back to article Mozilla teams up with Foxconn for Firefox 'fondleslab'

Mozilla is working with Apple hardware-maker Foxconn to release a mobile device running Firefox OS, it told news outlets on Monday, and plans to unveil it at an event next week. The foundation told Reuters it had teamed up with Hon Hai Precision Industry Co on the device as part of its global expansion plans for the operating …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

Foxconn has been looking to reduce its dependence on Apple

Selling 8 FF devices isn't going to help. FF(O)S is going to make Nokia look like a giant.

2. Ralph B
    Happy

Join the Club

Are we going to see Mozilla referred to as Foxconn-rebrander too now then?

1. Raumkraut

Re: Join the Club

As I understand it, Mozilla have no desire to sell phones themselves. In this instance, they're in the business of making the OS; hardware is up to manufacturers (of course, that's also what Google said about Android, at first).

It's entirely feasible that it won't be rebranded at all, and be released under the Foxconn name. The "Foxconn Fire"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Foxconn Fire"?

The Foxconn Ember?

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge

The Foxconn Ection?

1. JDX Gold badge

Foxconn Troll?

2. cortland

Hmm. Is this like Samson's foxes? Great burning batteries, Batman!

3. BigGdog
    Meh

open handset alliance

I was under the impression that ZTE was a member of the open handset alliance meaning they weren't allowed to sell phones based on an android fork so i checked out the current members which include ZTE, sprint and even foxconn!

Surely this breaks the same rules that prevented Aliyun from appearing on any big name handset brands? Amazon obviously gets away with there fork as they don't sell their own handsets running android.

1. Richard Tobin

Re: open handset alliance

Is Firefox OS really an Android fork? Isn't it just another Linux-based phone OS that shares some code with Android?

1. Another Justin

As I understand it Firefox OS isn't in any way a fork of Android - the only code shared with Android is stuff for interacting with the hardware which is used to allow Firefox OS to run on Android-compatible devices. Presumably this wouldn't be needed at all if it was being run on purpose-built hardware.

2. Greg J Preece

Is Firefox OS really an Android fork? Isn't it just another Linux-based phone OS that shares some code with Android?

Nope, it's nothing like. It uses the driver stack, I believe, and that's about it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Somone want to tell them

That the world has moved on from HTML widgets...

5. ACx

I thought use of Foxconn was default evil?

I do hope the grief Apple got will be equalled by the grief Mozilla should get.

6. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

First use of the term fondleslab?

The Register October 2010 ..

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: First use of the term fondleslab?

Firefox OS is being primarily developed for phones, not tablets. Fondleslab penetration to follow. More importantly, the target markets are in areas that do not have a lot of existing customers (Latin America, Africa, Eastern Europe). No walled gardens for developers and customers to worry about/be protected by.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. SuperHappy
    Happy

Pleez do NOT call it 'fondleslab' lol

9. cortland
    Paris Hilton

That's too bad

But we've still got Windows!

And we've always got Paris.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like