back to article Microsoft loads botnet-crushing data into Azure

Microsoft is plugging its security intelligence systems into Azure so that service providers and local authorities can get near-realtime information on botnets and malware detected by Redmond. The new Windows Azure-based Cyber Threat Intelligence Program (C-TIP) was unveiled on Tuesday by Microsoft as an extension of its crime …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stuart Elliott
    WTF?

C-TIP & CERTS

I'm not sure, but I think it needs more acronyms.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: C-TIP & CERTS

IANS, but ITINMA.

FTFY.

HTH.

HAND.

2. NomNomNom

Re: C-TIP & CERTS

C-TIP & CERTS sounds like something I've read on a pamphlet on the wall of the doctor's waiting room.

2. ChrisM

Some Good, Some Bad

Good thing, information sharing etc

Bad thing, only available through Azure...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MS just detected multiple devices with huge amounts of spyware hitting the register's website spewing bs about its windows phone and windows 8 products.....

Ohh wait those are just android handsets :)

1. The_Regulator

LOL @ this...

4. Roger 11
    WTF?

Why not make that info available to all?

I'd like to know what's happening and not rely on my ISP to implement counter measures.

5. James Loughner
    Linux

????

Wouldn't it be easier to just write a secure OS :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ????

Seems not, nobody has managed it yet.

2. Paul 129
      Devil

Secure OS seriously?

Why would you loose the chance to implement random weirdness in your competitors?

On a similar note has anyone managed to change the search provider to google in ie10 yet?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Paul 129

Anyone who has put two and two together and gone to the Microsoft search provider page. Has probably managed it.

1. Paul 129

The experience is not a plesant one

last time I tried the google option didn't even look like google. The Mum and dad users certianly ar not going to complete the process.

2. Stuart Elliott
        Black Helicopters

Re: Google on IE10

I have a shortcut saved for when it decides Google UK doesn't want to show up in the gallery.

http://www.iegallery.com/gb/addons/detail.aspx?id=13438

3. Parax

Wouldn't it be easier to just write a more secure OS?

There I fixted it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its a good idea and definitely necessary....

....if the Cloud is ever to live up to its hype!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

wait for it....

cue Eadon rant........

1. GBL Initialiser

Re: wait for it....

Wait, he now has a fan club?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Wait, he now has a fan club?"

I follow him avidly. Half out of clinical curiosity, half out of mildly amused disbelief.

1. GBL Initialiser
          Joke

"I follow him avidly. Half out of clinical curiosity, half out of mildly amused disbelief."

Ahh, I can relate to that. It's the reason I read El Reg comments ;)

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

PR and Marketing spin 101©

"Microsoft is plugging its security intelligence systems into Azure so that service providers and local authorities can get near-realtime information on botnets and malware detected by Redmond"

For todays lesson we'll work on producing an advertorial that positively spins failure to the defeat the botnets and malware infestation, into one that praises Azure ...

9. i like crisps
    Go

What about..

...Instead of M.A.R.S, they called it The SECURE HIVE EVOLUTION LAN DATA OMEGA NODE?

Yours faithfully,

Prof S. Cooper

1. johnck

Re: What about..

If they dont like that one may be Nearly Omnipotent Destroyer Leaving Electronic Homes Safe

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What about..

SECURE HIVE EVOLUTION LAN DATA OMEGA NODE

ROTFLMAO!!!

10. s. pam Silver badge
    Facepalm

I can't hear you, is that a Q-tip

So the Borg have not fixed their OS issues, but have this new trick.

I must have my wary ears blocked with Redmond Wax.

Where's the Q-Tip when you need it?

11. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

Give Microsoft some credit for working upstream against spammers

However, I actually HATE spammers more than that. I've decided the ultimate sin is wasting other people's time, and the spammer's are the leading WHOLESALE wasters. Yes, it's good to hit them upstream, but I'm on the downstream end and I want to help hit them. I want the anti-spammer tools to attack ALL of the spammers' infrastructure, to pursue ALL of the spammers' accomplices, and to help and protect ALL of the spammers' victims.

Why can't any of the major email systems understand the value of being the real leader against the spammers? Don't they understand how they could increase the value of their email by removing more of the spammers? Don't they understand how it would increase the value of the Internet for everyone by removing more of the criminals? Maybe Yahoo desperately wants to go bankrupt? Why else would Yahoo be the leading supporter of spammers (among the big three). (BTW, there are a number of minor supporters who should be nuked, perhaps by having their email delayed in proportion to their slowness in removing the spammers' dropboxes.)

12. Andre Thenot
    Coat

Should be Quantified Threat Intelligence Program

… or Q-TIP.

13. JCitizen
    Megaphone

What a joke!

I have at least one client who was attacked directly ON Azure! How is it going to help you with all this worthless information, when Microsoft itself is hacked! Probably from the "inside" !!!

14. Tree
    Coffee/keyboard

data on malware-infected computers

The malware comes into Windows computers through the compromises MS has made to keep its monopoly power. This monopoly power is more important than protecting the user. Otherwise ASS- Sure would be part of every installation.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like