back to article Apple at WWDC: Sleek new iOS, death of the big cats, pint-sized Mac Pro

Apple came out swinging at its detractors during its Worldwide Developers Conference keynote presentation in San Francisco, announcing a slew of new products including iOS 7, the next version of OS X, new MacBook Air notebooks, a "sneak peek" at the next-generation Mac Pro, and iTunes Radio - nee iRadio. "Can't innovate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. corestore

Brilliant. RED introduce Rocket X, Apple introduce a server with no slots to put it in. Talk about joined-up development.

All show and no go. All talk and no trousers. That's not a server or a workstation, it's an art form. I don't need an art from.

Windows or Hackintosh here I come. #notbuyingit

1. Mark 65

Just what you don't want - a Mac Pro with cables and shit running everywhere. I thought the whole point was they were internally upgradeable?

1. Craig Cruden

What's so hot about internally upgradeable Mac Pro?

What matters is not whether it is internal or external expandable - only that it is EXPANDABLE.

I have a fully loaded Mac Pro 3,1 (early 2008) and it is maxed out. I have 4 monitors, two graphics cards - which left one slot left over for a eSATA controller - no more slots left.

The new Mac Pro (as far as I can figure out) can still handle my four monitors, and has a lot more expansion options -- up to 36 external devices at the speed faster than my current bus operates. I gather from your tone that you would still be upset at the loss of the parallel port, the serial port, the 5 1/4 and 3 1/4 floppy drive..... as long as what replaces it is the same or better - I really don't care - I don't want my floppy back :o

2. Chris 3

Not ideal, but: http://www.rcblogic.co.uk/p-2481-sonnet-echo-pro-pcie-thunderbolt-adapter-two-slots-full-length.aspx

3. JDX Gold badge

Just because it's a powerful workstation does not mean it needs to be any more easily upgradeable than a regular workstation.

Most Apple using-professionals don't spend their time upgrading the thing. The old Pro might be great from a PC user's perspective but the sales figures show it simply isn't that interesting to Apple users. Cool is what Apple do...

1. corestore

If I can't put a Red Rocket card in it, it's as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

And PCIe expansion via TB? Kludgey mess of cables and crap, connected by dodgy consumer-grade connectors. No thanks.

Similar issues for other cards people rely on - Kona, high-end sound cards etc. etc.

2. corestore

I dare say many, perhaps most, pros don't use the expansion slots.

But Apple just just totally killed those of us for whom they're absolutely essential. You CAN'T grade & edit 5K raw footage in real time without the Rocket accelerator card! Likewise for things like the Kona video card - although AJA have a new TB2 external Kona box on the way - but it's still a nasty kludgey solution. And even TB2 is NOT close to being the equal of PCIe 16x lanes, so external PCIe boxes aren't the solution. They've crippled the thing, all for a snazzy form factor. Unprofessional.

This is Apple kissing goodbye to a lot of serious motion picture / post-production work. Some of the critical tools - Redcine-X and CS6 - are already available on Windows. FCPX isn't, but then Apple already screwed up FCPX so badly that it's barely relevant any more.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well

They must have figures that that market wasn't worth it for them. If it were, then they wouldn't have brought out this new Pro. I don't think there are enough 5k editors on the planet to make it worth Apple's while to develop a new system for them. If that means losing a few thousand people to Windows, then so be it.

OTOH, this might just force peripheral makers to come up with some TB devices.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: Well

"OTOH, this might just force peripheral makers to come up with some TB devices."

Or, as happened with Photoshop and Illustrator in the 1990s, it'll force the software writers to look at Windows or even Linux instead.

Good to see Apple are looking after the niche industries that kept them in existence in the bad old days...

3. David 138

You have to be able to upgrade graphics cards to support new features in programs. Especially true with Video Editing.

4. jonathanb Silver badge

Well for example, if you are working on video, you probably need lots and lots of fast local storage. Solid state is obviously fast, but no where near big enough to store many hours of uncompressed video from which you will put together your movie. Would you rather get a load of external Thunderbolt drives and plug them into the back of your machine, or get a load of the fastest 3 or 4 TB internal drives you can find and put them inside?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I'll wait for real-world tests before dismissing the concept

Curiously, this article from eighteen months ago seems to predict this new Mac Pro, suggesting the concept isn't too alien to video production professionals:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/25/macbook-air-thunderbolt-editing-4k-video-shows-why-the-mac-pro-as-we-know-it-can-die/

"The concept proves with enough RAM and a powerful processor, Thunderbolt could enable smaller Macs to do the work of a Mac Pro. Hard Drives, PCI cards and everything besides the processor and RAM can now be connected via Thunderbolt rather that being built into the box.

Apple could modularize for their Pros. Think about starting with a Mac Mini with a XEON Processor and lots of RAM (OK, the cooling stuff might turn it into a cube)."

And that was using the less flexible Thunderbolt 1, not the newer TB2. These guys also seem to find TB for RED Rocket acceptable:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?80661-Thunderbolt-RED-Rocket

As for desk clutter, the people who are processing this much video are likely to have a rack mounted solution for storage already. Should a Mac Pro fail, it is quicker to plug a spare machine (even a Macbook Pro) into the Thunderbolt than it is to swap the drives (and exotic PCIe cards) out of the dead machine, allowing the studio to get on with chasing that deadline.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Thumb Up

@Dave 126 Re: I'll wait for real-world tests before dismissing the concept

exactly.

2. LPF

You get a NAS, stop whining!

5. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

"Cool is what Apple do..."

EH?

6. Greg J Preece

Cool is what Apple do...

