back to article Privacy chief says biometric concessions not good enough

Proposed Europe-wide rules governing biometric passports are still unsatisfactory despite some concessions, according to the European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS). The European Commission has proposed a revision of EU regulations governing the issuing of passports. The new rules demand that passports contain certain …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete

I think

I might just take up some sort of hobby which means my fingerprints are permanently obscured or damaged, not in a painful way, just in a way which makes it hard for them to read them.

Candle making used to be effective when I was a kid, certainly with regards to ink fingerprint kits. but I suspect technology has moved on.

Any suggestions?

(yes I realise this would cause me no end of hassle, but that hassle goes both ways, it's a sort of passive resistance)

2. tim

Bricklaying

works well, especially if you are female and asian

3. Kevin Johnston

Age restrictions

Having been forced to sit through one of these 'docu-drama' things about airlines some time ago, I am just waiting for the fun when they finally set an age limit and a passport is requested for someone a few days below the threshold. The TV thing had a child travelling who was young enough to be 'on a lap' on the way out but would be a real passenger on the way back. The ticketing system couldn't cope with a change of status and the parents quite reasonably asked why they were being asked to buy two single tickets at a cost higher than a return based on the post-birthday age. The airline response was 'wibble'.

Would the age limit be the passport expiry date? Could make that a VERY expensive application but if not then any attempt to use it post-birthday would be seriously amusing.

4. Al Amet

Jobs that remove fingerprints

When I was younger and before I started working with computers I did furniture refinishing. That was over twenty years ago and I still have few finger prints because of it. Currently the only way I can get whats left of my fingerprints to show up is to wash my hands throughly with a harsh detergent removing the oils in the skin so that they show up. A little hand lotion makes them all disappear.

From what I remember reading an article about fingerprints years ago there are about a dozen different jobs, all involving hand labor, that can cause fingerprints to disappear. Brick layers are another group that won't have fingerprints. If you continuously work with an abrasive material over years the body quits manufacturing the fingerprints.

Then there are also those people for genetic reasons don't have any at all. I remember a newspaper article I read years ago about a family that didn't have fingerprints and it was likely that since the parents didn't have them and passed the gene onto the kids that their kids would likely not have fingerprints either.

This topic is closed for new posts.