back to article Leaks point to new mystery Macs 'with Jony Ive's fingerprints on'

Brace yourself fanbois: it looks like Apple is about to release a new range of souped-up MacBook laptops into the wild. A series of part codes leaked out of Cupertino by a Mac mole appear to indicate that the fruity firm will use next week's WWDC, an annual fanboi love-in, to unleash a new range of refreshed laptops. Stock of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't see why anyone would bother versus Windows 8 touchscreen ultrabooks like the new Asus S7....

1. Dave 126

>Can't see why anyone would bother versus Windows 8 touchscreen ultrabooks like the new Asus S7....

Adobe (and many other) productivity applications don't scale well on Win 7/8 laptops with very high dpi displays, according to reviews of the few Win laptops that boast 'retina'-like screens. (See Toshiba Kirabook)

1. TheVogon
        Mushroom

Windows 8 outperforms Mac OS-X for graphics, so I would assume they were comparing Intel on CPU graphics, which perform less effectively than a dedicated card. But all other things being equal, Windows 8 would be faster for GPU heavy work...Even Ubuntu outperforms OS-X....

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu1304_apple_osx1083&num=1

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_ultrabook_winlin7&num=2

1. Tom 38
          FAIL

Phoronix is the open source equivalent of News of the World, they couldn't put together a competent benchmark to save their lives. If you believe 30% of what you read on that site, you're trusting them too much.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Phoronix is the open source equivalent of News of the World".

uhm, well I believe a competently presented commercial website with lots of documentation and explanation about what they tested and how a lot more than a do a random comment with zero evidence that says they suck...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Windows 8 outperforms Mac OS-X for graphics"

That web site indicates OS X is kinda slow for some games. "Graphics" spans a lot more than a few games.

2. asdf
      Mushroom

flame on

Well based on my experience with my Mac Pro if you buy Apple the hardware build quality is awesome but count on Linux and even Microsoft (via Boot Camp but Apple is even trying to get rid of that) supporting your Mac far longer than Apple will. Forced obsolescence is the name of the game for Apple who are a hardware maker first and only do software to sell their hardware.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No doubt they will copy Microsoft as usual and introduce touch screen capabilities, and a flat Metro style interface...

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Say what you like about "Metro"

and most of the things I would like to say about it are not appropriate even here, the flat style is not the problem. (The implementation on the other hand. . .)

1. DrXym

Re: Say what you like about "Metro"

My biggest criticism of Metro (in a tablet / phone) is its fine when you have a few tiles, perhaps no more than 2 screens worth. After once you have 3 or 4 screens of tiles it becomes a major drag to hurl the screen around.

I think if iOS were to be revamped it could still learn something from it though, especially the concept of live tiles (or widgets in Android). Let a user construct a home screen and personalize the experience more. iOS is starting to look pretty long in the tooth compared to its opposition in some basic ways.

2. Frankee Llonnygog

"Say what you like about "Metro"

Eet ees a great beeg candy-striped baby geeraffe balanceeng on ze skateboard of universal lurve.

(and that's what I like)

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Thumbs down? For ze leetle baby geeraffe?

2. deadlockvictim

The bastards in Redmond South are always doing that, aren't they?

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Megaphone

If the new MacBook range doesn't have any models with optical drives I'll sulk. Last years' iMacs will hold their value for some years to come.

P.S. Judging by the first two posts above mine, Microsoft's community managers are already at their desks.

1. Velv
      Gimp

While I can appreciate you may have requirements for an optical drive, the vast majority of users don't need one on a regular basis.

Might be nice however if they supplied a firewire/usb optical drive in the box. But it's Apple. So you'll have to buy one. When they're available in three months time.

1. JDX Gold badge

If they are leaving optical drives out because they think most people don't need them, it would be plain stupid to then include an external drive with every macbook - most people wouldn't use them and it would push the price up for everyone.

Can you buy a generic external optical drive or do they have to be Apple? Is there anything special?

1. Michael Hawkes
          Go

Any external USB drive should work. When I need to use an optical drive, I connect a Dell USB2 DVD-RW drive to my MacBook. it's a bit cheaper than Apple's Superdrive and does the same job. For that matter, you could probably use a generic USB drive and save more money.