And work is what workstations do. The clue is in the name. The only Mac desktops I ever came close to liking were the big-ass towers, because when I'm doing work (on a workstation, of course) then I want a big ass workstation I can modify to my requirements as and when necessary. If my work changes in such a way that I need a new component, I shouldn't have to pay over the odds for a Mac-specific one and trail cables over my desk.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Let me get this straight...

...Windows was uncool because it ran on Intel chips.

Unix was uncool because beardy geeks like it.

Vista was uncool because of the interface.

And now Apple is using all of them,

Apple is the new old.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Straight as Freddie Mercury

Windows was uncool because it was ubiquitous therefore an easy target (coolness is a distinguishing factor of the minority), plus it was a security nightmare. Even Steve McQueen wouldn't have been cool if he had STDs up to the eyeballs.

Unix has never been cool or uncool - it's a professional tool and is 'cool-factor' exempt.

Vista WAS uncool, but not because of the interface - the interface was the only remotely decent thing about it. It was uncool because everything else about it was irredeemably shit.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Apple is using all of them' - using all of what? Windows? Beardy geeks? Vista interface?

Must try harder.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Let me get this straight...

Unix was uncool because beardy geeks like it.

And they're even going to use the old BSD Unix naming - Californian landmarks.

(Mines the one with the copy of 4.3BSD Tahoe in the pocket).

3. g e
      Pint

I thought that was gonna end 'Apple is the new uncool'...

Maybe that was a torch n pitchfork moment too far in case the AC's (Apple Cultists) know where you live!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Unix has never been cool or uncool - it's a professional tool and is 'cool-factor' exempt.

Garth in Wayne's World 2 would beg to differ.

Garth: That's a UNIX book.

Girl: Yeah.

Garth: Cool.

4. Puzzeled European
      Holmes

And dont forget you get to have the Cube again, only now its round!

3. corestore

Just one more thing...

3 x 4K displays supported?

Fine, great. Where are the 4K displays…?

1. An0n C0w4rd

Re: Just one more thing...

If they're thinking of replacing the current 27" ThunderBolt display with a 4k version, they're really pricing themselves out of the market.... The 27" TB displays are bad enough as it is.

1. Tim99 Silver badge

@An0n C0w4rd

If you really can't afford $7/week to keep the Thunderbolt display in your depreciation schedule, you aren't the demographic that it is aimed at. Alternatively join the race to the bottom of the market, or enjoy your new career in the fast food industry.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

A handful of 3840x2160 displays were announced at Computex. I don't know when they'll hit the market but nobody knows when the Mac Pro will either, given it contains unannounced Intel Ivy Bridge-E CPUs.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm sure around the time Apple starts selling these new Mac Pros they'll offer a 4K monitor. I'm willing to bet it replaces the current 30" Cinema display at the same price.

If Apple's is too high priced for you, or you think 30" is too small, buy 3 50" 4K Seiki TVs for a TOTAL of $4500...

4. envmod

sorry, are you trying to claim it's apple's fault that 4K displays are not readily available? or that it's somehow wrong to include support for 4K displays?

sorry, what's your point mate?

1. corestore

I'm saying it's inevitable Apple will have some 4K displays to launch with this thing; it would be really dumb to release this saying 'it supports multiple 4K displays - but we don't have any'. So what's the story? Where are they? Will they be the 'one more thing'?

5. MachDiamond Silver badge

There are 4k monitors out in the wild. You won't find them at Fry's or on sale at NewEgg. They're expensive and way overkill for everybody that isn't creating cinema quality content. By expensive, I mean that the monitors cost more than the computer they are connected to. It's interesting that the new MacPro will support such monitors, but it's not that useful for most of us. Without the expansion possibilities of the old (ancient) MacPro, it makes a kind of sense that it's built in.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sure it is interesting for the rest of us. Anything that increases sales of 4K monitors causes them to be made in larger quantities, which brings down the price for those of us who might be willing to pay a few hundred dollars extra for one, but not willing to pay a few thousand extra.

The idea that Apple may start selling the first mass market 4K monitor excites me, even though I will not be buying one, because it will spur a long overdo increase in resolutions for monitors. Say what you will about Apple and Retina, but they pushed things in the small device market to the point where even a $100 Android phone now ships with a resolution better than any phone anywhere had before the iPhone 4 shipped.

Apple didn't "invent" high resolution screens, but they purchased enough of them that they spurred the industry into providing them at cheap price points more quickly than they otherwise would have. I'm eager for them to do the same with desktop monitors, which have been stuck at 1920x1080 (with a big jump higher for 2560x1600) forever, even as freaking PHONES get that same 1920x1080 resolution in a 5" screen!

4. An0n C0w4rd
    FAIL

Mac Pro is now Mac Pro minus

minus capabilities to expand internally. Probably won't have any way to update the graphics chips or storage at all. It's the worst features from the iMac stuffed into something for the pro market.

They'll try and pawn people off that the 6 ThunderBolt 2 connections will give you all the expandability you need. Sure, in an external form factor using incredibly expensive cables and needing tons of standalone power supplies that probably decrease the power efficiency.

I liked the old Mac Pro and was considering getting one. If the direction that Apple is going is "you can have any colour you want as long as it's black" then they've lost the plot. (and yes, I know Ford never said that). For the price that thing is going to cost (given it's high throughput SSDs, probably hanging straight of the PCI bus rather than off a SAS or SATA controller, which probably means Boot Camp is out), the lack of internal expansion options is criminal.

1. tempemeaty

Re: Mac Pro is now Mac Pro minus

If it lacks graphics chip/card upgrade-ability then it's not any kind of Pro machine. To be a machine for any kind of professional use it must have at least that flexibility in it's components. Oh and if they say take it to a Mac store, no, a studio can't do that.

@tempemeaty

"Oh and if they say take it to a Mac store, no, a studio can't do that."

