back to article It's a fiddle! Funnyman's Irish tax flashmob floods Apple flagship store

Comedian and activist Mark Thomas threw a riotous Irish-themed party inside Apple's flagship store in London to protest against the iPhone giant's tiny tax bills. The left-wing agitator led a group of about 50 protesters into the swish Regent Street shop, where they waved signs reading "you are now entering Irish territory" …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. AceRimmer
    Stop

Please stop...

perpetuating the myth that Mark Thomas is "Funny" or a "Comedian"

1. LinkOfHyrule

Re: Please stop...

Well they did rename his old TV programme "The Mark Thomas Comedy Product" to "The Mark Thomas Product". I'm guessing someone was pissed off under the trades descriptions act or something!

He's worth a watch though sometimes even if it is difficult to make a standup routine out of fucking with arms dealers or corporate bastards!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mark Steel would have been better, and possibly bitterer

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And funny!

2. Mark 78
        Thumb Up

"Mark Steel would have been better, and possibly bitterer"

Both are appearing on the same bill next week for charity in Hastings:

http://www.dlwp.com/event/mark-thomas-mark-steel-and-friends

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That time were he arranged for an endless convoy of chauffeur-driven jags with "Mr Prescott" written on card in the front window to pick him up, and just had them all repeatedly waved past by police officers had me in stitches. :)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AceRimmer

He must be a comedian. He appeared on stage with George Galloway. No-one other than a comedian or a fool would do that. I choose not to believe someone who went to a fairly decent Independent school could be that much of a fool.

As for "left-wing agitator", agitation is shouting a bit, doing things like this. Placing a bounty on the head of an elected head of state in a magazine column isn't agitation, it's either comedy or criminal. As I don't recall reading of his arrest, again, he must be a comedian.

5. CmdrX3
      WTF?

Speak for yourself

Personally I find him fecking hilarious and wish they would give him another TV show. Horses for courses though I guess. Some people find Russell Bland to be side splittingly funny, whereas I find him dull, mediocre and obnoxious.

1. Trustme

Re: Speak for yourself

Couldn't have put it better myself.

6. Amorous Cowherder

No he's not "ha ha" funny, he's bitterly funny. I love the watching his shows, he makes you feel very uncomfortable which is what good creativity should be about. Even if you don't want to go and protest about something big, the next time you get irritated by a surly shop assistant you have a lot more gumption and make a point to demand your rights.

3. Frankee Llonnygog

Well-intentioned but ...

... buying a Mac from John Lewis is hardly going to hurt Apple, is it?

1. Gordon 10
      FAIL

Re: Well-intentioned but ...

Duh. Of course it is - if only marginally. Buy from apple they get the full retail amount of your cash. Buy from JL Apple get the full wholesale amount of cash. Clue Retail Price > Wholesale price.

1. Captain TickTock

better still - don't like it don't buy it

2. NogginTheNog
        Thumb Down

On the subject of which, has anyone ever tried to buy a new Mac at a discount? I looked the other week (for the missus) and every online store I checked seemed to be selling at the same price as the Apple Store. Anti-competitive at all..?

1. rh587

Have a look after the WWDC. I noticed last year Amazon dropped the prices on some of the "old" models after the refreshed models were announced. Apple try and wind down supply prior to the WWDC (Airs are in short supply at the moment, so they'll almost certainly get a refresh), but there's always a few bits of surplus stock that get marked down if you're quick.

2. Snapper
          Unhappy

Cos Apple sell to fanbois at such a low price compared to the wholesale price it's charging the various reseller companies, it would be foolish of any reseller to go lower. It's not a conspiracy, it's a commercial necessity!

1. wowfood

I'm glad you put "Compared to wholesale prices" in there. My first thought was "Apple and Low Price? Isn't that an oxymoron?" until I read that.

3. Frankee Llonnygog

Neither of which they will pay much tax on

4. Jelliphiish
    Go

'bout time

Nice to see Mr Thomas getting back into the greater public eye. I remember the Comedy Product.. and watching him at stupid o'clock in the morning at the Reading festival. More power to this man's elbow.

1. Martin Milan
      Thumb Up

Re: 'bout time

Always liked Mark Thomas - ever since the comedy product...

Met him on a few occasions, and he's a real nice guy...

Martin

5. Wattsy
    Trollface

Up with this sort of thing. Now Mark Thomas is on the case the downfall of Apple is imminent!

MWAHAHAHAHA

etc..

