back to article So, who ought to be the next Doctor Who? It's up to YOU...

Right, you lovely people: we've trawled through your suggestions as to who should step into Matt Smith's shoes as the 12th incarnation of Doctor Who, and it's time to put it to the public vote. It's a mixed bag, to be sure, with some top talent in there more than suited to pocketing the keys to the Tardis. So without further …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cursed form

I'm clicking submit and naught is happening. Obviously somebody is conspiring against Noel Fielding.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cursed form

We can only hope!

2. YoricHunt

Re: Cursed form

Yeah, Noel Fielding would be a travesty. He was funny in one series, and hasn't been funny since, oh and he can't act.

Benedict Cumberbatch would be the best quite obviously, but I feel the Doctor is slightly beneath him, so wouldn't actually like to see him get the role.

I'd like to see a relative unknown, like Smith was when he took the role.

3. Keith 72

It doesn't even appear on the TIFKAM app!

2. wowfood

It'd be nice

If they did a 2 round voting system on this, I mean with the number of candidates there will be many who'll likely only get one or two votes, (normally from the guy who proposed them)

I'd say unless there's a clear winner, as per elections, a second ballot is held with only the top few candidates from the previous round. That or somebody at El Reg could program a new voting system so that people can select a second choice candidate.

1. Ben Rose
      Stop

Re: It'd be nice

The third comment and already somebody is suggesting Alternative Voting? ;-)

1. Code Monkey
        Windows

I'm waiting for someone to blame Microsoft.

1. Ben Rose
          Trollface

Now you mention it, the Tardis does crash a lot lately.

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

In each round they could eliminate the half of the candidates with the lowest score until somebody has more than 50% or somebody wins the penalty shoot out.

1. Anonymous Custard
          Joke

In each round they could eliminate the half of the candidates with the lowest score until somebody has more than 50% or somebody wins the penalty shoot out.

Well that'd eliminate any English actors from the role, especially if there are any German ones also on the list...

1. Richard 120
            Facepalm

Oh come on, it's a joke, why the downvote?

3. Jonathon Desmond
        Happy

Forget AV, let's go full preferential for this one & do it properly! :-)

1. MrT

Could do with...

... a "Hell no" button - I've a bag full waiting for that Grint lad ;-)

3. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

That list puts every other poll on the web to shame. Magnificent.

4. Phil W

So many choices

So many good options in there.

Benedict Cumberbatch would be interesting but given his high profile Hollywood status now I can't seem him doing it.

I think Robert Carlyle would do a marvellous job. Patrick Stewart or Alexander Siddiq (I assume this is actually supposed to be Siddig with a G, Julian Bashir from DS9) would both do an interesting job, but I can't see them having the energy and edgy nature required to appeal to Dr Who's current audience.

Robert Carlyle as Dr Nicholas Rush certainly shows he can do edgy.

1. Phil W

Re: So many choices

Also Alexander Siddig has a ridiculously long real name. It'd be awesome to see it used in credits.

2. WonkoTheSane
      Headmaster

Carlyle is caught up in "Once Upon a Time" for the foreseeable future, and Siddig is involved with "Da Vinci's Demons" - both of which have been renewed for next year.

1. pikey

yea but that is only around 8 episodes.. and also made in Wales :)

3. Ben Rose
      Megaphone

I think Cumberbatch should be the new Master!

5. gaz 7
    Mushroom

Shatner for Who

I still maintain that Bill Shatner would be great as Doctor Who. No more fanciful than some of the suggestions, and way better than some. Miranda Hart for frigs sake? Let's just have McCoy back then

1. Tom 13

Re: Shatner for Who

I actually like McCoy. Ace too. It was the scripts and production work that was crap they wouldn't have served in potato blighted Ireland. Just thinking about it reminds me of the gawd awful candyman episode where you couldn't hear the dialogue under the background music.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Stringer bell as the new doctor? Cant see that.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think it should be a shared role between engelbert humperdinck and Benedict Cumberbatch.

1. Ben Holmes
      Happy

Engledict Humperbatch?

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
        Happy

or

Gerry Dorsey ....

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

Engledict Humperbatch?

I had that, but the doctor gave me some pills...

