back to article Chewbacca held up by TSA stormtroopers for having light sabre

The hated stormtroopers of the US Transportation Security Administration earned themselves another little bit of public ire over the weekend, as they briefly held up the actor who played Chewbacca in the Star Wars movies over concerns that he was tooled up with a light-sabre. However it turned out that in fact brobdingnagian 7 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Quinch
    Facepalm

I'm not seeing the problem

They spotted something that looked like a possible weapon, carried by someone who looked like he could use it with deadly efficiency. They pulled him aside - didn't steal anything, didn't land their Millenium Falcon in his exogorth - he was in and out in five minutes.

While I haven't had any firsthand experience with the TSA {and the horror stories I hear make me avoid transferring via US, damn the plane costs}, this looks like exactly the kind of thing they - and any airport security, for that matter - is obligated to do. Keep eyes open, identify possible threats, investigate quickly, politely and professionally and if no threat exists, thank the passenger for their time and send them on their way.

Authority abuse is apparently commonplace in the TSA, but the knee-jerk reaction to jump down their throats whenever they do anything is counterproductive, IMO.

1. Corinne

Re: I'm not seeing the problem

People who genuinely need a stick to walk with (rather than just carry one for image reasons) tend to walk a bit differently from most e.g. leaning a bit on the stick, walking stooped over or limping. These factors sort of counter the "deadly efficiency" view you're suggesting.

ANY walking stick can be used as a weapon, and illicit items can be carried inside a modified walking stick - does this mean every person carrying one needs to have "special" attention by the TSA?

1. Quinch
        FAIL

Such a walk can be artificially affected - and the article points out that the reason Mayhew was pulled aside because the cane was noticeably heavier than they tend to be - hence the presumed checking for said illicit items.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

He had a heavy walking stick carved to look like a lightsaber. You think airport security SHOULDN'T check that out, because you think he might have been walking with a limp? That makes no sense.

2. Don Jefe

He is OVER 7 FEET TALL! Of course his cane is going to be heavier than a normal specimen. Just like a small persons cane would be lighter than average.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yes, he's a seven foot tall man carrying what looks like a heavy wooden sword onto a plane.

You don't see why security might want to check that out. Really. You don't get that.

1. Anonymous Coward
              FAIL

"Yes, he's a seven foot tall man carrying what looks like a heavy wooden sword onto a plane.

"You don't see why security might want to check that out. Really. You don't get that."

In the first place, that remark is blatantly sizeist. Count yourself lucky not to be reported to the Discrimination Police.

Moreover, a "light saber" doesn't actually look like a sword at all. You really should get out more.

2. druck Silver badge

Corrine wrote:

People who genuinely need a stick to walk with (rather than just carry one for image reasons) tend to walk a bit differently from most e.g. leaning a bit on the stick, walking stooped over or limping. These factors sort of counter the "deadly efficiency" view you're suggesting.

Not seen Yoda fight then?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

What's a non-Jedi doing with a lightsabre anyway?

To be fair, trying to board a plane carrying a replica weapon, even a fictional one, is not the brightest of things to do nowadays - particularly in the USA.

1. Danny 14
        Holmes

perhaps they were looking for droids?

2. Thomas 4

And this was the point...

...that Chewie regretted not paying attention when Luke was prattling on about Jedi mind tricks.

3. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

"No social media played a role..."

But a Jedi in the queue did - "this is not the light-saberstick you are looking for"...

4. cduance

wookie

Beat me to it lol

this is not the wookie you are looking for

5. frank ly

Have you seen what a light sabre can do?!

They were right to pull him in for checks and questioning.

6. C 18
    Happy

My advice...

...let the wookie win...

7. C 18
    Happy

Of course he did have the option...

...to use the real 'Chewbacca defense'...

8. KierO
    Megaphone

Only recently had my first experience with the "dreaded" TSA.

Yes they are a bit draconian

Yes they almost made me miss my connecting flight (luckily it was delayed)

Yes they were a bit rude and officious.

