back to article Google Chromebooks now in over 6,600 stores

Google has launched a major retail push for laptops running its web-based Chrome OS, with Chromebooks now available in more than 6,600 stores worldwide. That's more than three times as many stores as have carried the devices previously, according to a blog post from Chromebook marketing director David Shapiro on Monday. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it'll only be news when it gets over 9000.

2. Neil Greatorex
    Coat

Cool

So that = 6,600 sales?

They could retire on that.

3. Ken Y-N

Acer C7 losing the hard disk

Perhaps too many people were installing Linux on it? My current netbook is on its last legs, so such Chromebook pricing looks good.

1. Gerhard Mack

Re: Acer C7 losing the hard disk

More likely they prefer the much lower power consumption/ increased performance of SSD. At any rate, you can install Linux on 16 GB with room to spare.

4. AMB-York Silver badge
    Windows

Anyone with retail knowledge on here?

Just asking - is 6,600 a lot? Worldwide doesn't sound like much.

116 Tescos - how many of their stores sell electrical kit?

How many Tescos sell Android tablets?

Chromebook not of interest, but just wondering if this is significant or if Google are being half-hearted and looking for an excuse to drop Chrome and focus on Android.

1. fandom

Re: Anyone with retail knowledge on here?

They just released a $1,299 dolar chromebook, that's hardly what they would if they were intending to drop the whole project.

2. Mark .

Re: Anyone with retail knowledge on here?

I don't know about Tesco, but last time I was in a Sainsbury I saw prominent placement for Kindle Fires, and Ipads. (And not a Nexus 7 in site.)

I think it's easy to underestimate just how important shop distribution is - it's both a form of advertising (how many people even know about Chromebooks? Even if people don't spontaneously buy a Kindle Fire with their fruit and veg, they're made aware it exists, and will be more likely to buy it over alternatives they don't know exists - same idea with lots of people who aren't even aware of Android tablets existing, thinking it's just Apple). And even for us geeks who know what options are available - I like being able to just buy something in a shop (where I can also return it if it goes wrong), rather than faff with Internet shipping.

Never mind Chromebooks - when are we going to see the Nexus 10 available in shops... (Better resolution than any ipad, way cheaper, but no one knows it exists!)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just checked

And I found the Samsung at prices around 300 Euro (around 400$). Seems highish.

6. Richard Wharram

OK

Should make for a few more hits for distrowatch :)

(Peppermint 4 is great for an underpowered laptop with not much disk space.)

7. Alan Gauton

Tesco?

Started selling them on Monday? At least one of the Dundee branches has had them for a few weeks now.

8. Martin

Well, I'm quite interested in the Acer...

...partiularly now it has an SSD.

I have the Samsung already - well, I used to, but these days I can't prise it out of my fifteen year old daughter's sticky mitts. She likes the size and the speed of startup - it does pretty well everything she needs. She even does her homework essays using Google Drive.

9. TeeCee Gold badge
    Mushroom

"Major, worldwide retail push begins this summer..."

I fervently hope that it dies like the dog it is.

Last thing I want is for the "always online, cloud only" model to gain traction. You know where that goes, everyone jumps on the bandwagon and finding something that works without a connection becomes difficult/expensive....

1. jason 7

Re: "Major, worldwide retail push begins this summer..."

Or is it the fact that if most people switch to such low to zero support required machines all pushing to the cloud you and many others will be out of a job?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In 6600 shops, yet I've seen more people using surface tablets than chromebooks.

I've seen one surface.

11. Anonymous Coward 101
    FAIL

Waste of Time and Money

I just discovered you can't edit spreadsheets offline, and that many .avi files will not play. These problems alone render the Chrome OS a fucking waste of time.

12. Fuzzy Duck
    Thumb Up

i've got one

the £229 samsung is great for basic web, email and watching stuff. yes, the screen is average but as a cheapo laptop it's great. you are, of course, tied into googles stuff but it's better than an ipad.

1. jason 7

Re: i've got one

Yeah I love mine too. I've ditched my tablet and now use the Samsung Chromebook. If you are a big forum user then its just so much faster.

Managed to convert quite a few people that were going to buy a £500 tablet to get the £229 Samsung and so far no complaints.

13. montyburns56
    FAIL

Chromebooks, the Xbox One of the laptop world.

14. AdamCB

Chromebooks and Windows

Google faced a lot of negativity when they launched the Chromebook, but they've made a lot of progress since then. Samsung, Acer, Lenovo and HP have all released Chromebook models, and other vendors are rumored to be considering producing such devices as well. Based on the retail channel expansion mentioned in the article, it doesn't look like Google plans on giving up on the Chromebook anytime soon.

One obstacle to wider adoption of Chromebooks is the requirement to access Windows applications like Microsoft office. However, there are third-party solutions that can overcome that issue. For example, Ericom AccessNow is an HTML5 RDP client that enables Chromebook users to connect to Terminal Servers and/or VDI virtual desktops, and run Windows applications or desktops in a browser tab.

There's nothing to install on the Chromebook, so AcccessNow is easy to deploy and manage.

For an online, interactive demo, open your Chrome browser and visit:

http://www.ericom.com/demo_AccessNow.asp?URL_ID=708

Please note that I work for Ericom

15. Frankee Llonnygog

I've seen Chromebooks in stores before

Just haven't seen any customers buying them

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like