1. Ian Yates
          Coat

Who is your doctor?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

He's always been Cumberdict Benebatch to me.

8. Anonymous Custard

Where's Sean Pertwee gone?

I'm sure he was mentioned several times in the original comment list, and is one of the front-runners at some of the bookies.

1. Shrimpling
      Unhappy

Re: Where's Sean Pertwee gone?

I was hoping to vote for Brian Blessed...

They have left out the best options

1. Anonymous Custard
        Joke

Ah yes, but then they'd have to give him a companion named Gordon at some point, just to shoe-horn the trademark line in as well...

And anyway, the TARDIS may be bigger on the inside than the outside, but I'm still not sure it's big enough for his persona and voice :)

2. h3

The only interesting thing left is the Time War. (Maybe what happened to the doctor's daughter after she regenerated).

It really has gone down hill for me.

I get the impression they won't deal with the John Hurt thread to my satisfaction.

I don't think trying to add love like threads to Doctor Who makes it any better at all.

Seems they put a proper amount of effort in for Ecclestone but then didn't really bother.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alexander Siddiq was originally credited as Siddig El Fadil, but this was changed post 9/11. I wonder why.

1. bixbarton
      Mushroom

Check your facts before you defame someone.

He changed his name in 1995, 9/11 was in 2001.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And the reason was because people kept shortlisting him for roles based on his name and then realising that he didn't fit the role at all when they actually got to see his face.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's annual

I've noticed there's a 9/11 every year. In fact there's two if you count the American one on on the 11th September as well.

1. Phil W

Re: It's annual

Still think the full credit would be best though. I'd love to edit all my DS9 episodes to have it

Julian Bashir - Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: It's annual

Don't care what name he goes by just that he is an excellent actor

10. sibster
    Pint

the obvious has been left out

Johnny Vegas, beer icon cause he likes it :)

11. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
    Coat

Watch the trend...

We started out with a Doctor aged 55, and I think that our last one was 25?

There is an obvious trend here. I predict that the next Doctor will be below 20, and that the series will finish when he reaches 0...

1. Ben Rose
      Stop

Re: Watch the trend...

Benjamin Button already had that plot line.

1. wowfood
        Go

So what you're saying is the next doctor should be Justin Bieber? And he should be shot repeatedly by each of Doctor Whos enemies while simultaniously being kicked in the groin?

1. Anonymous Custard

So what you're saying is the next doctor should be Justin Bieber? And he should be shot repeatedly by each of Doctor Whos enemies while simultaniously being kicked in the groin?

And the problem with this would be? Certainly gets my vote...

2. adrianww
          Trollface

Well, there's been a lot of talk about a female doctor, so Bieber would fit the brief on that score.

1. Ian Yates
            Trollface

I don't think you can assign Bieber a gender

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Following the trend http://mdfs.net/Docs/SciFi/DrWho/ActorAges the next Doctor will be about 25, the 13th Doctor will be about 20, and then all sorts of timey wimey stuff will happen as he hits puberty and gets another 12 regenerations from somewhere.

12. Ben Rose
    Megaphone

Not Going Out

I reckon Lee Mack would be good here, or even his sit-com side kick Tim Vine. In fact, Tim Vine could be awesome.

Throw in Lee's flatmate from Not Going Out as a wild card, no idea what her real name is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sally Bretton

swoon ....

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hugh Laurie, with the dodgy leg and the vicodin addiction.

1. sisk

Actually Hugh Laurie would be an excellent Doctor. Dodgy leg and drug addiction or not.

14. Khaptain Silver badge

Bill Clinton

Monica as sidekick

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Bill Clinton

That would suck!

15. John Sager

Wot, no Sheridan Smith?

Missed your first candidate call, otherwise I would have suggested her. Lot of no-hopers in that list though. You can immediately chuck out the ones with no Equity card. However, in the absence of Ms Smith, I think Rhys Ifans playing his Howard Marks character would be suitably counter-cultural.

1. Craig Chambers
      Stop

Re: Wot, no Sheridan Smith?

I know the list contained Billie Piper too, but surely anyone who has been a companion is out?

I think the plot contortions needed are too much.

