back to article The Reg's best-looking reader reveals list of jobs for the beautiful

A Register reader has posed as a hottie in order to reveal the positions available on a job-advertisement board for beauties only. Our man told us he employed his professional photo-editing skills to take model-quality snaps (although we're sure he's being modest) and then join beautifulpeople.com, a dating site for sexy folk …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

Weren't www.beautifulpeople.com previously listed as www.narcissism.com ?

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>"The advert did not say why it was important for a radio presenter to be good looking."

It's perfectly possible that Heart FM had posted the advertisement for the same reason the Reg have had a reporter apply to the site - to get an edge on a story of interest.

Two friends of mine, already couple, applied to www.beautifulpeople.com some years ago for a laugh- she got in quite easily, but it took her boyfriend quite a few attempts - and they then exchanged spoof flirtatious messages before 'getting together'. The website contacted them "Congratulations! Actually, you guys are the first couple to get together on our site, could we discuss using your story to promote our site?" at which point my friends confessed to just messing about.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Oops!

I wrote 'Heart FM' above when it should have been 'Heat Milton Keynes'. Silly me.

2. horse of a different color
      Mushroom

I have a face for radio, or so people tell me. Perhaps I should contact Natalie B?

3. Velv
    Paris Hilton

Good looking on Radio

"The advert did not say why it was important for a radio presenter to be good looking."

Because the first thing most listeners do when they hear a sexy voice on the radio is google the name. So one can understand why new recruits need to be considered good looking, since there was a reason some of the longer standing presenters were on radio. (And to be honest, the eye candy was usually rubbish at presenting radio, the not-so eye candy being the much more entertaining presenter).

Paris - example in point - eye candy = rubbish presenter.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Good looking on Radio

Surely that's what fake photos are for. It's Heat Milton Keynes, who's going to find out?

1. TheOtherHobbes

Shouldn't they have one for cities?

'Concrete bunker with fake cows and soap opera estates seeks sweeping Georgian terraces and ivy-covered ruins for naughty fun and weekends in/out."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Terry Wogan. Dave Lee Travis. Chris Moyes. Chris Evans. Jimmy Savile.

Beautiful people.

The case for the prosecution rests.

1. Corinne

Yes look at that list of MALE names. Now list me a few female presenters who aren't at least passably good looking.

1. Ian McNee
          Thumb Up

@Corinne: check out BBC Radio 4 - you get the full gamut of shapes, sizes and looks in male and female presenters, journalists, comedians, etc. - IMHO two of the most talented people on R4, Eddie Mair and Jane Garvey, do not conform to the media-imposed norms of physical beauty.

Not that R4 is perfect - they have a significant London-centric middle class Oxbridge bias (again the two people above don't fit all those categories). And you are right that the media in general are far harsher on women over their appearance than men.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Now list me a few female presenters who aren't at least passably good looking.

No, I shall not sir. To do so would be ungallant!

1. Tapeador

"No, I shall not sir. To do so would be ungallant!"

Was just thinking the same thing.

Although that James Naughtie bird is definitely a bit of a minger

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Although that James Naughtie bird is definitely a bit of a minger

Yeah, but I like it when he talks dirty - "Jeremy Hunt, Culture Secretary..."

3. M Gale

Now list me a few female presenters who aren't at least passably good looking.

Jo Brand?

Okay, so she has a certain "cuddly" look about her, but she's hardly size 0. From her material, I gather quite proudly so.

1. Corinne

Comediennes are allowed to be cuddly, or even plain looking; it's the big exception. Plus we were talking about presenters whose whole job is to put forwards other people's work or introduce other acts.

Then again, anyone remember all the rude comments addressed at Mary Beard when she did her series about Roman everyday life? Screeds of rude and insulting comments all addressed at her appearance, nothing to do with the content at all.

2. Spoddyhalfwit

You missed out Alan Partridge! Once voted the second sexiest radio presenter in the whole of Norwich.

3. teebie

"Terry Wogan. Dave Lee Travis. Chris Moyes. Chris Evans. Jimmy Savile.

[...]

The case for the prosecution rests."

Nope, the case for the prosecution is still busy with some of those people.

3. Jason 24

The trouble I tend to find with "beautiful" people is they are quite dull. You don't need to be exciting when everyone thinks you're amazing and fantastic to look.

It's about 4-5 months in you realise they don't actually do anything but look pretty.

Therefore they can't be any good for radio. Moyles wasn't pretty, but he was entertaining.

1. JLV
        Thumb Down

>The trouble I tend to find with "beautiful" people is they are quite dull.

