back to article Microsoft opens kimono on Server 2012 R2 at steamy Orleans bash

Microsoft is hosting its annual TechEd developer and partner conference in a sticky* New Orleans this week, with a coming out party for the refresh of the Windows Server stack due later this year. In the opening keynote on Monday, Redmond will be showing off Windows Server 2012 R2, an update to the flagship server operating …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I wonder if Eadon realises that his predictable mentalist ramblings are probably having the opposite effect in terms of promoting Linux, rather like the creepy fanatics who stop you in the street promoting their religious views.

1. tirk
      Coat

I wonder if Eadon realises that his predictable mentalist ramblings are probably having the opposite effect in terms of promoting Linux, rather like the creepy fanatics who stop you in the street promoting their religious views.

So you're saying Eadon is some king of "hooker for Linux"?

Eww!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I wonder if Eadon realises "

Whether he does, or doesn't, I don't think he'll stop.

2. John P
    Childcatcher

Oh no, Microsoft are promoting new features to try and get people to use their products AND THEY'RE NOT TELLING EVERYONE THAT LINUX IS BETTER, quick stop them, think of the children!!!!!

Eadon, sometimes I just open up the comments on these MS stories to see what amusing diatribe you're spouting today, you do come out with some...unique takes on these stories.

An Eadon comment a day keeps the Penguin away (cos if using Linux turns you that kind of crazy, I'd rather stick with Windows).

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. 1Rafayal

Re: Client management?

Do you have Win 8 desktops on your infrastructure?

1. SteveMC

Re: Client management?

Bah - sorry, managed to remove my original post! But no, no Windows 8 desktops at any of our clients, but a couple of them have touch-screen laptop/tablet devices which they're rolling out. Problem is Windows 8 doesn't work with Mandatory profiles, and the only official way to customise the Start Screen is with Sysprep :(

4. Levente Szileszky
    IT Angle

All the BS about W8 or Azure are downright pathetic - but Server 2012 R2 upgrades ARE impressive...

...especially what they did in Hyper-V and Storage/Volume Services: 20 HHD w/ 4 SSD provide 124k+ IOPS in 2012 R2...? VMs are booting faster on volumes running dedupe? Live Migration with RDMA over SMB3 etc... Live VM cloning..?

Servers/Storage and connected highly-tolerant/scalable services should be the key points for MSFT, period. They MAKE MONEY AND THEY ARE IMPRESSIVE - assuming they won't be just another bugfest, like everything else is first from MSFT -, while all the other laughable BS like Windows 8/8.1, Windows Phone, tablet-related idiocies etc, all their incompetent, shitty, consumer-grade junk should be relegated to the backseat except the person who decided theat utter PoS Metro UI should make it into Windows Server 2012 - that person should be taken to the backyard and shot on the spot, period.

Aye and Sinofsky must STFU about his role, seriously - his otherwise hilariously clueless recent bragging was way beyond the usual fluffing fired execs perform about their past role especially after such a royal fuckup... There's a reason why Sinofsky IS UNEMPLOYED and why I'm sure other clueless MBA-types will lend him some title somewhere I'm sure as hell he won't EVER make it this high during the rest of his life, thanks to the Jekyll-Hyde monster he single-handedly created (make no mistake, his replacement is even worse - she was the main force not to mention the ever-present, all-pervasive ribbon-type UI crap so expect more of the same junk.)

5. Vince

another day another eadon

Just to debunk a few random selections from today's nonsense from Eadon...

a) Windows Server 2012 quite happily runs hundreds of virtual machines. Can, does and keeps running them.

b) Licensing not that complex - datacentre edition permits unlimited virtuals on a host, so to license the core OS, you buy, er datacentre edition per host. We're done with that.

1. Levente Szileszky

Re: another day another eadon

Well, licensing really screwed us, SMBs running ~8CPU hosts by jacking up our costs but yeah, it's not *that* complex, for sure.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

" Also, the Linux VM's don't need rebooting for security / patching reasons (Linux systems rarely need rebooting even after patches are applied)."

Funny that, I have some VMs at Heart Internet, and this message is there when I logged in this week:

=====

Whether you are one of our customers or use another provider, we strongly recommend you follow the steps described below to ensure your VPS, Hybrid Server or dedicated server remains secure.

A high-severity vulnerability has recently been discovered in the Linux kernel which potentially allows a local user on the system to gain root access (find out more here: CVE-2013-2094). Any Linux server, regardless of web host, will be affected by this issue.

2.6.37 – 3.8.10 Kernels are vulnerable, however the change that introduced this flaw into the kernel was backported by Redhat into the 2.6.32 Kernel which is supplied with RHEL packages. Servers running CentOS 6, Fedora 18, Ubuntu LTS 12.04 and Debian 6 are all vulnerable and we would strongly recommend you update your VPS, Hybrid Server or dedicated server if you run these operating systems.

Please remember that it is vital to back up your server before making this significant update as, whilst it is essential, it can potentially have adverse affects on your server.

- To update CentOS and Fedora, run, “yum update” and type “y” when prompted.

- To update Ubuntu/Debian, run “apt-get update && apt-get upgrade” and type “y” when prompted.

Once the new kernel is installed, you will need to reboot your server to apply the fix. Please note that running these commands will update all software on your server (not just the affected kernel); make sure that following the reboot, you check that all services (websites, mail, FTP, etc.) are running correctly.

====

So, vulnerability in the Linux kernel affecting all versions, requires a reboot?

Eadon? Do you actually use Linux? Or do you just not patch it?

7. 1Rafayal

I do learn from my technical superiors, when they have something to teach.

You inference is that you are my technical superior, which again is another of your many, many inaccuracies.

Additionally, you have plainly never used Weblogic in a production environment before. There are numerous reasons as to why you reboot the server post deployment, a common one is poor software design.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like