Am I that bothered? No, because the UK Border Agency is almost as bad!!!

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

"because the UK Border Agency is almost as bad!!!"

Certainly not, unless you are wearing a wrong type of shoes, of course.

1. Danny 14
        Stop

I have *never* been stopped by UK border. TSA on the otherhand just love to queue up the british for "S" treatment.

1. Don Jefe

I get pestered shittily every time I go to the UK. They suck just as bad as the TSA (minus the stealing your stuff bit) but they don't tend to gang up on you/surround you like hyenas like the TSA, which is nice.

2. Tom 38

Last time I came back in to the UK, I didn't even have to interact with UK border agency personnel, just one of their robotic friends.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Last time I flew back from the US (including an internal flight) I didn't even have a passport (it was lost/stolen).

It was almost comedy... "ID?" "I don't have any, I have lost my passport and am flying home" Oh, carry on then.

Landing home in the UK "ID?" "I lost it, but am a UK citizen" "OK, fill in this form" (form filled in - basically, name and address) "OK, welcome back to the UK"

2. rh587

Or a t-shirt with a picture of Optimus Prime on it...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2065320/Airport-staff-stop-passenger-boarding-for-wearing-Transformers-T-shirt.html

9. Aldous
    Trollface

The TSA caught a terrorist!

Did you not see those films where he was part of the insurgents who attacked the defensive armies of the imperium?

1. RecQuery

Re: The TSA caught a terrorist!

Soul Plane 2 - The Blackjacking?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Y-A-W-N

Delayed a whole 10 minutes while they inspected his 6" long cane. This is your typical big deal non-news story over nothing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Y-A-W-N

"Delayed a whole 10 minutes while they inspected his 6" long cane".

A six-inch cane would be of very little use even to an altitudinally-challenged individual.

11. BornToWin

How illiterate

"hated storm troopers" my a$$. What ignorance. I hope the clueless are onboard the next flight that is blown up or crashed. Hating people for protecting your a$$ is a very dumb thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How illiterate

The only 'a$$ protection' they seem to manage is in the form of a blue surgical glove.

And you just have to take it on faith that it's a fresh one.

2. P.Nutt

Re: How illiterate

Protecting my a$$!!! The fact they found someone stupid enough to sit next to a x-ray machine for 12 hours a shift proves in itself they are not the best and brightest America has to offer.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"even so, TSA operatives in Denver..."

Denver. Makes sense. When I go through other airport check-ins, I have no problem. "What do you have in your pockets?" "Nothing, but my body piercings WILL set off your sensors!"

:scan, hand wand:

"You're OK. Have a nice day"

Denver? Pulled over and they seem in full panic mode. "I'll strip nude..." "No! No need for that sir! We'll just get a supervisor..." As if Denver is the hot-spot of infiltration!

I've got about 130g or so of metalwork on my body and in Denver I had TWO TSA guys checking on me. I need to wear my 'batsuit' more often in airports - a skin-tight neoprene suit can't hide much, so they seem to worry less.

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
      Terminator

Should be fun when the Missus goes through the detector then, her "piercings" are 11 screws and 2 plates holding the shrapnel of a bad TPF together.

13. Rufusstan

Perspective goes both ways.

I can see the need to stop major threats and he was only held up for 10 minutes or so, but I thought it was something huge. It just seems to be scaled up for a 7 footer. -- I'd post a link to a pic, seems not trusted enough yet, easy to find anyway

Personally, I just think the TSA guys just wanted an excuse to have a look; it is pretty impressive.

By the way, have to love the dangerous threat stuff. He is 7 foot 3 and all, but also is almost 70.

1. Tom 13

Re: but also is almost 70.

Remember: Wormtongue always regretted he was not able to keep Gandalf from bringing his walking stick into the court chambers.

14. Roby

Wait, is 'Mrauuun' supposed to be a phonetic transcription of the sounds wookiees make?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Mrauuun"

Pretty accurate IMO

This topic is closed for new posts.