back to article Facebook: We now have one million real admen stalking you. Huzzah..?

Facebook claimed it has – for the first time – surpassed 1 million active advertisers who used the network in the last 28 days. The company told Reuters that many small biz outfits were using Facebook to display ads. However, the Mark Zuckerberg-run company, which is trying to bolster its sales, declined to tell the newswire …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anomalous Cowshed

1 million admen!

Cor isn't this cool, guys, gals? Competition, diversity...you got it all with Facebook!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The NSA have an advert...

"Relax, nobody's monitoring you."

3. adnim
    Happy

Facebook ads?

facebook.com##div.megaphone_content

facebook.com##div.ego_section

Just paste the above into your adblock element hiding rules

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where's Diaspora....?

Tried to switch away from fb to Diaspora but got no help from anyone on that project. Its taking them too long and it may be stuck in limbo. I suspect they've over engineered it, instead of just keeping it simple.

Are there any other working online-services that put 'Privacy' first? Because a Privacy Timebomb has already arrived.... We have the NSA's crimes on one-hand, and every-day privacy invasion by Ad-engines on the other... Surely now there is a market for websites and devices that put privacy first?

But where are the digital entrepreneurs that want to offer Social networks / Search Engines / Devices that don't track your movements.. Don't phone home... Don't serve you ads? Entrepreneurs don't have to aspire to be the latest greatest alternative, they just have to meet a niche for privacy advocates. They can even charge a fee in lieu of Ads.... Surely there is a market....?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where's Diaspora....?

The government will always monitor your communications, it is in their nature to do so.

Websites cost money, so they resort to advertising as it is easier to collect funds this way.

Let the plebiscite get tracked, and you could investigate the many techniques to reduce your profile

or throw sand into the eye of the Panopticon, really its not rocket science.

I leave you a couple of quotes you can consider.

Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristocratic forms.

No government in history has been known to evade this pattern.

And as the aristocracy develops, government tends more and more to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

-- whether that class be hereditary royalty, oligarchs of financial empires, or entrenched bureaucracy.

Politics as Repeat Phenomenon

Bene Gesserit Training Manual

Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.

Aristotle

2. Hawke
      Alien

Check out worldtruth.org we put the users first, no data mining, no tracking, we do have ads on the free level but that's the only way we could stay running, our gold membership is $5 a month with no ads and we have way more features than facebook.

"There are hundreds of people in my past who are a click and a message away"

@Brenda that's why I hate Facebook, well not the site itself but everyone I've ever known is there and they all still know the same people and do the same things since school, honestly I find it terrifying!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As OP I took a look at your site. Good to know. But you are still hosted in the US, yes?... That means if you ever grow large enough you will have your data sucked! How about hosting in the EU, Asia or S America?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Right, from the website worldtruth.org

we see this...

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - We at WorldTruth.Org take privacy and security extremely serious. We do not recognize the Patriot Act of the United States of America as being authoritative, legal, or in any way supercedes the authority of the United States Constitution and Bill of Rights. We will never participate in any form of data mining, site originated tracking, and do not authorize the NSA, CIA, FBI, or any other government organization within or outside the United States to track or monitor any of the information or members within our network, unless you provide us a legal warrant demanding such information; in which we reserve full rights to notify any member(s) associated with the content of the warrant, and they can exercise their 1st Amendment or other Freedom of Speech rights and rights to privacy to remove all of their content

and in the source we see this

(function() {

var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;

ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';

var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);

})();

Care to explain?

5. Turtle

Useulfness.

"That's right, people are still using us ... bitch"

And you're still using people... bitch.

6. Adair Silver badge

Guess what?

Facebook doesn't use me, because I don't use Facebook. Who needs FB to have a life? FB doesn't actually matter.

1. Brenda McViking
      Go

Re: Guess what?

Good for you.

I on the other hand do use facebook - it has it's uses - why only last weekend, I checked in the middle of nowhere in Canada in a little town and got invited to a cruise and BBQ from a mates old school friend who happened to have a holiday home + boat not 20 miles away and saw us post up on facebook. Few cold ones, free bed for the night and a wonderful evening rather than driving 4 hours back through the wilderness on the way home.

So I find all this social networking actually does have benefits, and through that I submit to a certain amount of profiling and tracking (or a significantly reduced amount through noscript and adblock) - I mean, it's not like you are forced to pay for it now is it? It opens up lots of opportunities that previous generations have never had, and could not possibly imagine. There are hundreds of people in my past who are a click and a message away if our paths happen to cross again, and this information is facilitated by these social networks. You don't want to be a part of it? you don't have to. That's the beauty of it.

1. Elmer Phud

With AdBlock and Ghostery you can be selective.

I come here to the Reg 'cos I want to and I think they are worth it -- so I don't mind the ad's and they don't flood the pages with trackers.

Facebook is different, there are plenty of people there who are happy to open up everything to world + dog.

They've led a Zynga-based Facebook and I'm happy for them to have half a screen of adverts.

(Social Fixer on FB helps as well.)

1. Florida1920
          WTF?

The Reg has ads?

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

It's weird when you have to view some sites without adblock and noscript

You barely recognize the site.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like