Just curious - why not?

1. g e
          Holmes

Because of the mearest Mac store is (say) 20 miles away from your trendy rural-setting studio, then you're gonna be 10 mins disconnecting and packing then thing, 5 mins getting it to the car, 40 mins driving it into town unless you're really lucky with the traffic, at least an hour in the store while they muck about about then reverse all that back again to get back into the office. Which is the best part of three hours assuming it all goes right first time.

Which is also the best part of £300 in time to most studios when they could spend 20 mins just sorting it on the desk in the office there and then.

That's why not.

5. SD2
    WTF?

Firewire

OK so Thunderbolt ports for external high-speed connectivity makes sense, but 6 Firewire ports do not when one provides only 4 USB 3 ports!!!

Seriously can anybody even name 6 different firewire 2.0 products? I mean I would welcome a resurgence of Firewire tech, but I don't see it happening, so what has driven Apple's decission?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. SD2
        Facepalm

Re: Firewire

Ah, yeah. A little googling shows nobody else mentioning 6 Firewire ports, only the six Thunderbold 2 slots. The story's text should be amended.

As for the Thunderbolt ports - they can be useful since they are such high speed, although this method of connectivity is hardly ubiquitous, and I think most will have a USB3 adapter attached.

2. Sil

Re: Firewire

FireWire had so many compatibility problems.

It is next to completely phased out in the photo industry and in the music industry its days are counted.

Good riddance.

6. JDX Gold badge

Air

I'll wait for reviews, but I have to say I am tremendously impressed they have focused on such a genuinely useful improvement as all-day battery life, rather than simply making it even thinner and lighter just because they can. Of course this is mainly down to Intel and will (hopefully) be seen in WinBooks too, but it's a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

7. NullReference Exception
    Childcatcher

Nitpick

"Designed by Apple in California" is not new. It's appeared on pretty much every Apple product and package (sometimes quite conspicuously) since the dawn of the Jobs II era. Checking my collection, the phrase appears on the bottom of my Flower Power iMac (2000) but not on my graphite G4 (1999) - possibly because the latter says "Assembled in USA" instead...

1. hammarbtyp

Re: Nitpick

"Designed in California, built in China, taxes paid in the Cayman isles"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Nitpick

"...taxes paid..."

Really?

The USA and other Western nations would do well to impose a minimum 25% tax, with credit for any taxes paid anywhere else. The hook can be the US stock exchanges. Profit can be as reported.

8. Captain DaFt

Ah, that takes me back

"All expansion is external,"

Anyone remember the Commodore 64?

1. g e

Re: Ah, that takes me back

Jack Tramiel (sp?) will be suing from his grave

9. Andrew Jones 2

Well.... at least there was ONE interesting announcement today - "Lock Activation" sounds like it might help with phone thefts but I guess we will see.

By the way I was incredibly amused to see the Lock screen now unlocks by sliding up from the bottom instead of sliding "an image along a predefined path".

Every other "feature" is already available in other operating systems.

The "Android fragmentation" card was trotted out again today - they seem to of missed the memo about the new way to update Android - additionally - that's the iPhone 3GS and iPad 1 out of the picture for iOS7. While in percentages it's probably not a huge number of devices - it is still fragmentation - fragmentation still exists on iOS no matter how much Apple attempt to sweep it under the carpet.

1. Pete Spicer

Remind me again, when did the iPhone 3GS and iPad 1 come out? That's right, 2009 and 2010 respectively. And they're only just losing support now. Never mind that it's been hard work getting hold of these for a while for the obvious reason that they've been superseded by multiple generations of product (iPhone 4/4S/5, iPad 2/new iPad (iPad 3 to the rest of us)/new iPad (iPad 4))

Just to put that into context, Android Froyo was just coming out back in 2010...

Seriously, the worst 'fragmentation' in the ecosystem was the iPhone 5 with a different set of dimensions (rather than simply 'doubled' what was there before)

1. Tom 35

It's not when they came out, it's when they stopped selling them.

"When did the iPhone 3GS and iPad 1 come out? That's right, 2009 and 2010"

When did they stop selling the 3GS? That's right 2012.

The iPad 1 only lasted a year so 2011.

Yup, old as the hills, no one is going to be using an iPhone that's almost a year old!

1. ThomH

Re: It's not when they came out, it's when they stopped selling them.

*cough* the final version of iOS available for the iPad 1 is 5, not 6.

1. Pristine Audio

>*cough* the final version of iOS available for the iPad 1 is 5, not 6.

Agreed. An iPad is not a phone - subject to annual or two-yearly updates by the users. Not here, anyway: two iPad 1s still going strong and no great reason to update yet as far as I can see. I just wish I'd stuck to iOS 5.0...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

meh. so you can't upgrade old phone and tablets. So what? I have an iPad 3, so I could upgrade. But I'm running iOS 5, I saw no need to upgrade to 6, and I see no need to upgrade to 7 either. The only thing in there that remotely caught my attention was getting rid of the stupid 8 tab limitation on Safari, and whilst useful, its not worth an upgrade.

1. Wibble
                Thumb Up

> getting rid of the stupid 8 tab limitation on Safari

Use Atomic Web Browser - no tab limitations and includes AdBlock.

2. davemcwish
                Paris Hilton

Yup. I looked at iOS 7 and thought the icons just look ghastly; don't care what Sir Jony thinks. On the iOS 7 site they've also rescaled the iPhone 5. It would be interesting to see what they look like on a correctly sized device.

As for the other changes: Notification & Control centres - not needed them yet. Multitasking - ditto. Safari - dont use. Siri - never used. Airdrop wont work on my 1 year old (New) iPad (3). Camera App - use Pure instead. iOS in the car - OK I'll change if Tim pays. App Store - works fine, what's the use case for "Apps near me" other than being a nosey iFan ?