1. Ian Yates

"the plot contortions needed are too much"

You must be watching a different series to me.

I'm sure the sonic screwdriver can be used to explain it away.

1. sisk

the plot contortions needed are too much

Not at all. Rose not only holds a special place in the Doctor's heard (second, I think, only to River) but she once absorbed the time vortex. That could well be enough to impose her onto one of the Doctor's incarnations.

16. JDX Gold badge

Long list, only one vote?

Couldn't you have shortened it or allow us a top-5... this seems too unwieldy and I like several candidates.

17. PerlyKing
    Go

Tough choice

There are so many great choices here :-) Unfortunately I can't see many of them (the ones I've heard of, anyway) sticking with the role for more than a year or two. Coming from the Tom Baker era I miss the continuity :-(

Ray Winstone could certainly bring out a different side of the Doctor :-)

But I voted for Robert Carlyle, for versatility.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Tough choice

I can already picture Ray Winstone slugging cybermen with a sock filled with billiard balls...

18. Why Not?
    Thumb Up

Robert Carlyle - getting back to a real doctor not a hopeless emasculated victim.

Though now doubt the next doctor will be expected to get jiggy with his co stars because that's what we need in a children's program more sexualisation.......................................idiots.

19. TheresaJayne

Where is the option to have DoctorDonna become the next doctor?

She is already half way there having absorbed all the doctors knowledge and becoming half timelord...

ie Catherine Tate. For the Doctor

1. JDX Gold badge

Being fully timelord wouldn't mean he could magically become her. It's a new body for the same person, not stealing somebody's body.

Also since it's the same person, changing gender just seems implausible. Gender is a part of your identity, not something tacked on.

20. Metal Marv
    Thumb Up

What no Christopher Lee?????

Surely, the only serious choice?

21. bixbarton
    Facepalm

Andrew Buchan

Andrew Buchan

Matthew Gravelle

and let's not forget Andrew Scott (Moriarty) who has a Moffat connection

someone better known?

Alexander Siddig

Richard Coyle (who has a Moffat connection)

But let's face facts, Moffat and Minchin have already decided who it is.

They are either just sorting out the legal work before announcing it to the world

OR

They are going to keep it underwraps till the final moments of the episode on Xmas Day

1. Bod

Re: Andrew Buchan

"OR

They are going to keep it underwraps till the final moments of the episode on Xmas Day"

Fat chance. BBC can't keep a Doctor Who secret for more than a day, especially where The Sun is involved.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Couple missing.

Brian Blessed

David Mitchell.

So I voted for Ray "who's the f*ckin daddy" Winstone...

23. Chris Miller

It's already decided

Sandi Toksvig. Because her BBC contract apparently requires her to be in absolutely everything.

PS Judging by the number for votes for Mr Cumberbatch vs Mr Holder, I can only assume some people are taking this poll seriously.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's already decided

Surely if people were taking it seriously there would be more votes for Kylie?

What??!?

2. Anonymous Custard

Re: It's already decided

Sandi Toksvig. Because her BBC contract apparently requires her to be in absolutely everything.

Be careful with that logic - taken further we'd end up with Fry as the Doctor with Vorderman as his companion (or possibly the other way around, given she's better at explaining things than he is, or at least somewhat more accurate).

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

show needs retooling

Just get the cast from Peep show. I need a laugh while watching all the confused running about the show seems to consist of. Jeremy and the other one as a sort of holmes and watson in space and super hans as the master or something.

bonus, you get a couple of hundred extra viewers come over from c4

25. Ben Rose

Other thoughts...

Ronnie Corbett, Richard Madeley (random, but think about it), either of the guys from Pointless.

In fact, I'm happy with anybody except Miranda or James Corden.

Doesn't Harry Potter need a good job? Swap his wand for a sonic screwdriver.

1. Alister

Re: Other thoughts...

Alexander Armstrong (one of the guys from Pointless) has already appeared in both Doctor Who and Sarah Jane Adventures (as voice), so not a wild stretch

26. Jack Project

I didnt vote and went out and kissed a girl instead.

1. Alfred

Yet rather than do it again or take it further, you felt you'd get more pleasure from typing on a keyboard.

