back to article Speaking in Tech: Endorsing LinkedIn skills on LinkedIn implodes the web?

speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise For the latest Speaking in Tech podcast, Ed and Greg catch up after Greg's recent disappearance on secret-squirrel IT missions, while regular SiT co-host Sarah Vela is AWOL. Maybe her and Ed are the same person and they just alternate every week? Among the hard-hitting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LinkedIn endorsements

I have people I haven't worked with in 5 years endorsing me for things I rarely touch. They're worth absolutely FA... but then everyone knows that anyway.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: LinkedIn endorsements

You can turn it off. Search online.

2. Richard 120

Solaris

I've been endorsed by a number of people I have worked with, for my apparent skills with Solaris.

I have worked on solaris for about 3 months about 9 years ago during a career of 17 years (and counting) it's not a skill I added to my profile myself, someone else endorsed me for it and it appeared.

Now I'm not saying I'm not good at it, but I'd have thought that the people who have endorsed me would know what I actually have worked on when I work/worked with them.

I can only speculate they're confusing Solaris with SuSE Linux.

I prefer the written endorsements, particularly when I can say mine are all unsolicited and not reciprocal.

3. Shasta McNasty
    Meh

Does anyone actually take these endorsements seriously

I'm connected to a job pimp that appears to be the most qualified person in IT in the world judging by her endorsements...

1. admiraljkb
      Meh

Re: Does anyone actually take these endorsements seriously

I'd have to say, "it depends". You can kinda get a feel for things looking at someone's profile and the endorsements, as well as looking at WHO did the endorsing. Also when the endorsements are all over the place, without a seeming specialization, and Oracle endorsements made by someone's plumber, then its not too useful.

I have to say that I get some crazy endorsements on occasion that I'm really not comfortable with, and decline them, rather than letting them show up on my profile and "decreasing my brand value".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sinkedin BS

Likedin endorsing BS must **DIE* *DIE*(DIE***

- come to think of it Linkedin must die

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Sinkedin BS

Here's a radical idea. Stop using sites you don't like rather than whinging about them.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I created a few fake Linked In accounts about a year ago - they got endorsed too!

They are running as a test to measure this, and a few other suspected metrics I'll be documenting when ready. What's more worrying is Linked In actually lying right there in black and white when they say on one of the accs, lets call him "Mr X", who is connected to Mr Y, that "Mr Y found connections using ... blah blah blah, why don't you too" when of course he couldn't have, since I pulled both those accs out my ass.

This topic is closed for new posts.