6. Cliff

I like this

In itself it changes nothing, but it rankles, it gets under the skin of corporates, it gets things discussed and gets wider attention. Excellent point about John Lewis for instance - again a small action, but small actions and small changes in customer behaviour aggregate... Then people listen.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder.....

if Mr Thomas plans to bring his tour to some of the tax havens under UK control such as Jersey, Guernsey and Sark.

I'm sure his tax evasion material will go down a bomb in these places.

I also wonder if he plans to bring his flashmob to such of the British companies in the FTSE100 who use the exact same tax loopholes to minimise their tax exposure. Strangely all of the media focus has been on US companies.

1. joeW

Re: I wonder.....

Or if he plans on bringing this sort of Toora-loora-top-o-de-mornin-begorrah-where's-me-leprechaun Oirishness on a tour to Ireland? We'd *love* that, I can tell you.

2. Matt 75

Re: I wonder.....

depends what media you're reading I guess. Private Eye frequently points out the tax dodging scams of UK firms. In fact the most recent edition had a story about Vodafone, the one before had Lycamobile...

8. Randolf McKinley
    WTF?

$100Bn cash pile

What I don't understand (tax issues aside) is why the shareholders don't demand a goodly-sized cut of the $100bn cash reserve as a dividend? Why does the company (looking at is purely as a business) need such a large reserve?

Looking at it another way it's 4 years' profit so perhaps it isn't as enormous in relation to that as the raw number seems, but is it usual for companies to retain that much cash? I don't know the R&D spend to bring out a new product, but it's surely a fraction of that?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: $100Bn cash pile

there's probably a sweet spot for a windfall tax between Apple throwing up their hands completely at Ireland and buggering off to somewhere else, pausing only to pay out redundancy and Apple deciding to repatriate the cash and paying the US Treasury.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Isn't that what Apple have proposed? They proposed a scheme whereby they raise $$$ in the US with a bond sale. Then they use that cash to give the stockholders a dividend. This way that can legally pay a dividend without bringing even $1 onshore to the US and paying the 35% tax on it..

Now that $100bn would go a long way to getting rid of Eire's nation debt. That must be tempting for the politico's in Dublin.

1. Matthew 25

"Now that $100bn would go a long way to getting rid of Eire's nation debt. That must be tempting for the politico's in Dublin."

Not really. Do it once and see how quickly Apple, Google Amazon et al leave making everyone redundant on the way out. -- Will the last person leaving Ireland please turn out the lights.

3. magickmark
      Pirate

As I recall one of the problems Apple have is if they try to bring the cash back into the US they'll be hit with something like 30% tax so effectively they have this huge cash pile showing up as profit but they can't use it for anything.

1. deshepherd

The problem Apple have is that they've parked their cash in a location where no tax is paid - US considers it to be in Ireland so they won't tax it until it comes back into the US while Ireland consider it to be "stateless" so isn't taxed in Ireland. Basically to use the money Apple will need to pay the normal tax on it except they seem to be holding out for the US treasury to annouce a special amnesty to all US companies to repatriate overseas captial without having to pay (the full) tax .... probably wrapped up as a "helping US companies bring overseas money back to invest in US jobs" measure or something like that -- they did this once before so everyone like Apple etc is assuming they'll do it again. And in the meantime they can use the cash pile as collateral to raise enourmous money on bonds at low interest (because if necessary they could redeem all the bonds with the 70% of the Irish cash pile that would be left if they pulled it back to the US and paid tax)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"As I recall one of the problems Apple have is if they try to bring the cash back into the US they'll be hit with something like 30% tax so effectively they have this huge cash pile showing up as profit but they can't use it for anything."

That's not a problem: you just bring the cash into the US and pay the 30% tax and then use the other 70% for stuff you want to do. I see no difficulties.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Serious question. If, as Apple have claimed, they have already paid tax on this income earned in other territories, why does the US feel it has any kind of entitlement to 35% of it? You can substitute any other US company that does similar, including Google, with Apple...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"If, as Apple have claimed, they have already paid tax on this income earned in other territories, why does the US feel it has any kind of entitlement to 35% of it?"

