back to article The Tomorrow People jaunt back to the airwaves

Seminal seventies science fiction show The Tomorrow People is jaunting back to television. The premise of The Tomorrow People was simple: living among us are young people who have already achieved the next stage of evolution, acquiring abilities like telepathy and teleportation (referred to as "jaunting" along the way. Less- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Phil W

heroes

Isn't this this the basic premise of Heroes? Making this yet another reboot

1. Ian K
      Holmes

Re: heroes

Well, it obviously shares a title and basic plot with a seventies series so I don't think anyone's trying to sneak some sort of reboot past us on the quiet.

As far as it being a reboot of Heroes goes...not really. In Heroes the characters generally had one signature power (c.f. X-Men, and a lot of other superheroic things), in Tomorrow People - or the classic one, at least - it's very much a standard power set all of them get.

Both programs have the "people with special powers existing in secret" angle, but as a basic plot idea that one stretches back to ancient mythology and the "scion of Gods raised as a mortal" thing.

So...hardly original, but no more a knock-off of Heroes than Heroes was a knock-off of the original TP.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Coat

"Isn't this this the basic premise of Heroes? Making this yet another reboot"

The Tomorrow People dates from the 70's, make Heroes the re-boot.

Although I'd be surprised if Heroes creator had even heard of it.

Yes it's an anorak.

1. Phil W

That's what I meant, that heroes was a reboot of the original TP, making this reboot another reboot. But yeah there are some differences between heroes and TP.

3. Daniel B.

Nope

I have never watched the original one, but I did get to see a couple of episodes from the 90's revival. More like X-Men, maybe, except that all of 'em have a base set of powers vs. having a special one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Nope

Tyso had a different power, most had nothing but telepathy without their "jaunt belt"

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Nope

The Jaunt Belt - did anyone else spend ages with their thumbs tucked in their waistband trying desperately to teleport? Please tell me it wasn't just me ...

4. beep54
      Happy

Actually, what the description reminded me most of was A. E. van Vogt's novel 'Slan' (1946, I am surprised to discover). Still quite a read :)

5. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

It's the basic premise of cryptojudaism. The Spanish Inquisition should sue! (No one would expect that.)

See also: Medieval witch-hunting; Early Modern England's panic over secret Papists (particularly Jesuits, who were often imagined by the less-educated to have special powers); legal and social battles over miscegenation and blood quantum in the US and elsewhere; the plot of many SF stories and novels, including famous ones like Odd John and Children of the Atom; and so on.

So to say that Heroes was a reboot of the original Tomorrow People, or the new one a reboot of Heroes, is rather like suggesting that all stories about spouses with secrets are reboots of "Cupid and Psyche". It's a widely-used archetype that goes back as far as the written record, and no doubt further; it's basic human anxiety about being able to police the social group and detect outsiders posing as insiders.

2. Tim Roberts 1
    Alien

darkness

Is it my imagination or are series like this largely shot in darkness or semi-darkness? Actually don't bother to answer because I know they are ............

1. Number6

Re: darkness

It's cheaper if you can save on the lighting bill. If it's shot in Europe then the EU has probably prohibited them from using anything more thirsty than a 40W bulb.

2. jake Silver badge

@Tim Roberts 1 (was: Re: darkness)

It's actually called "day for night" in the trade.

Totally ugly for folks who know how to use a camera and lighting.

1. Kubla Cant

Re: @Tim Roberts 1 (was: darkness)

There was a François Truffaut film called "Day for Night". I was amused to see that the French for "day for night" appeared to be "la nuit américaine". Presumably this reflects its ugliness, along the lines of "French leave", "Dutch courage" etc.

3. jake Silver badge

Is anyone writing anything new in the entertainment world?

Not from where I'm sitting.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: Is anyone writing anything new in the entertainment world?

No and this is why I never watch, let alone buy, Hollywood's latest bowel evacuations. It's the same old shit all the time.

2. Tom 7

I've found that putting canned laughter on the news seems to produce a similar effect to most modern US comedies.

They seem to have given up on original scripts so that may be next.

Or: We may actually live in a world where we are now seeing the truth behind the old saying that there are only a limited number of available understandable plots and only a limited number of understandable ways of re-painting them.

3. jef_

Try Utopia (if you haven't already). It nearly passed me by. I rate Black Mirror highly too (the last one was a bit so-so though, imho...).

