back to article Facebook RSS reader said to uncloak June 20

Facebook has sent out invitations for a press event on June 20, and it's widely rumored to be the announcement of a new RSS reader aimed at scooping up disaffected Google Reader users. In March, Google announced it was going to shut down the Reader system on July 1, saying that the number of users had declined over the years …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Wanda Lust

Selective presentation

No doubt, in common wth other 'subscription' type models on Facebook, they'll only present users with a subset of the posts in an RSS feed.

Flipboard already.

2. VinceH

Optional

I am one of those who make good use of Google Reader. (It's probably the only reason I actually sign in to Google on my computer on a regular/frequent basis - so they'll be losing that sign in once it goes).

I will not be setting up a new FaecesBook account* to get RSS feeds through them.

That is all.

* I used to have one, but I "deleted" it earlier this year.

3. WatAWorld

Why does the NSA want to know what RSS feeds we've got?

When Facebook offers us an RSS reader, I've got to ask myself, "Why does the NSA want to know what RSS feeds we've got?"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why does the NSA want to know what RSS feeds we've got?

If rss == <something we don't like> then waterboard

4. Dieter Haussmann

The idea that you would need an account with a third party in order to read/manage/aggregate RSS feeds is ludicrous. I am pleased google reader closed.

1. durandal

Find me a way to sync my various different rss clients across my phone and various computers, for nowt, and I'd agree with you.

1. goldcd
        WTF?

Yep

I'm still utterly bemused as to why google is shutting reader down. I'm undoubtedly naive, but it never struck me as something that was costing millions to support. It was just a nice simple tool that worked really well (and surely gave google wonderful information on what stories interested me, and which didn't).

Not just the Reader platform itself, but the way other apps could be plugged into it - get a new podcast player and it just took a couple of clicks to point it to me reader profile to get all my feeds.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Dieter - "The idea that you would need an account with a third party in order to read/manage/aggregate RSS feeds is ludicrous."

I imagine the requirement for you to have an account is so that the provider has the opportunity to monetise your use of the service. Regardless of what you think of Google/Facebook/etc., a charity they are not.

5. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Why do I have this vision of Google management waking up the morning after Facebook announce their RSS reader and screaming "what have we done? Oh God, WHAT HAVE WE DONE?"

6. Silver
    Unhappy

Difficult

I imagine that this is going to be a non-starter for people who are at companies that block Facebook but not Google Reader.

7. Ian 55

Is this the evilFacebook that turned off the RSS feeds for users' posts, updates and comments

.. back in June 2011, perhaps because they weren't showing any ads or 'play this game' crap?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like