Well, aside from any logic, it is consistent with other rulings on tax in the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19101429

I have some sympathy with this approach: if you are a UK subject, for example, you pay UK income tax and if you are resident in France then you obey French law. That will have disadvantages, sure, but what's the logic of not doing so? Do we say that when we're in another country that we don't have to obey the law? Or that if we make a billion quid we don't have to pay tax on it if we're paid the cash while on holiday?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I'm sorry, but I can't see your point. As far as I can see, Apple have said that this income has already been taxed where it was earned. I'm questioning the law, why does the US Federal Government think that it has a right to tax money not made in the US? The law is wrong, and Apple (of for that matter if your ideological view support Google) were right to point this out. Under US federal law, they aren't doing anything unlawful. They simply do not have to repatriate the cash.

As a UK subject that has lived and worked in France, I paid income tax in the state where I resided (France). I didn't pay a single penny of income tax in the UK as it wasn't earned there, neither was I required to. Why should I?

1. returnmyjedi

One for you nineteen for me

But Apple haven't paid any tax on the earnings in the country that they were made, the US included.

2. hplasm
                Big Brother

It's the US tax way- even the 2012 Olympics winners from the US had to pay tax on the cash and a percentage of the medal's worth...

3. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"I'm questioning the law, why does the US Federal Government think that it has a right to tax money not made in the US? "

They have, or take, the right to tax the income of their citizens; what real relevance is it where the income started? What matters is that it's income of a USian.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

"They have, or take, the right to tax the income of their citizens" 35% of it? Frankly, whichever way you look at that, it's wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

""They have, or take, the right to tax the income of their citizens" 35% of it? Frankly, whichever way you look at that, it's wrong"

In what way?

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

In what way is it right?

2. NogginTheNog
          Devil

Exactly. I mean they'd *only* be left with erm $70 billion so well that would leave them a bit short...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Exactly. I mean they'd *only* be left with erm $70 billion so well that would leave them a bit short..."

That's got nothing to do with anything whatsoever. The point is that the US government isn't entitled to a single cent of money that was made outside of it's borders. Doesn't matter if it is $10 or if it is $100 billion.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: "made outside of it's borders" [sic]

You're missing a really important point here. That the profit being discussed was not, truthfully, generated inside of Ireland's borders.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: "made outside of it's borders" [sic]

What? That got *nothing* to do with things either! No one, not even Apple has suggested otherwise. I think you are confusing things with Google's case...

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Tell that to the US IRS - if you are a USA citizen and earning money anywhere in the world they'll try and tax you, less any credit that may (or may not) accrue if you've already paid tax in a country which has a tax treaty with the USA.

Theoretically it's possible to end up with a 100+% overall tax rate.

4. Al Jones

"What I don't understand (tax issues aside) is why the shareholders don't demand a goodly-sized cut of the $100bn cash reserve as a dividend?"

Because the shareholders didn't buy the shares for the dividend, they bought the shares in expectation of a rising stock price. They're not investors, they're speculators, and that $100 billion cash pile actually does more to boost the stock price when it's off-shore and untaxed, than it would if it was turned into a $70billion on-shore cash pile, and was available to pay dividends.

9. Frostbite
    Facepalm

Own goal ?

Video edited using iMovie

1. AceRimmer
      Thumb Up

Re: Own goal ?

I'd bet that at least half the crusties dancing in that store have an iphone and would be in tears if forced to part with it

1. Lamont Cranston

Were they advocating a boycott of Apple products, or just suggesting that people but them elsewhere?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

.... True! And nice that they have time on their hands in the daytime on a Monday, when other people are out at work generating revenue for the taxman.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Could've been a Bank Holiday? Or maybe they all have bar jobs? Or took a day's leave? Or, or....

10. Zola
    Go

I wonder how many of the protesters had an iPhone in their pocket?

Best way to hurt Apple is to stop buying their overpriced tat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder how many of the protesters had an iPhone in their pocket?

Cheaper BOM Galaxy S4 to be sold by Google for $649. *That* is overpriced tat...

2. Mark 78

Re: I wonder how many of the protesters had an iPhone in their pocket?

And how many of them had bought it before they found out about Apples policys on tax, and will change who they buy from next time?

11. Jamie Kitson

iTunes

Doesn't stop him selling on iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/mark-thomas-manifesto-series/id634906877

12. The BigYin

What video?

It's been removed.

1. AceRimmer
      Go

Re: What video?

try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8gz4bE3Aqg

13. Alan Denman

100 times worse than Starbucks?

I recall that Starbucks boycott yet this sounds 100 times worse.

Its a funny old world aint it.

14. Steve I
    Black Helicopters

Corporation tax seems silly.