2. JEDIDIAH
          Linux

Nice self-nuke there.

> and it would push the price up for everyone.

Are you kidding? Really? This isn't Dell we're talking about.This is a "luxury brand". Leaving things out because of some need to cut corners is really not consistent with the usual Apple propaganda.

It could be a useful option.

That space could also be used for other interesting things like a 2nd hard drive.

Not everyone is some iPad wielding granny.

3. FutureShock999

Yes to third-party...

I haves external USB Blu Ray writer for my 2012 MBP, and it works just fine. I think the base drive is a Toshiba or Sammy.

Having said that! I've used it only to rip CDs and DVDs...

2. Charlie Stross

Your time machine appears to be calibrated for 2008.

Apple have been selling their SuperDrive for Macbook Airs since 2009. Works fine with my 2012-vintage retina Probook.

It's a standard Apple accessory: looks cute, rather more expensive (cough, you want *how much* for a USB DVD-RW?) than the competition, most non-Mac folks don't know it exists so insert foot in mouth when polled on subject.

(In this SoHo business we have two Airbooks, a Mac Mini Server, and a rMBP, none of which have built-in optical drives. We get by quite happily with a single SuperDrive between us -- in fact, it spends most of its time gathering dust in a drawer.)

3. Rafael 1
        Happy

I got the last 17" Macbook Pro, and I'm very glad it came with an optical drive... so I could remove it and install a second HD on its slot.

I've installed the optical drive in an external bay and used it maybe two, three times in one year and a half.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have a 2012 Macbook with no optical drive. Haven't missed it much really. I have a 20 quid external drive available for the occasional time it's needed. Other peoples mileage may vary but given the instances of Superdrives packing up, the external option is actually cheaper and easier to fix if something goes wrong (i.e. hurl it in the bin and order a new one from Ebuyer).

3. Arctic fox
      Headmaster

@Dan 55 "Judging by the first two posts above mine, Microsoft's community..............

..........managers are already at their desks.

Well old chap, I have to say that those of who have managed to develop a bit of maturity understand that not everyone who disagrees with us is a villain or a shill. Suggest you try harder.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Boffin

Re: @Dan 55 "Judging by the first two posts above mine, Microsoft's community..............

A fanboy doesn't need to go AC.

Optical drives are good to have if your hard drive borks or you want to install a heavyweight piece of software. Well, it shouldn't be necessary to go into details on this website. Taking Apple's enthusiasm for minimalism and feature-removal to its logical conclusion, we'll end up with Apple Pis where you pay a premium for the nice cover and then a premium for a stack of boxes hanging off the side.

4. Daniel B.
      Boffin

More concerned on other issue

I really, really hope they upgrade the non-Retina MBP range. I dislike non-upgradeable hardware, and is the main reason why I didn't go for the Retina stuff.

The optical drive is something I rarely use, but it is still good to have it there. It also gives me the option to add a second HDD if I ever need to do that as well.

4. frank ly
    Happy

" ..super clear sexting ..... squeak and grunt ..."

That's quite an assumption there. Or does the author have first hand experience?

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: " ..super clear sexting ..... squeak and grunt ..."

Also comes with a new chat app - Dictaphone

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Coat

Re: " ..super clear sexting ..... squeak and grunt ..."

Dictaphone? Nah. I'll just my finger, like everyone else.

OK, OK, I'm going...

5. Lovely Gladstone

Misleading

Your headling of "Leaks point to mystery Macs 'with Jony Ive's fingerprints all over'" is misleading. The Jony Ive's fingerprints comment is later stated as regarding iOS7, not Mac hardware.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Joke

Re: Misleading

Damn. There was I expecting the announcement to be a range of Jony Ive signature edition Macs, with his fingerprints cast into the aluminium casing and a huge price markup.

2. jubtastic1
      Pint

Re: Misleading

To be fair, his fingerprints are definetly going to be all over any new Macs because designing them is his job, that would be a bit 'Pope confirmed as a Catholic' as headlines go though*

*Or is he?, Athiests can be good? bears using portaloos[citation required], it's starting to look a little end of the world is nighish

6. TekYousa
    Facepalm

Stop press - gadget maker updates products one year after last updating products

This is news?

