back to article Google gobbles HALF of world's mobile ad cash

Over half the $8.8 billion dollars advertisers spent on mobile ads last year went to Google, along with a third of all internet ads. The $4.61bn Google raked in from mobile ads that year represented 52.36 percent of the total worldwide spend, eMarketer reported on Thursday, putting the search company far ahead of rivals such …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

extracting money from mobile

is a constantly changing business. Within a year there has been a dramatic shift from people paying for apps to in-app purchases and now people are getting wise to that, apps are shifting to advertising.

As an app developer, the variation i hear about in techniques of what advert types and where is most effective is huge.

Companies like google do well in advertising because they know how to get quality advertisers and how to execute advertising well (in terms of driving conversions).

Of course its not good that it is dominated by one player, but as is said of other things; you wont get fired for choosing google for your advertising.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: extracting money from mobile

you wont get fired for choosing google for your advertising.

You will with us - we advise on privacy...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Web adverts

I've heard of those!

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Web adverts

It's those annoying pictures that people who don't use an adblocker get to see right?

1. Tim 11

Re: Web adverts

yeah - that takes me back. I guess even Internet Explorer probably has ad blockers now

3. jake Silver badge

Online advertising?

What's that? Is it effective? Why? Why not? Sell me on it!

1. AceRimmer

Re: Online advertising?

Think about it

Of all the advertising methods, online advertising is the easiest to prove the effectiveness of. The advert is the door into the website and if you can track how the customer entered then you can track which adverts are performing.

If online advertising didn't work then most companies would stop spending on it.

2. rtb61

Re: Online advertising?

Adds only really work when they align with the content and thus are from the readers point of view, a virtual extension to the story. Catch any on-line ad immediately exposes your product to competitive review, you really have to have something worth buying or you are wasting money.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a privacy advocate who uses an ancient HTC-XDA phone...

....I'm quiet excited by these numbers. As more of India and China and other places come on-stream and push mobile-- mobile ads will be the only game in town for the big-three. Here's hoping that desktop ads become less saturated. Advertisers ideally want users specific location anyway, so here's to having an ancient device....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'further extension of the arms race'..........

Yahoo has good news for us all today too: "Yahoo files patent for social influence-based advertising".

"This is a further extension of the arms race we are seeing between a handful of multinational businesses to collect more data on us in order to sell advertising," said Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.We are not customers, we are a product to be monitored, packaged up and sold on to the highest bidder. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22895781

6. Mikel
    Devil

Ineffective online ads?

I do believe that there are a number of antitrust suits in the US and the EU claiming that Google has such a monopoly on online advertising that if you don't buy adwords your online business literally does not exist.

I think that being the defining edge of existence is, by definition, "effective" as far as the ad business goes. "To be or not to be" and all that.

7. Daedalus
    Thumb Down

Innumeracy lives !

In the world at large, $8.8bn is chump change. For instance HP is worth about $60bn. So Google are not the big boogey man affecting the world economy. Get a grip. And don't trust reports from self-styled authorities.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like