back to article Turkey bans Facebook app

Turkey has banned access to Slide, a presentation application, for hosting offensive content. Slide is one of the most popular applications on Facebook. According to the company's blog it was accused of "harboring pictures and articles that are considered to be insulting to Ataturk". Mustafa Kemal Ataturk is the founder of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adnim

You will

Think the way we think. We will deny you any opportunity to think otherwise.

2. Collin French

Hmmm

Not the first, nor the last time. It's been a while though. Last I heard the Turkish had banned wordpress.com - I don't know if the ban has been lifted yet.

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

EU membership

The sooner we let them in, the better. Then all such bans will be overruled by the higher court they've just abandoned their sovereignty to. (I never really understood why they had to comply with all the rules *before* they join. Just let them join and take them to the cleaners in the European court.)

4. Liam

and they want to be part of the EU?

as far as im concerned these countries have to prove themselves as worth EU nations - they simply are not. no civil rights and free speech = not in the EU

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Hypocrisy

Funny that. One of the most important legacies of Ataturk is the secular state: separation of Church and State. And it's that same government that is currently trying to undermine those secular principles by trying to slowly introduce Islamic Law in Turkey. That's a tactic otherwise know as "diversion", well rehearsed by the Blair and Bush governments: "Look, those evil people out there undermining our glorious nation and everything we stand for! What? Those law changes we're doing at home? Oh don't worry, they're for your own good!"

6. Sean Aaron

Two laws not one...

Insulting Turkishness is one law and defaming Ataturk is another. The former is probably going to go away as it's something the EU has underlined and it's too broad; I don't think the latter is up for discussion and I'm sure Turkey would gladly pass up EU membership over it.

Oh and Liam, I think you're living in a bit of a fantasy-land if you think that the EU is some kind of bastion of free speech. Banning defamation of Mustafa Kemal is not a big deal; Turkey should should definitely be part of the EU -- I mean Bulgaria and Romania? Give me a break...

This topic is closed for new posts.