back to article Google's JavaScript challenger gains better tools, performance

Hot on the heels of Microsoft's latest TypeScript release, Google has shipped the first beta SDK for Dart, its own JavaScript killer alternative web language, including bug fixes, performance enhancements, and an improved editor. Like TypeScript, Dart is a language aimed at making it easier to develop large, complex web …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two comments... or points to consider:

1- How much of my "code" is sent back to Google for their own personal use or to share with NSA and

2- How many products of Google remain in"BETA" stage, or get canceled once people start liking them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'How many .....remain in"BETA" stage, or get canceled once people start liking them?'

Amen! Isn't that the truth. Adopting a new language or even just a JS variant is a risky proposition... a gambit...

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: 'How many .....remain in"BETA" stage, or get canceled once people start liking them?'

re:1.

Grow up.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumably it has a library full of NSA approved backdoor routines which it inserts into the complied java objects?

1. Oninoshiko
      Big Brother

you think that's bad.. you should see what we slipped into the first compilers... still slipping that backd#@)(*% *NO CARRIER*

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Compatibility

I have a Javascript source that has had to be tweaked in several places to make it compatible with the unexpected foibles of the major browsers. Would DART allow me the flexibility to change one Javascript statement to an execution order that suited all browsers?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'DART ...allows... flexibility to change a Javascript statement that suited all browsers?'

Excellent question... other inquiring minds would like to know this also....

2. veti Silver badge

Re: Compatibility

I may be misunderstanding you, but isn't that what JQuery* is for?

Basically, that problem has been in the 'solved' bucket these six years or more.

*(Other libraries are available. This post is not an endorsement of any product or service, although JQuery is undoubtedly awesome. Void where prohibited, etc.)

1. John Gamble
        Boffin

Re: Compatibility

"I may be misunderstanding you, but isn't that what JQuery* is for?"

I agree for the most part, but the asker may have been wondering about maintainability also.

I'm rather wondering how Dart compares with Coffescript myself (I know a little Coffeescript, I know nothing of Dart).

4. Kevin (Just Kevin)
    Headmaster

3.6 x Smaller?

What does 3.6 times smaller mean? If X is 5, what is 3.6 times smaller than X? What is the smallness of X to which we are comparing? How small is it? What should I multiply by 3.6? I hate that phrasing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 3.6 x Smaller?

"What does 3.6 times smaller mean?"

OK - 1/3.6 times bigger - fixed

1. wowfood
        Boffin

Re: 3.6 x Smaller?

I imagine it's along the lines of this.

Original compliation formed 100 lines. New compilation forms 28 lines, 100 / 3.6 is 28, so it's 3.6x smaller.

5. William Donelson

"produces Javascript that is (just for a few years) compatible with non-Chrome"

It produces Javascript that is (just for a few years) compatible with non-Chrome browsers. Then the cow droppings will hit the fan.

6. JDX Gold badge

I don't want ANOTHER language

The answer to making things easier is not to create more and more languages.

1. Ru

Re: I don't want ANOTHER language

I don't wholly agree with your underlying sentiment... I don't believe that any of the languages out there at the moment are perfect, and our understanding of programming language design is far from complete. That said, I rather like this quote from the author of 'javascript: the good bits':

if I could take a clean sheet of paper and write [a new language] that retains all the goodness of [JavaScript] ... I would not have come up with anything like Dart

Personally, I'd have liked a new intermediate language that would have a legitimate claim to being 'the assembly language of the web' to which ones language of choice could be compiled (see also, Parrot/PIR and dotnet/CIL). Bit of a pipedream, that one.

1. JDX Gold badge

How about improving a language that already exists?

1. Tom 7

How about improving a language that already exists?

Well some large OS manufacturers and some flashy web design application providers joined in the standards organisation with the sole aim of ensuring that doesn’t happen.

Fortunately there is one company that, while maybe having ulterior motives, likes the idea of easy enterprise level design on the web and for the paranoid they even provide the source code so they can build their own - or spend their lives looking for the NSA backdoor in it should they so wish.

I think I might be inclined to see if I could make the dart editor as a web browser app - after all Orion allows you to edit JS in the browser and that's only a couple of steps away from a full blown IDE in the browser for the WWW.

Though the ability to develop enterprise level software on the beach may not be ideal for some...

1. JDX Gold badge

A new language is categorically the wrong direction for back-end development, and my whole point is I want the same language usable for front & back-end, so libraries can be written only once.

1. wowfood

http://xkcd.com/927/

Change the word Standard with "web scripti" or something... Iuno... I'm tired.

7. Tim Parker

/In addition, a new "pub deploy" command pulls together all of an application's code and assets and packages them into a directory for easy deployment to a web server.'

Oh - nothing to do with nipping down the local then ? Disappointing.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Creating a new language

is something of a self-imposed rite of passage for some people. That is why there will never be any shortage of new languages. I wish they would create innovative new real time operating systems, instead. That way we would never even hear about them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like