4. John 62
      Headmaster

Indeed, they probably predate ancient greece, from where many of today's entertainment themes can be traced.

1. Wayland Sothcott 1

You have the escape from the garden of eden theme with The Island, Logans Run and many others.

You have all the Super Heroes as Orphans; Spiderman, Superman, Iron Man, Harry Potter.

You have the Woman In Red (or red hair) theme in Iron Man, Alice In Wonderland and loads of others.

The hero with a gammy leg, I used to be good at naming these until I took an arrow to the knee.

Look out for these themes in movies.

5. NomNomNom

"No and this is why I never watch, let alone buy, Hollywood's latest bowel evacuations. It's the same old shit all the time."

Hmm bowel evacuations. How come we haven't made a movie about bowels?

WE'RE GOING DOWN! EVACUATE THE BOWEL!

1. Eddy Ito
        Coat

"Hmm bowel evacuations. How come we haven't made a movie about bowels?"

I get a scents it would stink.

I know what's in the pocket and you can keep it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

70's TV?

I don't remember watching TV in the 70s. What I do remember is living in squats, free festivals and the "Camberwell Carrot". Did a bit of "jaunting" as well. Who needs CGI?

Ah! Those were the days :)

1. Yet Another Commentard
      Headmaster

Re: 70's TV?

You remember the Camberwell Carrot in the '70s! Impressive for a quote from a 1987 film.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>>You remember the Camberwell Carrot in the '70s! Impressive for a quote from a 1987 film.

It was set in 1969. Also if you want a cool smoke from a disposable pipe a hollowed out carrot* does the job.

I think that this is called "prior art". Anyway thanks for spotting the connection, pedant.

*Or a pear, parsnip etc.

1. Naughtyhorse
          FAIL

Cool your boots man!

That! is _not_ a camberwell carrot!

quote;

Danny: The joint I am about to roll requires a craftsman that can utilise up to twelve skins. It is called a Camberwell Carrot.

Marwood: It's impossible to use twelve papers on one joint.

Danny: It is impossible to roll a Camberwell Carrot with anything less.

Withnail: Who says it's a Camberwell Carrot?

Danny: I do. I invented it in Camberwell and it looks like a carrot.

so nothing to do with veg at all.

1. BorkedAgain
            Thumb Up

Is there anyone here* that can read that transcript and *not* hear Danny's voice loud and clear? One of my favourite little nibbles of drug-related dialogue ever... :)

* That's seen the movie, mind...

5. Ken 16 Silver badge

They're a bit old aren't they?

I thought Tomorrow people developed their powers at puberty.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: They're a bit old aren't they?

That explains a lot.

Most of us discovered girls instead.....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Most of us discovered girls instead.....

and then discovered girls quite like sitting on sofas watching TV!

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

They were undiscovered quickly.

2. Corbis

My first thoughts too....

The original was largely staffed by teens whereas the reboot looks more like the cast of 901210. Why does American TV do this? Can't their kids act? Completely spoils the show for me, like the movie series American Pie; full of twenty/thirtysomethings running around pretending to be teens.

6. graeme leggett Silver badge

Thought there'd already been one remake

In the early 1990s.

If you add in Big Finish audios that could make this the third-and-a-half outing of the idea.

1. stucs201

Re: Thought there'd already been one remake

The article thinks there has too : "The show came back for a short 90's revival.... "

7. Spider

that's that f***ed then.

is there a single original thought left in media? anywhere?...

mind you, looking forward to them trying to make ain't 'alf hot mum politically correct...

1. Elmer Phud

Re: that's that f***ed then.

"mind you, looking forward to them trying to make ain't 'alf hot mum politically correct..."

Starting with Gove's use of English as a basis?

"Mater, it is rather warm, donchyouknow."

"Right (but not too far right) then, my beauties (that is, in my eyes everyone is beautiful in a human appreciation way, not in a homosexual way but that's sort of O.K. in its own way) let's be 'aving you! (once again this is intended to be a rousing cry and not a call for mass buggery although . . .) ."

'kit, put him in the curry

8. Rustywarrior
    Thumb Up

I'm on a nostalgia trip...

...and I'm quite looking forward to it.

OK so CW aims itself squarely at the "young adult" market but Arrow was actually quite good and if it matches up to that then I'll be happy.

