back to article Seagate reveals a NASty side, tears wraps off WD Red copycat disk

Seagate has introduced its own disk for filer-focussed network-attached storage (NAS) boxes, a year after rival Western Digital launched its own Red NAS drive. The new Seagate spinner comes with NASworks software; it's clearly a startling coincidence that the WD Red's bundled software is called NASware. The Red is a 1TB, 2TB …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lee D Silver badge

I don't care. Stop wasting your money on making them.

Where's my 1Tb SSD?

1. M Gale

Where's my 1Tb SSD?

In the bin after a couple of years of write operations.

Now where's my replaceable SSD cache for the spinning rust?

1. Arnold Lieberman
        Thumb Up

Got an LSI MegaRAID controller?

Then CacheCade is your friend... just upgraded the 600Gb drives on our main sql server installation with some 3Tb enterprise drives for space reasons, and was really worried about the performance hit, but adding a 400Gb (Intel) SSD as cache has done a more than admirable job of keeping performance up. And the installation was a POP. Would't trust a OCZ Vertex to that job, mind...

2. Captain Scarlet Silver badge

SSD Cache

Agree sucks you have to repurchase an ssd cache with the software as its limit to only specific devices for consumers :(

2. jason 7

Got a grand to spend then?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-030-CR&groupid=701&catid=2104&subcat=2394

At this stage I'd rather pay £60.

1. M Gale

£487.99 inc. VAT

That's a lot less than a grand.

Granted, a lot more than £60, too.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Anything for a hook

Two NAS product have names beginning in "NAS' - it must be the work of lizard aliens or at least the Bilderberg Group.

1. JEDIDIAH
        Devil

Re: Anything for a hook

You know how it is with some people. They think rounded rectangles are proprietary features.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: why the paranoia?

Perhaps Seagate realised that by intentionally nobbling their basic consumer drives, removing Error Recovery Control from the firmware, instead of forcing people to buy more expensive "enterprise" drives they were actually driving customers into the arms of other manufacturers.

I have not seen any analysis where "enterprise" drives have any lower real-world failure rate than "consumer" drives.

Those building petabytes of storage typically use consumer drives. The WD Red hits a sweet spot which is almost as cheap as the cheapest consumer drive, but which hasn't been disabled from being used in RAID applications.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That would be because the data to do the comparison is behind NDAs, or needs somebody to go buy a few thousand drives.

That said, there's a pretty simple way to estimate: Compare the warranty periods and prices, then ask yourself which one the drive manufacturer must think has the highest failure rate within the first 1-3 years.

Assuming they want to make a profit, anyway!

2. Mark 65

Is this just a rebadge of the SV35 range? Weren't they the ones for NAS applications?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Paranoia? Perhaps I was reading a different article. the one I read was illustrating that Seagate (a major disk drive manufacturer) has released a NAS optimized hard drive with largely the same specs as a product made by WD (aka Western Digital, another major hard drive manufacturer). then it contained a mention that WD may soon need to release new drives to compete with the larger sizes of Seagate's product. I'm not certain on this, but it seems to me that comparing the specs of two similar products hardly qualifies as paranoia (a thought process heavily influenced by fear or anxiety).

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

"there's only a few dimensions to a hard disk really, beyond form factor, capacity, speed and interface type"

And the actual platters, heads and motors only have 1 source anyway.

4. RonPaulFan

How do you guys pronounce NAS?

A friend and me were talking about this the other day. He pronounced it NAZ. We debated about it and I told him that NASA is pronounced NAS (with an S and not a Z)

How do you guys pronounce that word?

1. The First Dave
      Headmaster

NAZ, of course.

5. pierce
    Boffin

I've always pronounced it NAS, like November - Alpha - Sierra

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NAS

Sorry, I misread the headline. I thought it was another NSA story (again (again (again (again...)))...).

7. Anonymous IV

Lots of techical details

But absolutely nothing on comparative prices.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like