back to article Google to put Chrome Frame to pasture in 2014

After four years Google is retiring Chrome Frame, its browser plug-in that embeds the Chrome HTML rendering and JavaScript engines inside Internet Explorer. "It's unusual to build something and hope it eventually makes itself obsolete," Chrome engineer Robert Shield wrote in a blog post on Thursday, "but in this case we see …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jolyon Smith
    Pint

Ironically Google Chrome and some Google sites... starting to not play so nice

As a Chrome user I have been surprised In the past 2-3 weeks to have noticed what look like rendering glitches creeping into various Google sites - Maps, Contacts, Calendar, even the soon-to-be-retired-though-nobody-wants-it-to-be iGoogle.

Now these might not be rendering glitches but more straightforward coding errors in the latest updates to the sites in question, but even that raises some awkward questions about the state of QA at the chocolate factory these days.

1. Tank boy
      Pint

Re: Ironically Google Chrome and some Google sites... starting to not play so nice

So it's not just me.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ironically Google Chrome and some Google sites... starting to not play so nice

I get it with several browsers, different thing tend to screw up on different browsers. Scarrily, I'm finding less issues with i.e10 than the others these days.

Have to say given up on Opera, got sick of the million year old proxy issue they can't be arsed to fix.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My stable web site has broken twice recently with new versions of two browsers.

Firefox , on v21.0, suddenly started converting a backslash to an escaped character in the directory hierarchy of a URL for my online site. It has no problem with the same pages in local filestore. The backslashes were leftovers from local filestore development and easily fixed.

IE10 is refusing to render a selected "cut" rectangle of a larger picture - it ignores the cut and fills the box with the picture. Compatibility mode makes it work in some cases but doesn't solve the problem for general users.

The latest versions of Chrome, Opera, and Safari still work ok.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I would also like to post anonymously and shift the emphasis to problems on other browsers. There is no way that Google's insistence on rushing beta software into production could have a negative effect on users of chrome. But IE still sucks!! SUCKS I SAY!!!!

2. Richard Wharram

Doesn't make sense

IE8 is still prevalent in corporate environments. IE6 somethimes. Anyone who wants to flog a corporate an HTML5 solution needs something like this.

3. mraak

WebRTC?

MS will never embrace it so this might be a nail in the coffin for a wide adoption. Strange as Google has invested or open sourced 100's of millions worth of tech into WebRTC and is now letting MS stop its penetration as they please. Unless they've done a deal already and MS plans to support it, which I highly doubt.

4. Erebus
    Facepalm

Oh dear, there goes someone's bonus...

Three years ago, the corporate IT environment in which I work was in dire straits. IE6 was still deployed on 90% of the desktop fleet, the end of support for WinXP/IE6 was looming, and the hundreds of developers and partners refused to remediate their IE6 apps because no funding was forthcoming,. The problem was so tough that no-one knew where to start. Then Chrome Frame came along, everything was fixed overnight. IE6 did not have to upgraded after all, no-one had to fix any code, nothing had to be retested, no end users had to be retrained to use a different browser, and a monkey could be taught to map individual sites to render in Chrome Frame. Investment could be shelved and some very big bonuses paid out to the forward-thinking architects responsible for devising this brilliant strategy.

Imagine the consternation this week when some recently-promoted architects found out that Chrome Frame won't be around for the foreseeable future.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like