1. Naughtyhorse

Re: I'm on a nostalgia trip...

hmmm

arrow??

brings the term 'harbles' and 'sucked' irresistibly to mind.

The first few eps had some good choreography, but that male lead, (either pronunciation is apposite) whoever he was - had me cheering for the bad guys by ep 03.

9. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Headmaster

'twas the season of…

six-season seventies run

What, it ran from spring 1974 to autumn 1975? 'Course, I only watch the box set.

10. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
    Coat

Waiting for a reboot of...

The Wombles 2030 - 15 years into the future, the famous common-cleaners suddenly find they have superpowers enabling them to clean up the syringes, broken bottles, diapers and tampons within the first minute of each episode, leaving them another 39 minutes to reverse global warming and avert a global catastrophe (or some such bollocks)

Captain Pugwash; Revisited - the crew of the Black Pig, including ships' mate Seaman Staines*, first officer Master Bates* and of course Roger the Cabin Boy*, battle supernatural monsters from the deep a la Pirates of the Caribbean, whilst rescuing various damsels in distress from fates worse than death.

* may not actually be their real names

I foresee many re'imaginings' of various series' over the next few years, given that we appear to have exhausted all possibilities for genuinely original writing (although Oblivion was actually quite good).

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Waiting for a reboot of...

Can we also have the "Clangers". In this day and age of recycling they would be perfect.

1. Spoonsinger
        Terminator

Re: "Can we also have the "Clangers"?

Only if they dig up the robot from 'Hardware'. Comical bloody japes should then ensue.

2. jjk
      Pint

Re: Waiting for a reboot of...

Fsck the Wombles, I want to see the Borribles filmed.

11. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Jaunting?

The Stars My Destination did it first. :D

1. Graham Marsden
      Thumb Up

Re: Jaunting?

AKA "Tiger, Tiger" by Alfred Bester.

Well worth a read :-)

1. ChrisM

Also 'The Chrysalids' by John Wyndham. No jaunting but group thinking and being oppressed in a post-apocalyptic world.

1. JimC

The basic theme dates back at least to Olaf Stapledon and "Odd John", and probably before... Shouldn'tt be suprised if there were something in Athenian theatre...

1. Dave 126

I enjoyed "The Demolished Man", but I must have been sleepy when I got to the last chapter - I felt like I missed something in the ending. I should give it another go.

Again, it is set in a near-future in which society has adjusted to many people having psychic powers.

2. keithpeter Silver badge
        Windows

The Demolished Man - Re: Jaunting?

"AKA "Tiger, Tiger" by Alfred Bester."

@Graham Marsden

"The Demolished Man" seems interesting...

"Bester creates a harshly capitalistic, hierarchical and competitive social world that exists without deceit: a society where the right person with some skill (or money) and curiosity can access your memories, secrets, fears and past misdeeds more swiftly than even you."

Sounds like Gobook (Faceogle)

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: The Demolished Man - Jaunting?

Alfred Bester is one of the most unrecognised authors of scfi. I don't think I've ever read a bad story by him. I was first introduced to him through a Marks and Spencer collection of science fiction novels I got for my birthday, which has "The Demolished Man" (it also has "2001: A Space Oddysey", "The Day of the Triffids", and "I, Robot" - a real treat!). Bester wrote of a kind of world I hadn't come across before, and which I still carry close to the front of my head as we move into the world of the technological "peeper".

1. Vic
            Joke

> Alfred Bester is one of the most unrecognised authors of scfi.

I'll betcha he pinched all his dieas.

that's the thing about being such a big cheese in Psi Corps. You can get away with it.

"The Corps is Mother. The Corps is Father"

Vic.

2. Dave Bell
          Big Brother

Eight, sir; seven, sir;

Six, sir; five, sir;

Four, sir; three, sir;

Two, sir; one!

Tenser, said the Tensor.

Tenser, said the Tensor.

Tension, apprehension,

And dissension have begun.

3. Faceless Man

I believe the use of "jaunt" in The Tomorrow People was a deliberate reference to Bester who had influenced some of the ideas.