Apart from the very obvious hyped comments, a lot of what I briefly read was Mac lovers dev ending Cupertino doing a reverse ferret and going back to the 'great designers steal' of Jobs 1994 era (and make them better).

Paris - a better looking 'icon' than the new iOS offerings

2. John 62

Old iOS devices

I myself am rocking a 2008 iPhone 3G. It's still on iOS 4.2, but it still works. True, I can't get the new shiny apps (or many updates) but it still makes phone calls, sends SMSs, plays music, browses the web and lets me play Dungeon Raid and read Classics. I paid 150 quid for the device (yeah, yeah, monthly payments) and I will use it until it breaks.

But I know of very few people with anything earlier than an iPhone 4.

10. Jes.e

Looks sorta familiar..

The new task switching interface sounds sort of familiar and the new Safari tabs interface site sure looks like something I've seen before somewhere..

Oh wait!

I'm also disappointed in the Pro but not surprised. Apple has gone completely over to consumer designs.

Apparently when your clock battery expires in your currant desktop aluminum framed iMac desktop you are supposed to throw away the machine and get a new one as there is no user access to the battery compartment (or anything else) any more.

Contrast this with the internal design of the G5 iMacs. Brass screws for user service parts and security screws for "don't touch!".

Beautiful elegant design at its best.

The revealed Mac Pro is more akin to the old Mac Cube.

I Think Apple's argument here is that computers evolve so fast it's better to replace the whole thing rather than upgrade.

This may be true, but the design is sure cheaper to manufacture giving higher profit margins along with giving more sales per person in the long run..

1. johnnymotel

Re: Looks sorta familiar..

Been using all sorts of macs for twenty years, never changed an internal clock battery, not once. Bit of a moot complaint I'd say.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Looks sorta familiar..

"...when your clock battery expires..."

I have a radio with a lithium button cell (to hold up the volatile RAM during primary battery changes) from 1984 that simply refuses to die. Very close to thirty years old now.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

G5 iMacs were a bit of a disaster

See eggfreckles (blog by a former Mac store senior worker)-apparently repairing customers' inept repairs was a nightmare. He's convinced the experience left Apple determined to seal in everything and bring all repairs into their stores.

11. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Big Brother

iCloud Keychain

Ahahaha. No.

1. ~mico
      Trollface

Re: iCloud Keychain

Now with NSA master key.

12. Eddy Ito
    WTF?

Mavericks!?!

I heard at work and thought; are they naming it after the Dallas basketball team or James Gardner's character in the TV series?

"a place with some of the biggest waves and most extreme surfing in all of North America: OS X Mavericks."

Oh, so it has zero relatability to 99% of most people and I'm speaking as someone living in SoCal. Who knows, maybe that's what they are going for with 10.9 but we'll know after it's been in folks hands for a while.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Mavericks!?!

I reckon it's Mel Gibson's character in the movie of the same name.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

I was thinking Top Gun, so they could soon be giving us Goose and Ice-man...

And for reminding me of that film I think my next tablet should be an Android, as punishment for them.

1. ratfox
          Trollface

Naah, everybody knows that a maverick is a wild cow

2. Irongut

Nah they've designed it specifically for a Spanish Moto3 racer.

1. Darryl

Nope, it's the old Ford family hauler. Next up, the Pinto, then if we're lucky, the Granada

13. ~mico
    Gimp

Dammit

The new MacPro is the first Mac I want to actually own... I've never felt so compelled to use the fanboi icon before.

1. amanfromearth

Re: Dammit

Don't go putting it on the floor by your desk. Colleagues will soon fill it with half eaten sarnies and old coffee cups.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MBA - Apple flash ripoff

£180 for an extra 128Gb flash. Blimey.

WTF?

Re: MBA - Apple flash ripoff

Oh good grief will somebody please take this old argument out to the paddock and shoot it.

It's 128GB of SSD-spec Flash - not a fricking USB stick. A bit of research shows a spec-equivalent SSD would cost you $160 on Amazon. Okay Apple have a bit of a markup, but it's nowhere near as massive as you imply.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Funny...the ones in my machine cost £70 inc VAT. For a better one take it up to £95 inc VAT.

I've seen worse markups on SSDs (server vendors form a line and raise your hands) but for a desktop class part Apple are definitely taking the piss on that SSD pricing.

1. Eradicate all BB entrants

Gouging would be a few years back with the 22" Cinema display. Exactly the same panel I have in my Samsung monitor. I paid £200, Apple were charging £649. £450 for an aluminum case and USB expansion.

The graphics card upgrades used to make me laugh too £175 for a nVidia card that was available for £40 retail and 2 years behind current releases. Then again all of the big box boys do the same, but none are better at making mugs from punters than Apple.

1. Steve Todd

Erm, Apple do not now, nor have they ever made a 22" Cinema Display. They DID make 20, 23, 24 and 30" models. The current one is 27", but includes a bunch of Thunderbolt stuff. Result: your 22" Samsung could not have used the same panel and doesn't provide the same functions as (the admittedly more expensive) Apple display.

15. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    FAIL

Revenge of the Mac Cube

That new Mac Pro won't be so sleek when it's surrounded by a tangle of data cables, accessory boxes with noisy fans and blinking lights, power cables, power bricks, and everything else. A large silver box with lots of internal slots seems very elegant now, doesn't it? The power button is on the wrong side too. This would be a kick-ass Mac Mini but it's a total failure as a Mac Pro.

Still can't turn off the destructive Auto Save "feature". I see no mention of improving the sluggish old HFS+ filesystem codebase. That's not so Maverick.

