back to article Google joins Amazon, HP, Rackspace in easing HDD data importing

Google has followed in the footsteps of Amazon by making it easier for businesses to load in masses of data to the company's cloud platform. On Tuesday Google announced it is letting companies ship their encrypted data in on HDDs, which Google will then load into Google Cloud Storage on their behalf. Other cloud providers that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, sure..

.. gives us all your data. You can trust us. Haven't I heard this before?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yes, sure..

Wow. 2 comments and one of them is a "I'm so paranoid about the Cloud" post. Jeebus. Change the bleedin' record, eh?

2. Cliff

Why post in a drive?

Can't they just get a copy from the NSA?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'A price that, funnily enough, matches Amazon's $80 "drive handling" fee'....

...and also 'funnily enough matches' the cost of shipping it on to Utah..... Mmmmh....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This product deals with one of the main problems of fiddling with rented IT infrastructure – if you need to compute over a massive dataset, getting it into a cloud requires the patience of a saint and the luck of one as well unless you have a reliable, high-speed connection.

Not to mention getting it out again when your cloud provider turns out to be crap, and you want to move to another provider.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'getting it into a cloud requires the patience of a saint '....

...."Not to mention getting it out again ".... Dead right! If anything the ongoing need for a snail-mail old-school solution shows just how full of hot-air the Cloud is! I have terabytes of video I'd like to move to the Cloud, but I need to retrieve it, work on it and return it back. Until we're all on fibre that's a pipe dream. And I'll be continuing to carry around an eternal hard-drive for the foreseeable future.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like