back to article China announces giant military hackathon at SECRET Mongolian base

China is set to hold its first ever digital war games, amidst growing US concerns about alleged Chinese espionage focused on military technology. State news agency Xinhua reported that the People's Liberation Army will be holding exercises next month to "test new types of combat forces including units using digital technology …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

A cunning plan

If you could persuade the Chinese to steal the plans for the F35 and then spend $$Bn building a pointless fleet of air superiority fighters while at the same time devaluing their own R&D and distracting their manufacturing from developing it's own high tech products you could destroy their entire economic and political system.

Worked on the other lot.

1. Gray
      Trollface

Re: A cunning plan

Yes, a cunning plan! The Chinese are positioning themselves to become America's largest defense contractor! (Complete with cost overruns.)

Re: the digital window. A cooperative agreement will have the PLA and the CIA sharing the same backdoor. This, to eliminate confusion and needless duplication.

Little known fact: America's defense contract cost overruns constitute the world's fourth largest military budget!

1. Lars Silver badge
        Pint

"overruns". I can understand that but what is the word when some source decided it would cost say 40% compared to the reality. I have seen a lot of that in IT and mostly the "reality" is accused of being wrong.

(mostly, rather like 100%).

2. oolor
      Devil

This is the first thought I had too, F-35. Hell, they should be given the plans outright, we could call it the Farewell Portfolio.

Contracting it out would be fine, just make it a fixed price contract and make the requirements exceedingly precise. The West could drown them in legal mumbo-jumbo, something we clearly have a massive advantage at, though they could counter with their unsclupurousness. Would be an interesting battle of the top two forms of go'mentese doubletalk.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

The USA can't care really...

...otherwise they would be jailing the CEOs of the companies & contractors responsible for putting secret & top-secret data on networks connected to the outside world that could be hacked remotely.

Wouldn't they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The USA can't care really...

Ssssssssssssht. Reality has no place in this debate.

They are the bad guys, the people who walk away with your tax dollars (in lieu of health services etc, let's use those arguments for once where they belong) are the good guys.

Given that the Chinese have been recently talked up again as the enemy (I guess they got bored with terrorists), has anyone seen the real threat yet? I mean, a request to up a budget somewhere by a good gazillions? It's funny how such temporary measures never seem to be able to declare a threat from being dealt with. Weird..

/cynic

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: The USA can't care really...

The navy has been doing rather badly in the war on terror.

It's difficult to show that building another 12 carrier battle fleets will substantially reduce the risk form Al Queda

They really need a distant enemy - and a pacific one is best for the publicity photos.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

"...amid efforts to adjust to informationalised war".

"Internationalised war"?

Sorry China, some countries have been involved in World wars. Actually, come to think of it, didn't you have a paw in the more recent one? Did the international nature of that pass you by?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "...amid efforts to adjust to informationalised war".

Funny, you managed to copy-paste it without reading it.

"Informationalised" is not "internationalised".

I admit my brain did the same mistake on first read, too :-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The RED menace !

Battle Beneath the Earth 1967 ..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like