1. Eddy Ito
      Coat

Re: Revenge of the Mac Cube

I don't know, if done right it could make quite an attractive server cluster if you route the cables right. You know like under the plastic six pack holder.

I wonder if it will have a diet cola version with only four cores per serving.

The real question about the Mac Pro; does it hold a proper pint?

Who thinks the Mac Pro designer will be the next one canned?

Thanks you've been great. I'll be here all week.

1. John Bailey

I think the fanboys have just been Tangoed..

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

For those too young or non-British to remember the Tango adverts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOeG-uTJxw

2. Darryl

<Ring>

Hello?

Hello. Do you have Maverick in a can?

Yes

You'd better let him out before he suffocates!

<Click>

2. Malcom Ryder 1

Don't forget, turn on the computer, then turn on your array of hardrives, and don't touch the cables, least you cause the computer to loose its connection

3. Jes.e

Very good call!

What about the file system?

Where is our ZFS replacement?!?

16. Gil Grissum
    Pint

Really, Apple?

I don't think Wallstreet agrees with Apple's vision for the new Mac Pro. The stock is down. Apparently, Tim Cook has forgotten the G4 Cube debacle. This is a similar set of interesting mistakes but it's magnified due to the fact that they've taken consumer focused design ideas and applied them to what should have been a professional desktop Mac with INTERNAL STORAGE as well as Thunderbolt 2 ports. I could see them doing this if Thunderbolt had taken off and there was a large number of peripherals in the marketplace, but Thunderbolt hasn't set the world on fire with desire and this "tube" isn't going to change that.

1. ~mico
      Meh

Re: Really, Apple?

I am no longer so sure about what Apple can or can't change in consumer market. They killed Adobe Flash. They killed dumbphones. They messed up with firewire. Oh. I see your point :3

1. Sil

Adobe flash is as dead as youtube is small.

2. corestore

I'm not sure Wall Street gives a damn about the new Mac Pro; that's not where the big money is. Follow the money...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Innovation?

Is it just me, or does much of the new iOS interface look just like windows phone with a different coloured background...

LOL at the "Made in California" motifs being splashed everywhere - why not just add "Unlike that EVIL Samsung" to the monicker?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Innovation?

No, you're not alone in that. Though I wouldn't say it's all Windows Phone. The new home screen looks to me like a combination of the late Symbian style and Android. The photos and especially the subscription screen on the other hand do owe more than a little to Metro. This is fine as Metro's pared back design has a lot going for it in the right environment and with the right controls. The overall effect is much more Nokia than Apple, I predict new I-Phones in different coloured cases.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

@Charlie, Re: Innovation?

I saw this and thought "Nokia" too. Both from Windows Phone, and the Harmattan/Swipe UI of the N9 and the new Asha phones.

The slide-in control panes, on-off toggles, messaging UI, and the toolbar controls are straight out of Nokia's Harmattan/Belle/Asha UI, which stem from the Harmattan UI of 2011's N9. The rest is remarkably like WebOS. Incidentally, there's a theme here: Peter Skillman, once lead designer of WebOS, now works at Nokia and did the lead design on N9 and the Asha 501.

Icon design is an improvement, but I think the use of layout grids looks neat, but will make the icon shapes too regular and indistinct from each other (think of how tiring it is to read those typefaces that are constructed on rigid gridforms). I also think that Apple have missed a trick by not using key colours to subtly bind core apps together into function groups, as Nokia do (reference: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Library/Asha_UI/#!style/colour.html ).

The problem with this kind of icon design for third-party app devs is that it's deceptively difficult to do. A bit of photoshop monkeying can hide a poorly drawn design with surface treatment and patterning, but a flat, typographical UI exposes bad draughtsmanship mercilessly. Windows Phone suffers from this, and now Apple are putting their devs in the same boat. I foresee an uptick in sales of Adobe Illustrator... ;)

Also, looking at the icons in this UI particularly, I suspect Jonathan Ive may have some level of colour-blindnes - like his other work, it uses "colour" as a decorative element (and it works well in the selected icon highlight), but there appears to be little thought given to colour harmony: the icon colours are bright, but they clash with each other. On his hardware designs, there was only ever one bright accent colour, and I think he should have stuck to this for the icon sets.

So, who else contributed? Well, I think they lifted the most of the new phone UI from Microsoft, the task-switch UI from WebOS, and the use of a single UI "mood" colour (and drawing it from the wallpaper image) is from Jolla's "Sailfish" OS. I don't see much Android in there, tbh: what there is that's similar is just stuff that was lifted by both Apple and Google from WebOS. Imitation, flattery, etc.

Oh, and the use of Helvetica Light for black-on-bright text is a usability mistake. It looks "clean and sharp" if you've 20/20 vision, but if you don't, or if you suffer from any degree of astigmatism, the legibility degrades badly due to halation (glowing) of the surrounding white areas obscuring the letter strokes. Windows Phone does use thin type, but predominantly as light-on-dark, where halation "thickens" the strokes, improving legibility. (An example of this phenomenon, known since the late 1950s: UK road signage uses a heavier weight of type for white-backed signage than for the green or blue signs to reduce this effect).

Tab UI for Safari is nice, and as far as I can see is the only new bit of UI in the whole mashup. However, at least the iPhone's UI matches the device now.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: @Charlie, Innovation?

@Kristian - thanks very much for the additional background information. I haven't looked at the new stuff in any detail but from my first impressions and what you're saying, it sounds like there is a deliberate element of fashion being introduced into the UI - you can imagine cases and themes automatically adjusting. A usability nightmare but I can see the fashionistas lapping it up.

2. Jes.e

Re: @Charlie, Innovation?