Really?

People are excited?

Real people?

Really?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Stop press - gadget maker updates products one year after last updating products

No.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Apple is currently placing component orders for iPhone volume manufacturing to ramp in the August timeframe, suggesting they're on pace for a late September launch"

Which translates as Apple are ramping up production, ready to have millions of the things sat in Chinese warehouses, in time for the launch. At which point they'll ship 3 to each CPW and Phones4U shop, who will then wheel out some poor manager to say they sold out of all of the new iPhones "in seconds".

Then, a month or two later, you'll be able to pick up your cool shiny at any Argos, Tesco or Asda.

Little advice for the fanbois... if you can buy your cool phone at the same time as toilet cleaner potatoes... it's not cool!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Where the hell can you buy toilet cleaner potatoes? I use bleach and a brush to clean my loo, and didn't realise you could do it with potatoes. Now that really is cool!

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Coat

It ain't cool

Little advice for the fanbois... if you can buy your cool phone at the same time as toilet cleaner potatoes... it's not cool!

Then it ain't cool to be able to buy the latest Samsung 'shiny-shiny' device at Tesco's then? They are on sale at my local one (As of Monday)

I guess that buying any phone at Tesco's is a sign of being uncool then.

Mines the one with a Nokia 6310i in the pocket.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

Mac Pro

When are Apple finally going to launch a new Mac Pro? Mine is a veritable workhorse but at 5 years old I'd like to refresh it at some stage!

1. Matthew 17

Re: Mac Pro

Yes please, I've been hanging on to my old one for yonks now waiting for a new one, none of the other machines they sell are practical for me and wouldn't want to move away from OSX and the software I use.

Sort it out Apple, there has to be a pro market left that is of suitable size to be interesting.

With the talk that 10.9 is to be aimed at 'power users' maybe it'll launch with a new Pro.

9. TekYousa
    Paris Hilton

"Last years' iMacs will hold their value for some years to come."

Never managed to find a value much above low. Price, yes. Novelty, yes. Value, no.

But good luck with them holding it. You know, until we see the marketing innovation again. If we do. The trouble with basing a business on fashion is that things go out of it. Every chav on the underground and every gangsta in the playground seems to boast an iPhone these days.

Paris for the iCandy.

1. Dave 126

Make up your mind whether you're talking about the resale value of iMacs or iPhones.

Several studies, made in different ways (ie event monitoring software, returns to manufacturer, customer surveys) suggest that Apple computers are fairly reliable.

1. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

Don't believe the hype.

> Several studies, made in different ways (ie event monitoring software, returns to manufacturer, customer surveys) suggest that Apple computers are fairly reliable.

I don't need "studies". I have owned several Macs.

A little firsthand experience cured me of any clueless admiration I might have had for Apple or it's products.

It's hard to get a real evaluation of their stuff since it is expensive and vendor locked and pretty much anyone that's bothered to own their products are already drinking the kool-aid. You might as well ask a Jesuit what he thinks of the pope.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't believe the hype.

I did once. Turns out that Jesuit doublethink means that you can simultaneously (a) have fanatical support for the office of Pope and (b) believe the current incumbent is a ghastly mistake.

That is the problem I had with Apple products right up till I definitively stopped buying them after yet another motherboard failure, while my elderly NT file server just kept chugging along.

In the past I've bought top of the range Windows notebooks from various manufacturers, and they just keep going, with the letters worn off the keys and perhaps stuck on Windows 7 32 bit because of the age of the motherboard.

10. James Dore
    Boffin

Touchscreens suck on laptops

Touchscreens in the vertical plane are wrist-achingly bad for anything other than very brief use, unless you're standing up. I'd be very surprised to see macbooks with touchscreens, especially as the multi-touch trackpad is brilliant (and far better than any implementation in the Windows world). Now, if they don't release a 13" Pro that can take more than 8GB of memory, I'll be very annoyed....

1. Dieter Haussmann

Re: Touchscreens suck on laptops

I'd like to see keys on the keyboard with built-in vibrant, colour OLEDs, so they can be contextual to the application, not just QWETY.