1. Tel Starr

He can't take it further else he'll get arrested (eventually, after 30 years or so.)

27. jm83

Sean Bean

FTW

1. AdamT

Re: Sean Bean

One does not simply walk into the Tardis

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: Sean Bean

And for the Doctor after Sean Bean, in the next episode...

28. M7S

Donald Sutherland

For exactly the same reasons he should have got it decades ago

29. MJI Silver badge

Where is the unknown?

Going to have to choose extending the stories of Doctor 3, sorry Sean curly wig time.

Well if he can marry his own daughter I am sure a son can play his father.

30. MJI Silver badge

Sherlock

Sorry but no, he is not the Doctor. Yes he would be a fantastic villian but the Doctor.

Only if they never had made Sherlock

31. pisquee

Tom Lister

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sue Perkins

So sassy, so funny, so Who.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sue Perkins

Interestingly, I'm pretty mystified by all this "time for a female Doctor" malarkey, and think changing to a female Doctor would be a negative step. But then, I saw SueP on the list, and thought, hmm, maybe...

I'd still prefer they pick someone I've never heard (much) of who can take the role without bringing any (significant) past associations, though.

33. dougal83
    Trollface

No one. Please end this horrible program! Har har! Seriously why do people like it?

34. Lamont Cranston
    Happy

Lots of interesting choices on here

(and many that I've never heard of). All immaterial, though, as Bruce Campbell is on the list, and so I am compelled to vote for him, on the grounds that HE'S BRUCE CAMPBELL.

Actually, he might make for a pretty good Doctor. He might also make for a terrible Doctor, but who cares? HE'S BRUCE CAMPBELL.

I rather like Bruce Campbell.

35. Joey

My vote is for...

Adrian Lester

36. Flakey

My vote goes to

Nigella Lawson in something tight. Ratings would go through the roof.

1. Andy Scott

Re: My vote goes to

Or even Belinda Stewart-Wilson(will's mum in The Inbetweeners) in a top like this

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx68l6NcMj1qck98uo1_500.jpg

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: My vote goes to

Yes, I am sure we could all find some way to slip Nigella in...

37. Parax

Bandersnatch is good as Sherlock, But I don't think he'd bring anything interesting to Who. I like the Idea of Ayoade though.. that would be an interesting roll for him to try, I think we've seen all his daft characters, would be interesting to see if he can do a straight and deadly serious.

38. itzman
    Flame

Brian cox

For Doctor!

1. Lamont Cranston
      Thumb Up

Re: Brian cox

A time machine is just what Broughty Ferry needs.

2. Benchops

It's amaaaaaaaaazing

3. Slacker@work

Brian Cox the actor or the Physics teacher??

1. MJI Silver badge

I am wondering that?

The thin science one or the leader of an empire

39. ColonelClaw
    Thumb Up

Danny Dyer

When I got to his name I couldn't help but release a small lol irl

40. Crisp

Damn, I didn't see Miranda Richardson on the list first time around!

How do I change my vote?

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Luke Newberry ... you heard it here first.

42. Madboater
    Joke

I'm still not on the list

So can't vote until that is resolved.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Ee it's fun to watch the voting

Just like watching the Eurovision Song Contest.

44. Rob Crawford

Decisions Decisions

David Thewlis, Ray Park or Andy Serkis

I went for Serkis but only if he plays him with aspects of Gollum

Matt Berry was missing from the list though, Dr Who with an aspect of Douglas Renyholm would have me watching every week

45. Ocular Sinister

I don't really care much, but...

Surely we must be due for a female doctor by now?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surely we must be due for a female doctor by now?

Absolutely. He says if you change sex first, he's happy to follow suit.

46. Stoke the atom furnaces

Why can I not vote for Dirk Benedict ?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

It'd be because he's not on the list, I reckon.

1. Stoke the atom furnaces

It is kind of a dumb list then isn't it?

47. Pat 11

Bad SciFi

Why is Ben Goldacre not on the list

48. Dave Ross

A Dalek, I wanna see a dalek as the Doktooorrrr!!

49. This post has been deleted by its author

50. This post has been deleted by its author

51. ChrisCabbage

What - no Johnny Vegas!?