"Tab UI for Safari is nice, and as far as I can see is the only new bit of UI in the whole mashup."

Actually no.

The tabs are directly from the Chrome browser on Android..

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Trollface

At last, they've fixed the crappy contrast by making the background white.

3. Sil

The new emphasis on typography and less cluttered screens sure do remind of Windows Phone.

What's interesting is the use of opacity, something that has been almost phased out from Windows.

I Wonder if it will have any impact on battery life.

4. Bod

I think Microsoft and Nokia lawyers will be getting ready on this one. They need to get patents out though on what they've already produced, but I'd assume Apple have already got them having just copied it all and will proceed to sue MS, Nokia et al as usual.

Manufacturers with square corners need to be prepared too ;)

"LOL at the "Made in California" motifs being splashed everywhere - why not just add "Unlike that EVIL Samsung" to the monicker?"

Suppose it's better than "Made in California so we can stop getting pestered about all that Chinese slave labour and death alegations"

The pride of it being made in California isn't in any way the primary reason for them doing it.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But the annoying thing is it's what Windows Phone should have been

Windows Phone is just ugly. To me at least. Black screen and solid black rectangles, all the same colour. It's like an experiment gone a bit too far, or maybe a really austere skin.

And seriously, Samsung need to get some better designers. I know they have them, I have some awesome live wallpapers designed by them on my Nexus 4.

18. Piloti
    Thumb Down

Radio…

So, Apples version of radio no Radio Four then?

Not much of a radio service if you can't get actually radio stations,'eh.

19. Paddy
    Childcatcher

It's Apple

Being forced to buy new kit to expand the new Pro should be expected. It is a fashion statement, you should expect them to pressure you to dump last seasons kit because it doesn't look fashionable - not because it isn't serviceable.

It may not be green, but its how they earn their greenbacks.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: It's Apple

These days, you do NOT need to upgrade your PC every year. A beasty 12-core machine is going to be quite relevant for several years.

20. ChrisB 2

Agreed

Far more likely that the markets reacted to the lack of announcements on new iDevice and other consumer hardware.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Agreed

>Far more likely that the markets reacted to the lack of announcements on new iDevice and other consumer hardware.

Really? Even though Tim Cook had said well advance that there wouldn't be any new iDevice hardware?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Agreed

Sadly, yes. Wall Street , much like fandroids, demands gimmicks.

21. This post has been deleted by its author

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hot Mac Pro?

All that computing hardware packed into such a small volume doesn't bode well. Resting something on top of the machine could provoke a meltdown!

1. Muscleguy
      Flame

Re: Hot Mac Pro?

If the heat moving capacity is as good as they claim then I can foresee a market for a clip on wire frame that allows you to cook on top of it. Just watch the pot noodles don't boil over . . .

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: Hot Mac Pro?

I was thinking of a HEPA filter attachment for allergy free computing.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Phil Schiller

also said Gigabytes instead of Gigabits when referring to the transfer speed of Thunderbolt.

I think he was reading from a prompter.

24. Stephen 2

Where's the innovation

Some software updates, an upgrade to the macbook air and the mac pro desktop :/

25. Bad Beaver
    Facepalm

Mindbending

I did not get into the details much as of yet, but even the casal observer will notice that…

• iOS 7 "borrows" quite a bit from the other kids, including Sailfish, WebOS, Symbian …  (!)

• if people spend MEGABUX on a Mac Pro maybe they want to be able to stick their long, hard edged thingies in it. Or cram a number of them in a rack. Or stuff the thing full of platters. Or … well, do stuff pros do.

It's amazing how much the company lost the plot. This from a dyed in the wool Apple kid. And I don't give a damn about how they name the OS.

1. David 138

Re: Mindbending

It looks like an HTC, S4 Blackberry 10 with a windows 8 simple theme. Also the lock screen is pretty much taken straight from he Nexus 7

Wonder when they will try to "Protect Innovation"

Also the no need to bump phone feature to share pictures is a short sighted way of trying to get around missing the NFC boat. Lets see that work in a no reception area :P

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh good grief. If they had continued with the old design, you would have said "Apple is dead, they don't innovate, blah blah blah". Now they have a fresh coat of paint which follow Ive's design philosophy which, need I remind you, predates the designs you referenced, and you whine that "they don't innovate, blah blah blah". Why don't you crawl back under your Android rock...

1. Sebby

Well, NFC would have been nice. Apple could have standardised that, made it more attractive, made it more useful ... but missed the boat instead. :(

2. Steve I
        Go

"no reception area" - reception for what? You mean someone where the wi-fi's being jammed? You DO know how AirDrop works, right?

26. Parax

Power lead on the front? what are they thinking?

At least its got a heated cup holder.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How has no one noticed?

The new Mac Pro is the iTrashCan... Looks just like my space-aged bin of 2006.

Also, having Apps in the background not have access to CPU, I hope to god you can disable this. Some of us multitask when things are churning, say we're compiling and don't want office chair sword fights (c.f. XKCD)

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ios7 is just Android catchup

Features we already have..

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/06/10/ios7-vs-android-a-quick-comparison-after-the-wwdc-keynote/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Re: ios7 is just Android catchup

what a load honestly, please don't make me read poor journalism next time. that "reporter" has never used an iPhone nor a Windows Phone. And the whole piece reeks of pro-android subjectivity, in the worst prepubescent way.

29. Sil

Ugly as hell

Sure it's not the primary purchase criteria but I find the new Mac Pro look ugly as hell.

What do you think?

http://poll.pollcode.com/gq33c

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ugly as hell

it's not the primary purchase criteria

Really? It's an Apple product - the aesthetics are supposed to be important. That's the only reason I have a Mac Pro rather than a plain old PC from someone like Dell (in my case it's a dual G5 that was decommissioned from work, but I did have the choice of that or a Hewlett Packard PC).