Asinine comment. There are plenty of beautiful and smart men or women around. Having the one doesn't mean you can't have the other. Nor does being homely automatically mean you're deep.

And no, I am not talking about the not-stunningly-beautiful woman who claimed that she couldn't keep her job because of her looks. She's probably lacking in both.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2330597/Is-Laura-pretty-work--just-pretty-deluded-Move-Samantha-Brick-theres-new-ego-town.html

The problem only happens when their looks get the better of their brains. Or when the people surrounding them assume they are automatically all round awesome just because they're hotties.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

« The trouble I tend to find with "beautiful" people is they are quite dull. »

WHO ARE YOU CALLING DULL!?!?!?

4. JLV
      Boffin

Not to mention that our local radio stations typically have their DJs show up on stage @ various music or sport events that they are involved with.

Fair or not, it's not unreasonable to surmise that the entourage around cute-but-not-always-talented musicians is preferred to be cute as well.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

" Because the first thing most listeners do when they hear a sexy voice on the radio is google the name. "

Same thing happens with Air Traffic Control. Unfortunately we do not (usually) get their names so no chance to Google. :(

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Holmes

important for a radio presenter to be good looking

surely you've heard the phrase "a perfect face for radio"?

1. smudge
      FAIL

Re: important for a radio presenter to be good looking

Yes. I read it in the article. Didn't you?

5. jake Silver badge

During the meanwhile ...

... my wife just came back in after spelling me walking a horse that we board that tends towards colic. I'll be out again after the foreman's 20 minute shift. She has shit on her paddock boots, horse snot on her shoulder & hay in her hair. She is the most beautiful woman in the world. The whippets & greyhounds agree with me, so we must be right :-)

"Plastic People" --Frank Zappa

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: During the meanwhile ...

Or 'Beauty Knows No Pain', by FZ ( You Are What You Is)

6. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    WTF?

WTF....?

"......An advert offering a "magic carpet" of a job selling spinal implants......an enormous amount of business and competition."......" I'm sorry, but I must have missed the massive interest in sticking screws in your spine. It's even more worrying that there is an enourmous amount of competition in the field!

Happy

Re: WTF....?

Matt,

If you were a true hunter*, you wouldn't allow these petty difficulties to affect your mind.

*Good grief! How was someone who thinks they have a sense of humour allowed into HR?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Happy

Re: I ain't Spartacus Re: WTF....?

Would be fun though, being able to say you bend people over and screw them in the back for a living.

1. wowfood

Re: I ain't Spartacus WTF....?

Become a lawyer.

2. Triggerfish

Re: WTF....?

Actually I have a friend who does this and apart from the fact its sales. It sounds a really interesting job, they have to know and practice performing different types of surgery related to their job, have been in theater seeing things like the da vinci machine being used, and have to know and do a whole host of other quite geeky stuff.

It also pays quite well.

7. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Duh!

"We asked whether she thought that having a sexy au-pair might be a distraction for her husband, but she didn't reply either."

She must have been looking for a sexy *male* au-pair, you silly!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Duh!

My dad used to run a business and whenever they needed a temp, he'd always line up 5-10 interviewees, to check out how they looked.

And then hire the ugliest.

Aside from keeping my mother off his back, he reasoned that if the temp had kept good employment, and it wasn't for her looks, she must be ok.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I needed to hire 2 graduate temps, very specific academic requirements. Wife (also business partner) and I narrowed down to 3 for interview, turned out best CVs were female. Pre-facebook so no idea of looks we laughed when three babes turned up! Chose the blonde and the redhead. Livened up the office that summer.

2. John 62

Reminds me of George Costanza in Seinfeld. Though the secretary he hired was only plain because of what she wore to her interview. Anyway, George was so overcome with her efficiency that he just had to have a liaison with her.

8. Great Bu

You don't know what it's like......

......for me and the other ultra-beautiful people out there.

I have lost count of the number of times I have been rejected for jobs I was well qualified for just because I am simply too damn pretty*.

*and a massive liar.

Re: You don't know what it's like......

At a place that I used to work, there was a very attractive blond girl in accounts. They used to hot desk, so whenever a PC went wrong, they just moved her to that desk, and she called IT. Funny how it usually took 3 hours to get someone to fix a broken desktop. But she had someone climbing under her desk within 10 minutes, every time...

So, in a large company, every department needs at least one hottie.

1. wowfood
        Joke

And on the other hand the guys in IT were thinking. "This is the fifth time we've had to fix a PC she's used this month, what the hell is that daft blond doing?"

1. Anonymous IV
          Happy

Somehow I can't see the IT chaps complaining about the "dumb blonde"...

