back to article ROBOT COW teaches Saudi kids where milk comes from

A farmer from Tayside has sent a plastic robot cow to the Middle East in a bid to educate Saudi children about where milk comes from (from robot cows, perhaps? -Ed). Kenny Farquharson describes himself as a "plastic farmer" and builds life size beasts to show children how nature works. His latest creation - a fully milkable …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ChrisM
    Coat

how far...

Will cow gags get milked...

Someone will have a beef with this story...

I know where the door is thanks... No need to push!

1. Gavin King
      Coat

Re: how far...

You'd better hoof it! (I know I am.)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: how far...

I am cowed by your inventiveness.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Udders!

Actually, Saudi has the world's largest dairy farm - http://www.alfaisaliah.com/index.asp?id=125

And some parts of the country are incredibly fertile; especially when you get up into the northern mountains where it even snows!

1. Bumpy Cat
      WTF?

Re: Udders!

Yep, bizarrely enough Saudi Arabia actually produces too much milk for domestic requirements, after some over-enthusiastic investment in the dairy sector. At least, that was the case several years ago; a quick google didn't yield any current information.

1. Don Jefe

Re: Udders!

That's what I didn't understand. They article said the cow was built for a company that runs dairy farms but they were having trouble finding a cow. My first thought was that if you are going to have a dairy farm you probably want some cows but then figured maybe they're running the farm vaporware style and just waiting for outside investors to come along.

Then I discover they have a thriving dairy industy complete with their own cows. I don't get it.

2. James Micallef Silver badge
      WTF?

??

with respect to the question "where does milk come from?"...

aren't Saudi children breastfed??

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Bacon sarnie

You forgot to mention this is also the site of the UK's best bacon sarnie, as voted by El Reg readers.

I guess probing bacon sarnies is what you do when not following the UK's leading on-line lesbian magazine?

1. ian 22

Re: Bacon sarnie

Bacon and Sarnie^WSaudi Arabia in the same sentence? Shocking.

4. Tchou
    FAIL

The cow is just a container... I don't see anything robotic about it

1. Marvin the Martian

No the lesson is this: democow with 50L inside.

Cows are born small and stretchy. Then they drink themselves full of milk until big and round. When empty, you eat them. There must be a conservation law for milk or something.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Coat

Re: No the lesson is this: democow with 50L inside.

First, assume a spherical cow...

5. F111F
    IT Angle

A Mooving Story...

..but since it's "Friday" here in Khamis Mushayt, so we don't need the IT angle, right? Or was that an udderly ludicrous assumption?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

tit flashing is streng verboten in Saudi Arabia

even robotic tits. Had he accompanied his produce (product) he might have come back minus his hands, if not genitals, feet and head in a poke.

7. ian 22
    Paris Hilton

Need. More. Data.

Is that real milk being squeezed from the faux cow? If so, how is it put in the cow? Does the cow have a refrigeration unit to preserve the milk? Is the milk full fat? Do the kiddies drink the milk? Are Arabs lactose intolerant?

So many questions, so few answers!

1. Don Jefe
      Happy

Re: Need. More. Data.

The magic of The Milking Cow will be broken when some kid sees the head removed and the body being filled by a skrungy maintenance guy with a pumping cart.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually there is some grain of truth here

Children born and raised in a large city (like mine is) strongly believe that grocery refrigerators are the real producers of milk boxes. I had to take mine to some sort of a museum-like farm where he was confronted with the unpleasant truth when meeting the real thing. I find this somewhat sad thinking that unlike him, I had the opportunity to spend a good part of my childhood at my grandparents small farm in the company of a variety of such utility pets. On the other hand he is much better than me at using my mobile phone.

9. Anomalous Cowshed

Cow

Isn't it about time they replaced all the real cows with robot ones? I mean they could even be self-pasteurising and self-cleaning and smell of roses, and really wear bells and say moo, and not go bonkers, regardless of the conditions in which they are kept and what they are fed.

10. Oldfogey

Wurzels

Nellie the Robotic Cow

11. gregthecanuck
    Angel

What an udderly fantastic idea!

12. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Alert

Don't confuse a laban mustache with a labian mustache whatever you do.

13. deadlockvictim

Camel Milk

Aren't camels used as a source of milk in the Middle East and North Africa?

Why could one of these be used instead?

14. Danny van der Weide
    Trollface

Real cows...

... will kick you in the face if you milk them in an unpleasant way, or or if you are lucky, they'll just topple you bucket.

Does the robot cow has a similar function implemented?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like