back to article Want a fast, private Wi-Fi channel? Fine, go fight the regulators

Ruckus Wireless has been helping satellite comms biz Globalstar prove that its model for a privately licensed Wi-Fi channel is technically perfect, even if it remains legislatively difficult. Globalstar would like to create a private band for Wi-Fi (one that it can charge top-dollar for) using the spectrum it has failed to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Roid McUser
    Paris Hilton

Interesting business model

little or no bleed from ch12 and 13, they have 100% coverage of the US ( and the rest of the world for that matter ). Proposal is that the private channel 14 is used to uplink Femtocells, cellular base stations and wifi access points. It's an expensive way to deliver Internet bandwidth but could get it to almost anywhere on earth and provide solid communications backbones.

Global coverage map is something special though even if the latency will suck.

1. chris 17 Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Interesting business model

Global coverage map is something special though

Only in the US definition of global.

Iirc Japan can use ch 14 & eu up to ch 13.

2. Nifty Silver badge
    Stop

But only 1 operator could play?

I somehow don't think that multiple operators could coexist on the one channel. So the 1st operator to make the land grab becomes the instant global monopolist?

Ain't going to fly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: But only 1 operator could play?

This would be AT&T in my area. I think they've got an AP on every lightpole. My Galaxy SIII can see 3 of them and my L430 can see 8 of them.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

"a Channel 14 network could achieve three times the range and much higher speeds than open-access channels"

This is obviously nonsense. You might as well claim an FM Radio station on 103 MHz has three times the range and quality of one on 100MHz.

1. Nifty Silver badge

Yes it is rather slack description. Perhaps the article means, performance is better as the channel is completely empty and unpolluted by nearby ones?

2. Bill Ray (Written by Reg staff)

That was the finding of the study, but its obviously thanks to the lack of interference in that band rather than any inherent advantage in frequency.

Sorry that wasn't clearer in the piece.

Bill.

4. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Range

"You might as well claim an FM Radio station on 103 MHz has three times the range and quality of one on 100MHz."

It does, if there are dozens of other stations on 100. In the countryside it's no difference; in the city, 1, 6, and 11 are packed and people will put APs at 3 or 8 or 9 or so and these also get pretty busy. Each AP broadcasts at least every 100ms. The range is cut for sure due to a sharp increase in the noise floor.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like