After all, the money a company makes eventually gets distributed, either into dividends or salaries of the employees or by purchasing components etc. Each time it gets distributed, it get taxed.

What the governments want is for money to be taxed at every conceivable point - when a person ears it, when they spend it, (crafty one this, as tax ends up being paid twice in the same transaction - sales tax on the price of the item and corporation tax on the profit the company make by selling the item), and back to the beginning when the company pays their employee.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Corporation tax seems silly.

and in this case when they simply move it

2. Infernoz Bronze badge
      Stop

Agreed.

The questions that the sheep protesters about corporate tax 'immorality' keep forgetting to ask are:

Why do governments need all this extra money?

Why are normal people paying so much income, VAT, and other deceptive taxes?

Why do there even need to be so many taxes, especially cruel wage taxes?

Mostly governments are Ponzi corporatist mockeries of sound financing, thats why.

ALL organisations, no exceptions, should average minimal or zero debt, not keep piling it so high they have no hope of /ever/ paying it all off and leave toxic Ponzi debt for future generations!

As for the excuse that this will crash the economy, nonsense; just close all central banks, and have a debt free currency which has real value, not fiat lies, i.e. the definition of proper Money. A nice side effect of this will be no more insane Booms, taxing inflation, and cruel Busts, only minor deserved upsets and greater overall wealth, with a fairer share across the wage scale.

1. I like noodles
        Pirate

The questions that the sheep protesters about corporate tax 'immorality' keep forgetting to ask are:

I think you are missing the point. To most, the rights and wrongs of the existence of corporation tax is, I suggest, irrelevant. What is relevant to them is adherence to the rules.

I would guess that most people's complaint is more along the lines of "I go by the rules, I pay the tax I'm told to, I don't get given the option to negotiate how much tax I pay. If I have to do that, then so should everyone else"

If the rules are wrong, certainly challenge the rules - but joe public doesn't see these corporates as challenging the rules, it just sees them as breaking the rules. That difference makes the difference. That is what people complain about.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

"What the governments want is for money to be taxed at every conceivable point "

Of course, they want to hide how much you're paying. UK tax receipts are about £590bn, and there's about 29.7m people in employment. That's about £19.85k of tax raised per average employee (because companies are merely an organisation form - they don't "own" anything, merely hold it for their shareholders). It's the employees efforts that generate the income that might be taxed through the company, so that "per person" figure has some validity.

Compared to the tax some people round here probably pay, that might seem inconsequential, but when you think that the average wage (annualised) is only about £24k, it implies that the average tax take is really approaching 50% of your productive output. Working at it another way, government spending as a proportion of GDP is about 40%, although that excludes cheating like PFI, and government mandated costs in the private sector (such as energy policy costs incurred on your fuel bills, VAT & PAYE collection costs, or legislative compliance costs), which I'd wager add about 5% to what government is spending as a proportion of GDP.

By doing it this way, government successfully persaude the masses that only the rich pay 50% taxes. In reality most of us aren't far off, and even people below the income tax threshold are significant net contributers.

1. Magnus_Pym

"Of course, they want to hide how much you're paying. UK tax receipts are about £590bn, and there's about 29.7m people in employment"

And this is a time of historically low employment. If more people had jobs the cost would be the same or lower and spread between more people. The reason for high unemployment is not, as the Government would have us believe, laziness on the part of the workers (clue: even Governments own figures show far less jobs than workers) but laziness on the part of the Government. It's easier to let the stock market lecture them about 'on paper' profits that vanish into thin air when called upon than get involved with people and businesses that actually make things and provide services.

BTW the biggest single government expense is the pension bill. A cost that has been 50 years in the making. Every chancellor since the war has chosen not to cover the cost of future pensions because it might put voters off, hoping that someone would find a way to square the circle sometime later. All political parties have been playing the 'Live now pay later' game while telling everybody else not to.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ Ledswinger Re: Averages

It is important to point out that a person earning the average salary does not typically pay an average amount of income tax.

Your comparison is completely meaningless.

Especially as you seem to have brought company profits into your calculation of personal "income tax", which is loopy.

4. Mark 75

"After all, the money a company makes eventually gets distributed, either into dividends or salaries of the employees or by purchasing components etc. Each time it gets distributed, it get taxed."

Er no, that's why Apple has billions of dollars in the bank....it hasn't been distributed at all.

