back to article DIAL M for... mobile: New Wii app pipes mobe vid to big tellies

The venerable Nintendo Wii got a new YouTube app yesterday, and one that appears to be using Netflix and Google's new DIscovery And Launch (DIAL) protocol for an integrated Android experience. The Wii has had YouTube for a while, but a new update pushed out to UK users appears to make use of the DIAL standard to provide big- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Thumb Up

DIAL

Why oh why oh why did the DIAL protocol developers choose to use confusing terms such as 1st screen and 2nd screen? Why not go for the far simpler "viewing device" and "insructing device" or something similar which makes it clearer what role each part plays.

I applaud anything which makes it easier to control a TV and related kit from a phone, PC or over the net, so bring it on.

2. ninjatjj

PS3 version has been doing this for months?

I think the PS3 version works the same way and has done for months?

1. Joe K

Re: PS3 version has been doing this for months?

Yes, it has, and its similarly useless.

If i have a vid up i'll just watch it on the tablet. Though maybe handy for throwing a link to a HD video up on the big screen, that isn't an option on 480p Wii.

3. wbaw

The PS3 YouTube app also has this feature.

4. Charlie_Spotted
    Thumb Up

This has actually been available for a few weeks now, and works really well. Very slick. Just as my Wii was starting to feel a little neglected...

5. chappers

You could already do this on V+

1. chappers

erm I mean TIVO

6. CompuGuide

XBMC + Yatse app has been doing this for a while ...

... as well as acting as a remote control, displaying posters and metadata from all your movie, music & videos, and a lot more.

Check it out - a brilliant app

Downside is you have to setup XBMC on a netapp box and connect that to your TV.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like