mac calendar sync has an iPhone.

2. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Levente -

My company does not allow use of cloud for company info.

I asked BB support if I could synch Mac Outlook 11 Calendars with BB Q10 using wire or local wireless. They said no - that the only way to synch would be by using a cloud service - I quoted their response in my post.

Are you saying that you managed to synch Outlook 11 on a Mac (calendar, contacts, tasks) with a BBQ10 without using a cloud service - i.e. over USB or local wireless?

5. Levente Szileszky
    Devil

There's a more than obvious VERY SERIOUS SHORTING going on for long months now...

...and since negative news are NOT coming in these scumbags try everything to minimize their inevitable super-painful losses...

...ahahaha, cannot wait to see these parasites LOSE BEEEELIOOOONS in a matter of weeks, by the end of the year latest. =)

This topic is closed for new posts.