30. gc73

New phone mock up?

Usually they demo the new OS on a mock up iPhone on screen, but that doesn't look much like any current iPhone...

31. Sealand
    Alert

Design for the sake of the design?

For a while now I have suspected that with Jony Ive at the helm of development (or whatever), we'd gradually see Apple steer more and more towards design for its own sake - not for the user. The Mac Pro certainly seems to confirm my suspicion. It looks like they have tried to convert the Pro into a consumer product, which is kind of missing the point, I'd say. Unless of course they are paving the way for something else ...

And iOS7 ... well, after skimming through the guidelines, I think it resembles the Windows Phone UI more than just a little bit, abandoning many things that I like about iOS in favor of, well, design. Perhaps when I get my fingers dirty I'll get to like it - after all, many things that seem odd in the UI guidelines are actually very well thought through with respect to usability - but right at this moment I'm confused as to which signals they are sending.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Design for the sake of the design?

I don't see it as design for the sake of design. I get the feeling that the basic design premiss is the single thermal core. With one big chuck of aluminum extrusion that all of the cpu's and gpu's clamp on to, it minimizes the number of fans down to one and simplifies air flow through the enclosure. I would have preffered something square with the power button ON THE FRONT with a couple of USB and Thunderbolt connections along side so I could plug in stuff without trying to get around back damnit.

I am already migrating from an all-in-one configuration to having an external drive bay that I can swap drives with. I constantly need more storage as a photographer but I don't need every drive online all of the time. Lightroom lets me have a preview of my pictures and lets me know what drive they are on. If the drive isn't mounted, I can get it out and stick it in. That doesn't work with internal drives on my MacPro.

I've always like that most Macs are sufficiently featured that as general purpose machines they don't need a stack of expansion cards installed to be useful. Applications like high-end video that benefit from dedicated hardware will probably see the manufacturers putting that hardware into USB or TB boxes rather than cards. That should keep them viable longer than the ever shifting tide of card slot standards. At this year's NAB show in Las Vegas, there were loads of announcements of TB enable kit.

32. Waspy
    Gimp

iOSweb10WindowsGoDroid

Apple has never borrowed anything from anyone, ever, which is why they can sue the shit of everyone. Oh, but wait, what's this? iOS7 looks like Windows Phone, MeeGo, webOS, BB10 and even Android...nice one lads, better drop the whole lawsuit schtick then

33. Tony Paulazzo

iOS7

a raft of improvements to such elements as multitasking, the Safari mobile browser, and Siri. Still no ability to change the default browser, no resizable widgets and still flat textureless boring icons.

"We just completely ran out of green felt," and idea's.

Siri gets an upgrade I actually like Siri, seems to understand me better that GNow.

Still no intelligent password control (if connected to known wifi turn off password). One positive - the makeover looks like a nice implementation of MS' TIFKAM.

Take the text away from the icons then say what each app does, only about 50% are obvious, and the itunes / music player are almost the same.

34. corestore

What they SHOULD have said...

Actually, you know what I think one of the problems is?

Dishonesty.

If Apple had said 'We've made a business decision to kill the Mac Pro; we're withdrawing from that marketplace. But, we have this insanely cool new box which we're calling Mac Power; we feel many Mac Pro fans will love it' - well, that would have gone down a lot better.

1. Jonathan 29

Re: What they SHOULD have said...

Unlike Microsoft I do believe they know what they are doing. Clearly they have given this to the B team to design and manufacture and are just as likely to redesign next year as scrap altogether. I would like to know why though. Although a small market it does hold some prestige.

35. spidercrab
    Alert

Bing! What are they thinking? I understand the whole let's sever all ties with Google stuff. Google is the best search provider by anyone's standards and Apple choose to use Bing just so they don't use Google.

As a committed Apple user, this is one more example of the inter company rivalry that is spoiling the customer experience. Steve Jobs would not have done this.

1. Chet Mannly

"inter company rivalry that is spoiling the customer experience. Steve Jobs would not have done this."

*cough* adobe flash *cough*

:-)

36. exexpat
    FAIL

Macbook air screen has stayed at 2010 spec i see. I'm on a nearly 2yo asus ultrabook with a better screen spec (1600x900). No upgrade from me until they upgrade the screen.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Named by surfresort?

Surfing is trendy like free sex, drugs and rock 'n roll. Back to the year of 69? Doh. Come on Tim Cook!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Named by surfresort?

Mavericks is hardly a 'surfresort'. Search on Youtube. It is one hell of a motherfucker of a break.

38. bag o' spanners
    Devil

Designed and assembled in California, but the components are all from Asia. Wave that flag, Mr Timmy.

39. Matthew 17

Great spec

Not sure about the form factor, will make racking it interesting with the bottom-top cooling, those FirePro cards are likely to push the machine beyond my reach, they're $4000 a piece retail! Mega throughput.

Very sexy spec, looks wonderful too, not going to want to hide it on the floor.

I've been holding out for a new Pro for ages, will hopefully be able to finance one of these when they hit, my current machine just doesn't have the horsepower I need any more.

40. Purlieu

Party like

... it's 1985

41. Eddie Knopfler
    Pint

Pint sized?!?!

Pint sized? Someone get me to the fucking pub...

1. Parax

Re: Pint sized?!?!

What, they come in Pints too?!

42. jason 7

What % of business is the Mac Pro for Apple?

Just wondering.

Maybe they feel it's time to let it go.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well....

iOS 7 is certainly underwhelming. It's perhaps not a bad thing for usability to be a bastard son of Windows Phone and Android, but it must be mightily embarrassing to Apple, and ultimately it goes just that little bit further towards undermining the Apple Advantage.