1. Mark York 3 Silver badge
            Paris Hilton

While doing a rollout of new computers to a call centre in Plymouth, I would only replace machines\scrabble under one desk cluster when a certain lady (I'll call her "Paris" for the sake of it) was issuing train timetable info to callers, as she had a habit of sitting with her heel tucked up under her crotch & bouncing\rubbing slightly on it as she talked.

Couple of other perks about that job was, they kept me on in error for weeks afterwards supporting\troubleshooting the build (mouse driver issue) & the limitless amounts of tea I was drinking supplied by the tea ladies.

Happy times!

1. Great Bu

her heel tucked up under her crotch & bouncing\rubbing slightly on it......

Pics ?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eadon?

This Reg reader... was it Eadon?

1. wowfood

Re: Eadon?

If it was, I hope he didn't visit my profile.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Trollface

As if!

He (she?) would have sent in a shopped Tux as picture.

INSTANT REJECTION FAIL!

10. RobertD
    Joke

Surely...

You've heard about the man hiring a new PA, requirement = speaks 3 languages and can do 100 words per minute. He ends up with a shortlist of 3 - a brunette who speaks 3 languages but can only manage 80 words per minute, a redhead who speaks 2 languages but can do 90 words per minute, and a blonde who only speaks one language but can do 100 words per minute. Who gets the job?

The one with the biggest boobs of course.

1. Corinne

Re: Surely...

Sadly that's exactly what happens. All other things being equal, a more attractive person will get a job over a less attractive one (both male & female). The problems come when the attractiveness or otherwise becomes one of the selection factors other than the very last "tie breaker"...

Me bitter at losing jobs or promotions to younger, more attractive, less qualified & much less experienced people? You bet I am!

1. squigbobble
        Devil

"...younger, more attractive, less qualified & much less experienced..."

You missed 'cheaper'. Maybe I'm just thinking of where I work.

1. Corinne

Nope no cheaper, one set contract rate

2. Tom 7

Re: Surely... Corinne

"Me bitter at losing jobs or promotions to younger, more attractive, less qualified & much less experienced people? You bet I am!"

Sounds like you were better off not working there. If attractiveness comes into it you can guarantee some more important priorities are equally fucked up.

11. NogginTheNog
    WTF?

The law m'lud

Just a thought, but isn't using looks (or gender even) to select candidates for a job* illegal?

* I know there are some where gender is allowed, but I don't think there are any where looks are?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lookism

If you have any information about laws against discrimination based on appearance perhaps you could add it to the Wikipedia article on "Lookism". I see various mentions on the web of there being such a law in Victoria (the Australian state) but that's all I can find with a quick Google search.

1. teebie

Re: Lookism

I believe "lookism" is generally not lawful when it comes to workplace discrimination, unless there is a reason that looks are relevant to the position.

I'm basing this on a case where Hooters were allowed to discriminate against someone. If you want more details google for them, I don't fancy searching for them from work.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The law m'lud

It's only illegal when it involves women. You can't have men only jobs / gyms / clubs. But it's perfectly fine to have women only versions.

Likewise if a woman gropes a guy it's "all in good fun" and possibly thrown out, other way round you're looking ata few years if she doesn't appreciate it.

And of course, if you're a man you aren't allowed to hire an attractive woman over an ugly one because it's clearly your carnal desire which has made you hrie her. While if a woman hires a sexy guy over an uggo it's perfectly reasonable.

Found a comic about this the other day, alas, can't find it at work.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Fibbles

If there were such laws I'd be free to get the full sleeve tattoo that I've been wanting for years without having to worry about future employment prospects. The long hair presented enough problems at interviews before I became self employed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have seen more professional women with tattoos on their wrist - or in another often-visible-in-the-work-place location, such as the ankle - than I have men the same. It's almost as if society expects to see more decoration- in the same way as jewellery or plaited hair- on women.

That is, of course, purely anecdotal 'evidence', perhaps biased by the fact that I was just paying more attention to the gender that floats my boat.

12. Shasta McNasty
    Holmes

Its all relative

The attractiveness of a co-worker is usually relative to the attractiveness of the other co-workers.

Eye-candy can brighten your day, but when that day is warm and sunny and they're wearing tight and revealing clothes, I get bugger all work done.

13. Neill Mitchell

They don't last long.

"Magnum" may get them the job, but they usually wind up dead in some freak gasoline-fight accident.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They don't last long.

I'm kind of disappointed it took so long for a reference to *that* film to appear. :)

14. Anonymous C0ward

Those sound dodgy as f*ck.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like