52. Elmer Phud

Catherine Tate

She's got previous as the Doctor

53. Afflicted.John

C'mon. No Paul Rhys?

54. VinceH

Optional

I couldn't see my name on the list, so I voted for Jonny Lee Miller. I hadn't thought of him before seeing his name on the list - but I reckon he'd do quite a good job.

55. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I also wouldn't mind

To see an actor who has done Dr. Who in the past to return once again, for example I personally thought David Tennant played a very good Doctor.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I also wouldn't mind

Ecclestone was much better.

Quite why Tennant had to put on an English accent I don't know.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I also wouldn't mind

Because certain international markets can't handle accents.... I thought he'd have been great with a scottish accent as the doctor!

56. George 8

John Simm

I know he was the Master but he is excellent and would make a supreme Dr,

57. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

David Mitchell?

Or John Culshaw? :)

58. Colin Millar
    Mushroom

Joe Gilgun

In full Misfits mode

Or Vince from Mongrels

1. JayBizzle

Re: Joe Gilgun

"Vince from Mongrels"

That is Paul Kaye

i.e. Dennis Pennis, Strutter and he is in Game of Thrones (not dead yet, I think)

It would be left field, but I think it would work... "oi Dalek, did you just call me a c....!?"

59. GettinSadda
    Thumb Up

Eddie Izzard

Having seen Eddie Izzard in Lost Christmas I think he could add loads of depth.

60. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lester

I'm sure it's only modesty that is stopping Lester from putting his own name forward, so can I nominate him. This man has been to the back of beyond (Rockall), touched the edge of space, sampled strange new foodstuffs and even has his own adorable donkey sidekick.

Lester Haines for the Doctor, sonic screwdriver and a crafty rollup at the ready.

1. CmdrX3
      Stop

Re: Lester

Sorry, but doesn't he have a habit of acquiring rocketry assistants who... ahem... lose things. Doesn't bode well for the TARDIS or more importantly.. it's occupants.

61. TheOtherHobbes

A Dalek

A renegade rebel Dalek.

With a bow tie.

62. Gavin 2
    Pint

Roger Daltrey

Meet the new Who, same as an old Who

63. sisk

Ginger?

Yeah, I think it's time. He's waited 11 lifetimes (or is it 12 now?) to be a ginger.

64. Connor

I think that the series should return more to its root personally, i.e. an older, wiser Doctor. I don't like the idea of the Doctors being so young, nor the flirting and kissing with the assistants. That wasn't what the show was about. I also don't like the idea that it should somehow be a black or female actor - just because it ticks equality boxes. Or the time is right, etc... We don't want to get into the habit of changing characters sex and ethnicity purely to reflect the vogue thinking of the time.

That said Don Warrington has more than earned the right, i.e. doesn't just happen to be black and been on TV recently, but also a great actor who has had some great roles in TV and comedy stretching back decades. He's always had Timelord written all over him anyway, at least for me. And whilst we are ticking equality boxes - Warwick Davies. He'd be awesome.

At the end of the day though, the best actor for me would be Hugh Laurie, he's really the only one on the list with the gravitas and charisma to breathe new life into this flagging series.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Coat

I agree that changing the doctors sex and/or colour makes no sense. But would be happy to see Freema Agyeman again (ideally with less clothes).

<= mine is the dirty mac.

65. Tempest8008
    FAIL

Don't know who 9/10 of these people are

At least put photos to the names!

I want to know if he/she LOOKS like what I expect Dr. Who to look like.

Then I can cull a shorter list and look up their acting creds, and whether they can do the requisite running...

66. Dave 32
    Pint

Morgan Freeman

I think Morgan Freeman would make a good doctor.

Dave

67. teapot9999
    Go

Brian Blessed

obviously

68. Andy Fletcher

Boris Johnson

Obviously.

69. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

David Bowie

And he could fix the music at the same time.

70. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The funniest thing...

The "eclectic" mix of people on the list has been one of the funniest things I have seen all week. Danny Dier? - I cannot see that one going down well. As for Dylan Moran.....That would be both fantastic and hilarious at the same time.

However there are some very Interesting people on the list:

Female: Tilda Swinton - think she would be a great first female doctor.

