back to article 'I can’t believe Jobs made the statement … Incredibly stupid'

This was the week when the ebook price-fixing trial got off the ground in the US - and the "incredibly stupid" comments of dead technology legend Steve Jobs weren't making Apple's case any easier. The government kicked off its condemnation of the fruity firm with a string of email evidence from executives at Amazon, Apple and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paranoid Infosec Guy
    Devil

Craphats

They cannot think, they cannot fight, they cannot read a map...they cannot jump from the sky because their hats are crap!

2. Fuzz

MFN

Why isn't the MFN itself considered price fixing?

1. Rikkeh
      Boffin

Re: MFN

Depends on how it's written. Whether or not an agreement is against competition law comes down to whether or not it has the object or effect of reducing competition (that's the UK/EU wording- in the US, it's an "unreasonable restraint" that's then clarified much more wordily, but for the sake of this thread it's basically the same rule).

If the MFN clause says something like "we will pay you X and you can't offer your products for less than X to anyone else", then that's likely to be price fixing. There are some exceptions to this general rule (for example if the MFN promoted competition e.g. through the buyer opening up a new market in return for getting the best price for a limited amount of time), so even if there was a clause like this in Apple's agreement, they've not necessarily been caught out.

If the MFN clause says "we will pay you X, but if you offer a lower price to anyone else then you have to offer it to us as well", then it's not usually price fixing. You're not restricting competition here, you're just making sure that you're getting a good price.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

"...an FDA-approved pill that uses the body to transmit passwords..."

Slight snag.

That would appear to offer two options, neither of which I like. Either you can suffer being locked out of everything on a regular[1] basis or, every time you take a shit, you can sieve your turds to retrieve the pill for a quick rinse and reingestation.

[1] YMMV, depending on your dietary habits.

1. 100113.1537

Re: "...an FDA-approved pill that uses the body to transmit passwords..."

No, you take lots of them every few hours - they are powered by your stomach acids and thus have only a short lifetime anyway as they are "digestible".

I am more concerned about range as they will have to be able to broadcast their signal through your stomach lining and various other bits and pieces to reach your 'phone, PC or whatever (arms as wires is just marketing crap). So what is to stop the signal authenticating the 'phone of the guy behind you in the queue at Starbucks? It isn't like you can can store your stomach in an RFID opaque case and just take it out when you need it....

4. Alister

Re: Trivia

My understanding was that the term craphats came about because most infantry regiments in WWII wore khaki (i.e. crap coloured) berets, as opposed to the Maroon berets of the Paras.

1. Don Jefe
      Happy

Either you have a different definition of khaki or something is terribly, terribly wrong with your poo.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They didn't have colour back then, the world was black n white.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Either you have a different definition of khaki or something is terribly, terribly wrong with your poo.

Perhaps he's been eating a lot of spinach... Popeye would be proud!

1. hplasm
          Coat

Perhaps the spelling would be kaki ?

2. Alister

Re: Trivia @Stuart Longland, @Don Jefe

> Either you have a different definition of khaki or something is terribly, terribly wrong with your poo.

> Perhaps he's been eating a lot of spinach... Popeye would be proud!

I'm not sure if this is an American vs British thing, but Khaki (as in the battledress colour in WWII) is a yellowish brown.

Fairly close to the colour of my poo...

:-)

1. Don Jefe

I guess it is a 'translation' thing. Here in the States it is a light tan color: Like the color of a middle managers slacks :)

1. albaleo

"Here in the States it is a light tan color: Like the color of a middle managers slacks :)"

Yeah, OK. But what color is khaki in the States?

1. Don Jefe

Light tan...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Never mind that berets are utterly useless in general, regardless of the colour.

Gimmie something useful like a gatsby/spitfire or a coolie hat… I'll leave the berets for the fanbois.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mark of the Beast

Didn't the bible warn about something like this?

6. Stevie

Ah!

I'd like to be the first disobedient slave to offer my nipples to the alligator clip hands of Mistress Regina.

7. Mookster
    Black Helicopters

I thought that those working in security only wore tin-foil hats.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like