back to article Reg readers want to work for Google

Ever wondered how much your fellow Reg readers earn or who they would really like to work for? Well, we now have the answers for you, as the results of our first ever salary survey are available for your viewing pleasure. More than 6,000 of you took part towards the back end of last year, giving us a take on your careers, your …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gary F

...results based on people who have time to complete surveys

Great survey, but I can't help thinking how different it would be if people who don't have time to complete surveys actually took part. What sort of people didn't contribute to the survey? Highly paid IT managers who are always in meetings, or lowly paid support staff who are constantly running around fixing things?

I guess we'll never know.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Gary

I assume you filled this in then, or simply have enough free time to comment?

3. Gary F

@AC

No, I didn't have time to do the survey. If I encounter a side tracking event like that (or commenting to a blog/article) I have a 60 second policy - if I think it will take any longer than that I won't bother... or if they offer at least 10 prizes for taking part. :-) Personal gain wins over time management. ;-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Colours on Survey chart are woeful

Who ever picked the colours for the Survey chart needs to get their eyes examined as it is very difficult to view. Less red and more green/blue/brown would have been better.

But a good survey all the same.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Please sack the Editor

Google is the employee of choice? Erm...

@Gary F: you must be a manager of some description in some multi-national consulting co.(think EDS or some such) to have a policy on such matters. You know the kind of consulting co. that never, ever delivers its government projects. Trust me, no-one's going to notice if you take 60 minutes out of your day to answer surveys. Hell, take the whole day. Productivity at your company may even go up.

6. Mad Hacker
    Thumb Up

Someday I hope to publish a white paper

Nicely done. And I liked the colors. Register red. Worked well even for color blind people (who can determine shades but not colors.)

And now off to apply for that job at Google.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Oh God! Not Google!

As somebody recently blessed with a wonderful child I decided I wanted to work nearer to home, In Ireland, 20 minutes from the house. I applied to Google. they thought I was wonderful (I am!) but they interviewed me 4 times, and as each interview progressed the *hole doing it became ever more infuriating. At the same time I did an interview for some SAP work with a local agency - One interview, three phone calls and the job was mine - after 6 months the nicest people I've worked with. Google called me for a 5th interview - I said - 'Either you are interested or you're not - ring me within 7 days'. I didn't get the phone call and i really don't care!

8. Chris Wren

M$ 3rd :S

Hard to believe that Microsoft came in at 3rd due to their renumeration package. Microsoft have a policy of 65% of the median for the job role, so although they may pay above average they certainly don't pay well. If people are suckered in to working (and they will work you hard) for them just for the name then more fool them but personaly, I'd set my sights a little higher.

9. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Porkies.... Misspeaks

"No, I didn't have time to do the survey" ... By Gary F Posted Wednesday 26th March 2008 12:38 GMT.

Crikey, Gary F, in a World with nothing but Time stretching before IT, that is a really bizarre thing to say.

You just couldn't be bothered is probably much nearer the Truth.

But you are not alone in that thought/default. In acute form, it descends into Apathy and Depression which is also translated in the IT Environment leading to an Abdication of or Ignorance in their/our Powerful Controls in IT with a more ControlLed Power.

You may like to consider AI Beta Intelligence in CyberIntelAIgents...... for IT is certainly no Less. And IT is readily available and easily dDelivered in whatever Guise is AIRequired, Fit for Universal Purpose.

And there's not many Intelligences that can dDeliver that Core Gem, I'll wager.

10. Slaine
    Pirate

no title necessary - read the comment

Who wants to work for Google when we're having so much fun ripping the shit out of sciety here?

11. b166er

Black Google and April Fools

What will Google look like tomorrow?

Michael, the idea of making the homepage black, was as I understand, a tip of the hat to a chap that had the idea that, if it were black, because of the number of people who use Google every day, it would save money. This because, the guy figured that it takes more energy to illuminate a white page, than a black one.

Google researched this, and found that, when using a CRT monitor power saving could be made, however, using a LCD made very little difference. They however, appreciated the simplicity and ingenuity of the idea, and therefore, presumably in honour, painted it black.

Perhaps tomorrow for April Fool's, Google should adopt the PirateBay logo ;~)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like