Quirky Male: Richard Ayoade, Noel Fielding

Broody Male: Robert Carlyle

Posh Male: Laurence Fox, Benedict Cumberbatch.

71. Peter 18

Jeff from Coupling

Can you not add Richard Coyle (Jeff from Coupling) to the list? He was fantastic delivering Steven Moffat's dialog, and we could introduce the concept of time felch.

72. Alchemist
    Devil

Alchemist

Robert Carlyle - but only if he reprises his role as Begbie! Those aliens deserve a good kicking!

73. Wattsy
    Thumb Down

Please dont let it be Russell Brand

I will never watch a new Doctor Who again if this poor excuse for a human being becomes the doctor.

74. I mean Meh

What, no

Chris Morris

75. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clive Owen...?

He never made the list which is a pity. He'd make a good Bond too....

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0654110/filmotype/actor

Children of Men (2006)

Inside Man (2006)

Sin City (2005)

Croupier (1998)

Chancer (TV series 1990)

76. TheWitchfinder

No Richard E. Grant? A travesty

77. Knight_who_says_ni!

Karl Pilkington

just not sure how we'd fit in Ricky and Stephen...

78. Si 1

Philip Glenister!!!

I was going to vote Benedict Cumberbatch (even though it's a bit predictable and I think in the past he's said he doesn't want the part) but then I spotted Philip Glenister in the list.

While I'm generally not a fan of actors who play the Doctor as shouty, I reckon Gene Hunt could be bloody good in the role...

79. Jack Faust meets Mephistopheles
    Thumb Up

Chiwetel Ejiofor

He was brilliant in Serenity and Dirty Pretty Things, would bring zen to the doctors character, yes please!

80. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please tell me ...

That Moffat and the BBC crew have already got #12 selected, contracted, written in, and ready to go ??

Something as important as this can't be left to the last minute, let alone the random desires of the Register reading Geek Crew ...

81. Gene

Only one choice...

Johnny Depp!

1. Nigel Hamlin

Re: Only one choice...

Re the suggestion to have Johnny Depp.....

....in his "Captain Jack" persona?

82. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Emilia Fox.

Emilia Fox.

83. Arachnoid
    Thumb Up

We need an unusual character to give the Doctor a new twist so Warwick Davis is my choice

84. Darkwolf

There is only one logical choice for a new doctor...

zaphod beeblebrox

85. mspolytheist

Jason Carter for the Doctor!

US fan here, and I would love to see Jason Carter (best known as Ranger Marcus Cole on "Babylon 5") as the Doctor. He is quirky, and evinces that sort of out-of-timeness that is unique to the Doctor.

86. Cameron Colley

I forgot one -- Warwick Davis would be brilliant.

He's been in Who too now so could be...

Edit: Darn I see I was beaten to it.

87. Arachnoid
    Holmes

Think out of the [blue] box......

Come on peeps its not going to be a high performing star due to cost but its got to be a British born actor/actress so someone well known but not a lead actor.

88. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge
    Go

Iirc after

(blue bottle voice on) 'Eccles' (off) was leaving Bill Nighy was in the running. BILL BILL BILL BILL!!!.

A slightly dissipated louche Doctor.

89. martin burns
    Black Helicopters

Wot No...

John Simm for a really evil twist? Or is the Glenister idea covering that angle? And keeping going in that direction: Monserrat Lombard, who links back to the list via Nathan Barley. Actually, you could pick almost anyone from the Barley TV outing (other than the titular character) and it'd work.

Kudos for suggesting Georgia Moffat. When I put that one to an Actual Canonical Who Author, it was described as possibly the most evil idea heard to date.

90. The Mighty Spang
    Mushroom

David Thewlis, playing it like 'Johnny' from 'Naked'

please god, i've endured 20 years of shit, I want this. Mike Leigh directing as well please and Dick Pope on cinematography.

even if he's not channeling Johnny (which wouldnt happen, thats a bit strong) he would be the best doc for years. superb actor. he would have the gravitas that the last couple of ....things... couldn't replicate.

91. Arachnoid
    Mushroom

Did you say

Bill Bailey!

92. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nobody

Time to lay this to rest and use the budget for some serious SF.

