back to article Swedish watchdog: Google's chocolate cloud? Nej, not private

The Google bods who sell the ad giant's software services in Europe have been banned from flogging their wares to Sweden's public sector due to unresolved privacy concerns. The ruling came after a local council was prohibited from using Mountain View's cloud services, and applies to Sweden's local and central government, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Denman

Risk assessment.

Obviously we all do our own risk assessment on freeware compared to paid services.

Things get a bit harder when authorities have to decide what s what for their students.

2. James 51

Just right. The privacy concerns override any possible cost cutting advantages.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Maybe you goo$hills can find some more juicy exploits on Windows and maybe you even find a way to channel it to somebody who will do something nasty with that ? Now that they have detonated a nuke in your cloud, you really have to avenge the damage.

I have a large sack of popcorn here and I yearn for more games !

3. Busby
    Thumb Up

If only UK authorities were as on the ball prior to the last census.

I still feel whoever was responsible for turning that data over to a foreign defense contractor and by proxy any branch of the US government that wants a peek should face treason charges.

Hopefully one of the positives from all the recent press attention will be that data protection will be far more seriously considered when outsourcing. Which from what I can tell should rule out any US providers due to the patriot act and its your data is now ours provisions.

1. M Gale

LM provided the system for the 2001 census as well, don't you know?

So it's been going on a while.

1. Busby

Was not aware of that, since every party has an obsession with outsourcing everything to the lowest bidder I really do despair.

Seemingly no common sense applied to how contracts are awarded by the UK government and that's been the case for decades so can't blame the current lot. Only way some of these deals including the census make sense is if there are some hefty brown envelopes changing hands.

Why don't our watchdogs ever speak up until far too late? The recent uproar over Huwai and UK telecoms is a prime example of someone doing there job only far too late.

Slightly jealous that the Swedes at least have some parts of the government actually protecting them.

2. Dave 15

I refused to take part

For the reason that the British government was spending British tax payers money on paying an American company to provide data on all British households to the Americans.

Nothing came of that refusal despite the dire warnings about court proceedings etc.

I think I was entirely right, and think anyone who complied with that ridiculous census was stupid.

The British government should be spending British tax payers money on British companies and British workers - every time it spends our money.

4. sysconfig

Great Job, Sweden!

I just hope other countries have the balls to follow suit.

The loss of public sector contracts hurts and is a blow for Google's image. That's the only language that global companies understand. While the EU knows already that it doesn't like Google's use of personal data, it is just too bloody slow in making a decision.

Sweden has done the right thing by setting an example. Well done!

5. Stoneshop

http://www.heise.de/ct/schlagseite/2012/10/gross.jpg

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like