5. Potemkine Silver badge

First, all the money is not eventually distributed, next taxation is not the the same for a shareholder or an employee. In the first case, if your fiscal adviser is smart enough, you could even be able to pay a smaller tax ratio on your dividends than the employee with the smaller salary of the company. That's what fundations in Lichtenstein are made for, for instance.

But who cares for fiscal justice anyway? Riches get richer, poors get poorer, it's the rule of our time.

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

You're forgetting that local subsidiaries pay tax on net income - and that ends up surprisinly low when royalties to the parent company in an overseas tax haven are taken out. Unsurpringly these royalties are periodically tweaked to ensure net income STAYS low.

Yes, Apple's paid some tax in the originating countries (sales taxes, VAT, etc are paid by the end user so that doesn't count), but not nearly as much as they would if they used a shareholder model for the subsidiaries.

That's what rankles with tax authorities worldwide, but this unholy ms was setup by governments to allow "big business" contacts to pay low taxes and as knowledge reaches the man on the street it's starting to come back and bite 'em.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Democracy Works !

50 people showed up at the store to proclaim their disagreement with their governments tax laws.

This means roughly 4.579.950 of the Republic's inhabitants either agree or don't care.

The people have spoken. Now leave the fruitstore alone.

1. Hellcat
      WTF?

Re: Democracy Works !

Either I missed the part where all the protestors were actually Irish, or central London just declared independence and dissolved the monarchy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Re: Democracy Works !

You mean not a single Irish person actually protested ? Well then. On with the show.

I bet none of those 13 downvoters showed up either.

P.S. I've added an alert this time. Although I'm not even sure myself if I was actually joking or not.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Jokes

if (joke.funny >0) post;

else exit;

16. disgruntled yank

Wow

I trust all those folks on Regent Street went right home and wrote to their representative and senators.

17. Winkypop Silver badge
    Megaphone

Up with this kind of thing!

If only to make PR towks squirm and weep as they try to smooth over the "negative brand issues".

18. NoneSuch Silver badge
    FAIL

No matter how much money you give a government

They will squander, waste and overspend it.

'Austerity measures' come from letting the banking system run wild and a lack of responsibility to those at the top playing derivative games with your pension money.

If you don't have it in the bank, stop spending it. That works for most of the people who voted them into office.

19. AJ MacLeod

A better reason for buying from JL

is that you actually get customer support and a reasonable warranty.

Though Apple's rabid devotion to fashion over function means they don't actually make much that's worth buying these days anyway.

20. Shagbag

"put into the system rather than take out"

"we will make a scream, we will make a scene and shout as much as we can until we can get these people to pay tax and put into the system rather than take out"

Next stop Scotland then?

1. Sir Sham Cad

Re: "Next stop Scotland then?"

Greece, Italy followed by a whistlestop tour of Spain, too.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "put into the system rather than take out"

do you know if that nice Mr Connery has moved "home", sitting there excitedly awaiting a visit from HMRC? Now that would be funny ....

3. Zola
      WTF?

Next stop Scotland then?

Confused - is this a dig at Scotland, or in reference to that counties disproportionately high annual contribution of tax revenue due to oil production compared with per-capita public spending? In short, Scotland puts in way more than it takes out.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

yes, next stop Scotland, a key part of Alex Salmond's arc of prosperity.

(Oh, and by the way, Scotland does not put in more than it takes out - even if you include oil receipts, Scotland is still a net beneficiary from the UK as a whole).

21. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Mark Thomas left-wing agitator?

"I suppose I'm a libertarian anarchist. I believe that so long as anyone's in power, there will be someone who isn't, which will lead to conflict and people being ripped off, exploited, blah blah blah blah blah. I know that's incredibly simplistic, but it's a fact."

1. Amorous Cowherder

Re: Mark Thomas left-wing agitator?

I think prefer Eddie Izzard's very British take on anarchy, "Kick the fucking doors in, 'It's OK, we'll pay for the damage.'. I say let's have a revolution, just budget for it OK?"

22. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Facepalm

The left-wing agitator

Another adept of the dogma that spending other people's money is good and just stakes something which apparently is meant to wake people up to the fact that spending other people's money is good and just.

Film at 11.

23. Mister Pinky
    Trollface

Where is Jimmy Carr when you need him?

I'll get my coat!

24. Nick Pettefar

No Apple Shops In Ireland!!

What pisses me off is that there are NO Apple shops here in Ireland at all! Not in Dublin or Cork or anywhere! Have to risk the crazies in Belfast to visit the nearest one. That's just a farce.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like