back to article Asus boasts of Haswell fondleslab threesome to get Acer hot under collar

Asus did its best to upstage local rival Acer on Monday, unveiling a 3-in-1 notebook-desktop-tablet Android-Windows 8 hybrid - plus a 6in “phablet”, and the world’s first Tegra 4-powered fondleslab. Never one to hide his firm’s light under a bushel, chairman Jonney Shih was in a typically gung-ho mood as he used a 45-minute …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

One thing I'd like...

The ability to pop the tablet off that keyboard dock and still use the keyboard with the android environment, either with a cable or by turning the keyboard into a dumb bluetooth thing. Sometimes it's nice to be able to spread things out, you know?

1. Shagbag
      Thumb Up

Re: One thing I'd like...

Her on the right (ie. left of Shih).

Shwinnggg!

Whoah! Tent-pole!

1. Martin
        FAIL

re: Shwinnggg!

And people wonder why it is that women are not keen to go into technology....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: re: Shwinnggg!

"And people wonder why it is that women are not keen to go into technology...."

She has really fine legs though. I'm sure she was hired especially for that. Don't be a moron. Enjoy the view. (I didn't say lust. That's a different topic.)

1. Martin
            Thumb Down

Re: re: Shwinnggg!

She may well have good legs. I agree, she probably was hired for exactly that.

And the fact that people in technology consider that, in this day and age, it is still acceptable to hire good looking women purely for decorative purposes pretty well proves my point.

And I don't think the fact that I consider it unacceptable (and I also consider Mr Shwinngg's comment pretty unacceptable) makes me a moron, either.

2. ukgnome
    Terminator

“We seek to find a perfect balance between engineering and humanity.”

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the T101"

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. PhilipN Silver badge

the Trio should be available in Q3

With Jelly Bean?

Yawn

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: the Trio should be available in Q3

At this point it'd be surprising to see anything else, given Key Lime Pie hasn't been released yet, and there's some word that even that will be preceeded by another JellyBean flavour as 4.3.

Even if they also make the flagship N7 device, they can't exactly pre-promise something Google hasn't released yet...

That said personally I'm a little surprised to see someone biting for Tegra 4 over SnapDragon, given the slagging it (and nVidia) have been getting from some elements of the media lately.

4. Mark .

The Windows 8 Transformer Book already looked promising, but I was waiting for an 11" version - and this looks even better.

I wonder what kind of battery life does it get when using the Intel Core processor - I'm assuming 15 hours is for the Atom? And can it run in Windows mode when just using the tablet? (Yes, Android is fine, but it would be a shame to spend all that money on such an all-in-one device, and not have that functionality too - otherwise an ARM might have been more suitable).

1. Cryo

From the sound of it, all the Windows hardware is in the keyboard base. It's likely built like a standard laptop, only the screen is detachable and includes additional tablet hardware for use on its own. Seeing as the tablet runs Android, I don't suspect they would make it a Windows tablet as well, or else they might as well have left Android out entirely.

1. Mark .

I think there are still advantages - I mean, if I'm sitting using the laptop, but I then want to pull out the tablet to pass it to show someone, I don't want it to switch to another OS. True, the flip side of that is why bother with Android, but it allows things like running Android software too, or if someone might prefer that when using it for a longer period in pure tablet mode.

They already do a pure Windows 8 version of the Transformer Book - it's unclear if they'll be doing an 11" Haswell version of that.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not sure why I would want to boot the Windows 8 bit.

It's like having a car with a changable engine. It comes with a 200BHP V6 engine that super fuel efficient, and a free 500CC Fiat 500 engine that takes up space in the garage.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not sure why I would want to boot the Windows 8 bit.

Please, choose your car analogies better. The Fiat 500 engine was small and efficient. You're probably thinking of one of those american SUV engines, large, noisy, smelly, and a awful gas guzzler.

2. Getriebe
      Alien

Re: Not sure why I would want to boot the Windows 8 bit.

Its 900cc and the car is a 500C. You c rating is wonky

And your analogy should be like a std FIAT engine and one that is twin stage supercharged with Nitrous oxide and water injection

But I’m fantasizing.

6. Andrew Peake

The girl on his right

Looks like a slightly bored/bemused Ziva from NCIS, or maybe that's just my fixation with her

7. M Gale

Looks nice.

Can I rip 8 out of it and replace it with 7?

(And how much extra does that cost?)

8. Philippe
    Joke

Taking "that's what Shih said"..

to an all new level.

9. RonWheeler
    Windows

What a ridiculous device

Like using a 2CV converted into a trike, to tow a 5 wheeled horsebox that has been converted into a mobile generator.

i'm sure the 3 people in the world who need this device will be very happy.

10. bep

Meanwhile

my Asus Transformer Pad is slowly declining in usefulness. The updates to the operating system have somehow destroyed the battery life and now the stock browser is crashing when I try to open the bookmarks folder. All the other Android browsers seem to hate the idea of putting bookmarks into folders. Hmmm, this could be an interesting device, or it could be a Frankenstein's monster. Asus will eventually learn that bad after-sales support will kill you in the long run.

11. BigAndos

"Phablet"

Can we please all agree to not accept "phablet" as a term? Thank you.

1. D@v3

Re: "Phablet"

I have already adopted a stance that says anyone who uses it in my presence gets defenestrated.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Phablet"

Right you are, "tablone" it is...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like