The OSX naming strategy? I guess it's all part of saying "we're still that fun little company founded by Steve Jobs" - time will tell if that works.

The Mac Pro - well if it were a consumer-level product, it would be perfect, but I don't see it filling the Pro niche at all for all the reasons people have already given. As someone who does still need FireWire (for my film scanner) and a LOT of storage, this is utterly useless, even though I really like the look of it.

Whilst it would be absurdly overdramatic to say these announcements are the death knell of Apple, they certainly don't look like the actions of a company in the rudest of health.

1. Steve I
      Go

Re: Well....

"As someone who does still need FireWire (for my film scanner) and a LOT of storage" - $30 for the TB<->FW adapter and a pro external RAID array?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"$30 for the TB<->FW adapter and a pro external RAID array?" - Blimey, that's a cheap raid array! ;)

You're right, except I don't really want external adaptors and unnecessarily externalised primary storage. What's outside is backup or network storage and remote from my workstation - works for space etc.

1. Steve I

But if you don't need huge amount of external storage & silly amounts of CPU, perhaps a high-end iMac is more suitable?

44. Colin Ritchie
    Windows

Mac Pro Mini

So glad I Hackintoshed back in January, adios amoebas!

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dejected

I went in expecting an orgy and came away limp and all underwhelmed. Has anyone heard of the word?

The only company that still thinks less is more!

And fanbois WILL pay.

WTF, all that secrecy, drama , hype, rumour mills, gasps, fanbois holding their breath etc etc.

46. Fuzzy Duck
    Meh

hey apple..

thanks for bringing those great android features to ios, and making them a bit prettier...

47. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The iSheeple are out in force! defending the undefendable.

Maybe, just maybe they are waking up from their Apple induced coma and recognising there are better alternatives.

1. Sealand
      Holmes

Yup, you nailed it!

Now I just need to figure out how to get out of my Miele-indiced coma and get a new washer ... and life will be sweet.

48. Silverburn

Internal vs External

Personally, I don't see the problem with this.

If I'm gonna spunk many thousands on fast, massive storage etc for 4K processing - possibly a number of times more expensive than the Mac itself - I want it to be transportable away from Apple if I choose to do so. If the external connectivity cable/controller is as fast as an internal one, going external shouldn't be a problem, gives more flexibility, and it makes the array portable.

The only advantage of going internal would be access to the PCIe bus for storage, but the costs of scaling this sort of capacity would be prohibitive for 4K, so you'll look to localised editing anyway, but the raw stored on an array.

The only wrinkle is the video cards. Red Rocket is indeed out, but we'll just have to see how well the Fire Pro's do. I notice the brief wording doesn't highlight whether realtime 4K playback is possible. If it is, then the *new" 4K editors won't need to fork out on a RED. RED might even introduce a new breakout box if it can't do full playback. But by far the biggest issue is the non-standard video card form factor. Of all the new "lock in" technologies in the new Pro, this is the worst. Shame on you apple...

1. LPF
      Paris Hilton

Re: Internal vs External

The thunderbolts ports mean that you can connect the pro to external NAS enclosures as you say anyone spending that amount of money on the pro machine is not going to skimp on storage. Plus a PCIe enclousure will allow you to use all the old cards that you may require. and I'm willing to bet big money that if enough pros are sold that the manufactures will build cards to fit the new format.Remember this cards sell for big bucks, not some £30 barely faster than integrated rubbish.

quite frankly the new design made me moist downstairs !

Paris becuase she also likes a bit thick black tube

49. Craig Cruden

Expandable and a worthy replacement

Oh my god - things have changed - the sky has fallen in....

Lets compare my current Mac Pro (early 2008) with the current. I have a Mac Pro with all the slots and drive bays full.

2 ATI 5770 Graphics controllers take up all but one slot - and connects 4 monitors.

1 eSATA controller hooks up external HD drives.

(total of 5 cables).

New Mac Pro I will have the same configuration with 5 cables (no more cables unless I extend it further)

- 4 monitors hooked up through HDMI and Thunderbolt cables

- 1 external hard drive enclosure using a Thunderbolt cable.

While my current Mac Pro is maxed out, I could add another 31 more devices to the new Mac Pro. People arguing about loosing a slower internal bus for a faster external one.... are probably the same people that complained about the loss of their floppy drive, parallel port and serial port. Why are people arguing that they want to be more limited by the existing configuration?

50. Spoonsinger
    Unhappy

iOS7, Wow!!!!!...

But not in a respectful sense, and not really aimed at the new design, because that's all it is. Underlying functionality is exactly the same, (vertical cover flow thing really doesn't count). In fact there is no actual reason why the setup couldn't keep the old look and have the new look. Then have a switch to allow people to choose how it looks - or gods forbid, allow them to mix and match or add their own style.

But in the bigger picture it does give the 'commentators' something to chew the fat over on their various 'new media' sites. Thus providing revenue from adverts, and thus allowing them to feed their 'wealth' back into society. Yeh! for the current economy of gossip, scare mongering and general ill informed criticism.

51. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OS X Maverick?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Fail!

52. Steve Evans

"Apple came out swinging"

If that's how you swing, you'd get beaten up by a blind-folded, one-armed eight year old.

<mental image>The Family guy British episode fight with the chicken/pheasant</mental image>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSr4-q6VLeY

53. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thunderbolt

Imagine some kind of external box that could be sold that the graphics card comes contained within. The box would be bristling with inputs and outputs and would connect via Thunderbolt.

Perhaps that's what Apple have in mind. Instead of a card that the average Joe might not want to install himself, anyone could buy a box and plug it into the back of the machine?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like