93. bmh

Paterson Joseph ...

... because the Marquis De Carabas was much like The Doctor ...

94. alexmcm

Bang for your buck

Lots of excellent choices on the list ,but 90% of them are outside what the Beeb could afford.

Warwick Davis on the other hand revealed on 'Would I lie to you' that he once accepted a gig to dress as an ewok and jump out of a tree and propose to Star wars fans girlfriend.

So I think money wise they could afford him. But also he'd make a very interesting Doctor.

95. fearnothing
    Joke

Clearly all of you are wrong. The person who this list truly needs is Andy Hamilton.

96. David Kelly 2

Barack Hussein Obama II

97. Tim 64

Jeremy Clarkson

98. kain preacher

What

No jason statham

99. M7S
    Joke

Justin Lee Collins has some time free at the moment

I'm only saying!

100. Havin_it
    Alert

Are you people insane?

I know they'll probably fudge their way out of this, but per the established continuity this is supposed to be the LAST Doctor. And you want Benedict bloody Cumbersome-Name?

Were this not the case I'd have voted Swinton (what better preparation than Orlando? ) but I feel such a move 'd feel clumsy for the last outing.

So Holder it has to be. /thread

101. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kate Burton or Joanna Lumley of course.

102. streaky
    FAIL

Er?

Where's the "Vin Diesel" and "Cancel it, permanently - with nuclear weapons" options?

103. WereWoof
    Trollface

What no Tom Daley?

104. wildnorth

Brian Blessed

Q

105. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Write-in vote.

Jeremy Clarkson.

106. cortland

Youth in Asia

Hu?

107. Donkey

Anyone over 40 who can act

The Beeb's cult of "youff" has made each doctor progressively younger until the logical next step is a 10 year old. At the same time the plot lines have become sillier and sillier. The beeb should understand that this is not a children's program and that it worked best when a more mature person who could act properly took the lead role.

I know now that the appearance of John Hurt in the last episode was a spoiler, but for a moment my heart leapt with the thought that last someone at the bbc has taken their head out of their backside and realised what most of us know they need to do to make this sorry program back into the entertaining saturday night treat that it used to be.

1. Havin_it
      Thumb Down

Re: Anyone over 40 who can act

Utter horsecock. It is and always has been a show aimed predominantly at children. What has changed is children's attitude to the idea of anyone over 50 being a valuable member of society, let alone an intelligent and charming man of "action" like the Doctor. My mum blames Roald Dahl for this cultural shift, by-the-by.

I suppose another change is that we now have a generation of adults who still get this invested in children's-level film and television drama because they never quite grew up. I expect somehow this arrested development is all Who's fault, thus completing the causality loop and saving the multiverse. Or something.

108. Dr Kerfuffle
    Happy

Where is Dawn French on the list? she has been mooted previously for position of the Doctor and would be perfect for it - funny, witty and a great actress!

Please add DAWN FRENCH now !!!!

Paul

109. Matt Bridge-Wilkinson

John Hurt for me would be great, the plot seems to suggest he was the original "pre-Doctor" , would be great if he was also the last. He is supposed to be incredibly old, lets get someone who at least looks like they've seen the universe a bit. Then again the kids probably wouldn't like it so much then and its written for the kids these days...

It needs someone with presence and acting ability plus great voice. Must admit I never considered Patrict Stewart but he would be fantastic too, although I doubt he would sign up for it.

Must admit Cumberbatch has that "Tom Baker" mad haired look and would probably play him well but I he isn't my first choice by far.

110. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who is..

Ian McEllen? I'd vote for him, unless they mean Sir Ian McKellen. The new doctor should, like Smith was, be a relative unknown. While the idea of one of our favourite actors being the Doctor is a fun one, who would watch it and see the Doctor instead of Gandalf?

Doesn't anyone proofread these names?

111. mr-tom
    Boffin

Peter Capaldi's character, Malcolm Tucker, from The Thick Of It would make a great Hartnellesque doctor.

112. Spoonsinger
    Coat

Re :- It's up to YOU...

No it wasn't and thus you have this abomination of popular 'oh that's the last British person we've heard of in SciFi' type ill considered voting.

This topic is closed for new posts.