back to article Brocade: People try to put us down, talkin' 'bout my (Fibre Chan) generation

Is "fifth-generation Fibre Channel" marketing-speak or a useful term? Earlier this year the "Gen 5 Fibre Channel" term popped up from Brocade, which used it to describe 16GBit/s Fibre Channel, the computer network technology's highest available speed. And Brocade started using the Gen 5 term around the time Cisco finally …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The irony is....

"Cisco took exception to the new label"

I'm sure they did, as it's Brocade nicking the Cisco naming convention for the generations of supervisor cards in their 9K series FC switches.

For a few years now Cisco have called their switch bits Gen 1, gen 2, gen 3 etc. Each Gen tends to follow a speed uplift, so Gen 1 was 2Gbps, Gen 2 was 4 Gbps At the way they have been going, it would be reasonable to expect their "gen 5" series cards to be 16 or 32 Gbps

2. CheesyTheClown
    Happy

how cute

I love it when a company tries to make a new version of an obsolete technology. Last night I was helping to spec out a new FCoE network with four 40Gbe connections to each blade. Seems kinda funny anyone would want to invest heavily on FC when it's so insanely expensive and incredibly slow.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: how cute

Because the FCOE stuff is real cheap isn't it ?

Sorry that's a fail FCOE carries the same price tag yet lacks the scale and more importantly the maturity and eco system support offered by FC, that's why you still need native FC ports for the other peripherals.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter fight

Was great fun watching the twitter fight on this a while back. Got technical and marketing completely messed up !

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like