back to article Apple orders 10m 3G iPhones - analyst

Apple says it expects to have sold 10m iPhones by the end of the year, and if one market watcher's claim proves correct, it might even double that total. According to Gartner analyst Ken Dulaney, Apple has placed an order for 10m 3G iPhones. That's in addition to the 10m original iPhones Apple has said it expects to sell this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmmm... nice...

Now that I would buy into - But buying it from Germany with no lock on it... I'm already on T-Mobile, so that shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully.

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

OLED would be great!

OLED means no backlight and the screen would possibly be able to stay on longer or constantly (maybe at a reduced brightness).

OLED displays are expensive however and still a relatively new technology.

3. Chad H.

More iPhone Rumours?

Speaking as someone who owns an iPhone... Can I just say I'm tiring of these rumours.

Can we possibly have an iPhone rumour contest? The winner is the one who makes up the craziest-yet-believable rumour?

4. Webster Phreaky
    Jobs Horns

More Apple Anal-yst FUD Bull$hit.

From all the ACCURATE data, the iPhone is a bomb. Apple's probably GIVEN AWAY more iPhones for "product placements" in various media's and to all their Hack Media buddies, then they've actually sold.

I'd like to see Apple Stock Holders demand a REAL sales Audit.

5. Dave
    Stop

3g, or latency

"meet the demands of Europeans, who have proved less satisfied by the iPhone's 2.5G download speeds"

I suspect "the europeans" will discover when they get 3g that it is not the speed that is slow, but rather latency. I have used 2.5g, 3g and 3.5g and for mobile browsing they all appear identical. This is not because they are identical, but because web pages are small, and the latency is high. How many people will download large files on a phone? I suspect most folk will be looking at facebook...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Could be good

This sounds like the phone Apple SHOULD have released. I may even be tempted to buy one if it isn't crippled

Posting AC as I am ashamed that I would even consider a Crapple product

7. Christopher DiOrio
    Alert

They didn't say 10m 3G...

Jobs didn't say that he expected them to seel 10m 'regular' iPhones...he said that they expect to sell 10m iPhones. Could be current model mixed with 3G model.

In other words, NOT 'double' the number of projected iPhone sales....

8. Robert Hill
    Jobs Halo

@Dave

It is both speed and latency...for those of us that actually USE smartphones as something other than Facebook terminals, like synch to the office Exchange servers for emails, edit documents we download, and then send them on, 3G will be a massive upgrade. On my HTC Touch 2.5G phone, I now start my phone synching, and then get a coffee and a shower if I know I have docs with attachments to download.

Now with Apple thinking of Exchange compatibility, and a 3G model coming out, AND HTC dropping the ball on the video drivers on their new phones, I think I can wait until June to upgrade to an iPhone - and I can't believe I just said that, I've never owned an Apple product in my life. But that says as much about my current opinion of HTC's refusal to license the correct drivers for their newer phones from Qualcomm as it does about the appeal of Apple...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More and better features?

Sounds like an excuse to keep screwing over the European market in prices like everything else does.

10. jubtastic1
    Jobs Halo

Remember when mobile phones were new?

and stupidly expensive, with a battery that looked like it could start your car and anyone that bought one was obviously a pretentious asshole?

After using one of Apple's dinky phones for a while I'm convinced that for the vast majority of people this will be all the computer they need. Bluetooth keyboard, mouse and a dock to monitor lead and iPhone 1.0 would do for a large chunk of office workers, in 5 years time mobile computing is going to be a massive Market.

Keep em coming Steve.

11. Tim Bates
    Thumb Up

May well be true

Well, over here in Australia, Sensis, owned by Telstra recently advertised a job basically making iPhone versions of their web sites (WhitePages, YellowPages, Whereis, etc). This triggered a lot of people to assume Telstra was making moves to sell the iPhone in Australia.

But given Telstra's obsession with their "new" NextG (HSDPA) network, to me it seems silly that Telstra would sell a phone that is so limited. Which made me think it likely a 3G version is coming.

That was about 2 or 3 weeks back. This is just adding to the suspicions I have.

12. Greg

@Dave

"How many people will download large files on a phone? I suspect most folk will be looking at facebook..."

Very true, as large file downloads on other systems are often application installers, and installing stuff is a heathen act on the iPhone. </flame bait> ;-)

I like the iPhone's interface, but for the money, my Athena is still far more capable. Finally got my car dock set up for it yesterday, so now it's my phone, ultra-mobile laptop, guitar tuner, GPS device and portable media centre in one. And it still costs less than the iPhone does.

13. Scott Mckenzie

Webster

Once more speaks utter rubbish.... the definition of something bombing does not usually contain worldwide sales of in excess of 4 million. They may not have met early targets, but christ i'd love to see the definition of a success in your book!!!

For me, the 3G iPhone is what i've been waiting for and will get one as soon as they're out over here and running the 2.0 software so i can effectively replace my SPV M700 and have everything with the exception of Sat Nav running in a far better way!!!

14. Nick Palmer

@Robert Hill

I actually use an HTC Touch Dual, which does HSDPA, and is one of the models affected by the display driver issue. I have to say that I've found it absolutely fine in use, and have noticed no performance penalty when used side-by-side with something like an Eten Glofiish M800. I'd like the appropriate drivers released too, but my TD's perfectly usable as is, as are the other HTC devices we've got. Don't get me wrong, I agree, dropped bollock on the part of HTC, but it's not as huge an issue as people make out - it wouldn't make me ditch the TDs, S730s or the Kaisers that we have for iPhones. The addition of 3G WOULD make me consider an iPhone as an alternative, so long as they incorporated proper enterprise mail support out of the box, not via some third-party app.

15. John W. Naylor, Jr., P.E.

Not a fan, but impressed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Iphone_sales.svg

With 2.32 million sales in 1st quarter 2008, 10 million doesn't seem "out of bounds" by the end of year. I am seeing the things all over the place. I thought it would be the iPod high school crowd that were the primary purchasers but it seems it's hard to visit an airport without seeing dozens of them.

I find it amazing that on just one carrier they have managed to outsell all WM phones combined from all carriers and from all vendors in the US Market. I think Apple's strategy was brilliant. They didn't come outta the gate competing with RIM, Palm, HTC for the business crowd. They got their feet wet in the technologically less saavy crowd and created an entire new market among people who would never do a Crackberry.

Having their non business unit compared to every business oriented techno-squawkbox on the market was however inevitable and they now have a "todo" list of what they gotta do to chase that market. Personally, I was figuring on holding onto my Treo 650 until it's 4th birthday in February and switching to the Linux version. But after seeing such a wide swath of people using the iPhone, it's gonna be hard not to at least consider a new business oriented one.

I had clients stop by my office (I'm doing design work for them "in Da Hamptons") who are a couple who is ....well shall we say eligibl3e for social security .... they both had iPhones. Another client of same age out there now has one, my 18 year old son has one...... all these are people who would never, ever have owned a Treo or BB as "they are too complicated".

I don't like the battery thing and I want more freedom with regard to 3rd party apps.....but everything I do on my phone, my son has been able to dupe on his iPhone so, although I myself am not likely to choose it for my usage, I have to say I am impressed.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Maybe Take Up Would Be Bigger If...

... An iPhone 3G version came out and was available on ALL networks, and unlocked. Consumers in europe do not like being told which network they have to go with to get the iPhone, especially when O2 tarrifs are so $hite!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like