Maybe a trackpad cum touchscreen would be good, and the image could display things such as jog and shuttle wheel or sliders as summoned by the application.

1. Dave 126

>I'd like to see keys on the keyboard with built-in vibrant, colour OLEDs, so they can be contextual to the application, not just QWETY.

You can have it, but at a high, high cost: (roughly $1000 USD)

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

There maybe some games controllers that might suit your needs, though.

>Maybe a trackpad cum touchscreen would be good, and the image could display things such as jog and shuttle wheel or sliders as summoned by the application.

All iDevices have had wireless MIDI baked in from the beginning, so what you describe is already well supported amongst desktop digital audio applications.

However, I would like to be able to offload Photoshop (for example) tool palettes to a secondary touch-screen! I was tempted by a 7" USB-powered and driven monitor, but they seem pricey compared to either cheap 7" tablets or 21" monitors.

My mate has just bought a Korg Kaosillator... whilst it can function as a stand-alone noise making thingy, it can also place it's real hardware controls (X Y rear-illuminated touch-pad, sliders, nice heavy jog dials, colour-changing trigger pads) at the disposal of a connected computer. It's pricey, though!

2. James Dore
        Unhappy

Google "Optimus Maximus" and then soil yourself at the price. Very very high initial startup costs.

11. TekYousa
    Meh

@JDX

'@TekYousa

"Every time I think this site is full only of people who work with IT, know about IT, understand IT and think carefully and perceptively about IT, up you pop."

You're new here, right?'

Either that or subtley ironic? Too subtley? Shirley not.

1. JDX Gold badge

So you say now...

12. Fuzz

Why would people want this?

"Another expected change is the much-anticipated move to Intel's Haswell processors, which offer lower power use and could allow Apple designers to shrink the size of batteries."

There's nothing wrong with the size of the current batteries, how about using the power saving to give people longer running times? Not that I use a Mac but since all other high end computers are copied from the mac design I need Apple to release computers that I would like so that I can then by them with a proper OS from someone else.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Why would people want this?

It gives them more choice... longer battery life or slimmer lighter machines or more space for other stuff. Given the way things are going, I thing Apple would rather make the MacBook Pro fit inside an Air housing and that would be pretty cool from a pure tech point of view... but I'd rather one I could use solidly all day without looking for a mains socket :)

2. Piro Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Why would people want this?

Agreed. This obsession over making things too thin cancels out advancements in chip design too often.

13. TRT Silver badge

Metro

Looks like someone spilled a jar of Jelly Belly Beans onto a conveyor belt heading under a heavy roller. Angry fruit salad doesn't come into it.

14. Steve Knox
    Coat

'with Jony Ive's fingerprints on'

I doubt it. Apple generally cleans their hardware nice and shiny* before shipping.

* Okay, technically they pay Foxconn to do it...

15. MACWINLINO

Something drastic

Unless Apple do something drastic to their Macbook Pro range of laptops. I would expect the release to be a bit well meh.

I have a late 2010 Macbook Pro 13inch and other than Retina I haven't seen much improvements really. I'll keep on using mine for another year or so and then contemplate if I'll get another or move back to a Windows laptop.

16. Redsyrup
    WTF?

Better or Best?

I love how Apple dumbs down their computer specs. Let's remain brainless for the benefit of their bottom line. It's a Mac after all.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Leaks point to new mystery Macs 'with Jony Ive's fingerprints on'

The conversation at the Reg HQ:

Reportard #1: What?!? Tim Cook farted??

Reportard #2: Yes, I heard that. Someone leaked it.

Reportard #1: Yeeehoo!!! Lets put an article on the Reg. Lots of clicks, lots of revenue, massive beer party this Friday!

Reportard #2: Yes, Yes, Yes...also lets put Jony Ive's name in it!

Reportard #1: But did Jony fart too??

Reportard #2: No, No, No, No, No....Jony's name...double number of clicks, double revenue, double party...hehehehe!

Reportard #1: But, but...what do we say in the article??

Reportard #2: Nothing much, just say in the title "Tim Cook farted, massive leak...Jony Ive has a finger in it"...hehehehehe!

Reportard #1: hehehehehe!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like