2. Dave 126

Curiously for Sci-Fi that concerns itself with 'the next step in human/sentient entity evolution', The Stars My Destination is set in a world where everybody has developed the ability to teleport themselves, and society has adjusted to this. In the book, everybody can 'jaunt', within a certain distance (so spaceships are still required) and that they know where there are going. As a consequence, terrestrial vehicles are toys not necessities, and rich people use labyrinths to protect their privacy.

Alfred Bester's short stories also explore consequences of people possessing powers they don't understand, in a serious way... I can't help but think his experience as a sports writer (young people gifted with 'special' physical abilities, etc) influenced his subject matter.

Well recommended.

12. Zot

Will they keep the funky theme tune?...

...probably not!

This will stick in your head all day, sorry!! :)

70s Tomorrrow People theme tune:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xez4o1ujOPI

1. David Given
      Thumb Up

Re: Will they keep the funky theme tune?...

Mmm, it's okay. I rate it about a 8 out of 10, where 10/10 is, of course, Ulysses 31:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8

I only ever knew the Tomorrow People from the books (we weren't allowed commercial TV at our place). It's interesting to actually see one on Youtube. It's not nearly as terrible as I thought it would be...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

David Given,

Well if you're going to remind me of that, which I'd almost totally forgotten, I think I'll have to return the favour with some funky 70s sci-fi of my own: Battle of the Planets via YouTube.

Although for cartoon themes that stick in your head forever, despite your best efforts to purge them from memory, I think I'll have to go to YouTube for this.

I feel a bit ashamed now, I'd forgotten just how awful that was.

2. Simon Harris
      IT Angle

@Zot ...

Watching that title sequence I happened to spot the IT angle as Dr. Christopher Evans (the sadly shortlived author and presenter of The Mighty Micro) was credited as being scientific advisor on The Tomorrow People.

13. FlyingPhil

That awesome Tomorrow People theme

Thanks for posting a link to the fabulous Tomorrow People opening and closing themes and visuals.

I've always thought the opening credits were one of the most effective and striking ever, for a tv program. Simple, yet kinetic, and that "opening hand" still seems quite creepy and scary even today.

This show left a lasting impression with me as a young kid (as did Children of the Stones and Timeslip). And it sure spurred our childhood playground imaginations. We could jaunt all around the school yard just by grabbing our belts and running from the spot from where we disappeared to the spot where we appeared. I so wish I could still do that today :-)

For people who have never seen it, it is well worth one and a half minutes of your life clicking on the link.

1. Alien Doctor 1.1

Re: That awesome Tomorrow People theme

Don't forget "Sky" - another great HTV-produced kids series.

2. The Brave Sir Robin
      Thumb Up

I used to love the Tomorrow People when I was a kid in the 70's. The music really set the mood. Feeling nostalgic and very old right now. I hope they do a good job on this. Supernatural is one of theirs and that is excellent so they can make good telly if they try.

3. nichomach
      Happy

I'd forgotten that, although judging from the credits for Fringe, JJ Abrams hadn't... Not that that's in any sense a bad thing, mind.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

"and that "opening hand" still seems quite creepy and scary even today"

The hairs are standing up on the back of my neck just thinking about that!!!

*the faceless man in the photo graphs in sapphire and steel has a similar effect...Both from my childhood..

5. Intractable Potsherd

Re: That awesome Tomorrow People theme @ FlyingPhil

Thanks for answering my earlier question - it wasn't just me with the thumbs down the waistband! That's a relief :-)

6. Wayland Sothcott 1
      Thumb Up

I just watched Children Of The Stones. It's excellent. The pace is such that you can really enjoy the spooky atmosphere.

14. Gavin McMenemy
    Thumb Down

Looks like generic cr*p

Like a lot of these sorts of shows that feature teenagers (in their 20s) who are improbably good looking and coiffed.

1. Daniel B.

Re: Looks like generic cr*p

I unfortunately can infer that even before watching any trailer, because of this:

picked up by The CW Network, a youth-oriented outfit that is home to shows including America's Next Top Model, Gossip Girl, 90210, Arrow and The Vampire Diaries

The only show barely worth watching in that list is the one featuring a pirated version of Ezio Auditore. The others are crap!

15. Tony S

US Remakes

There seems to be a belief amongst the Hollywood suits that they have to remake everything. I've yet to see a single re-made programme that was actually worth watching; and many that were doomed to failure from the beginning.

This clip from Stargate just about sums it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8pJhi1kB80

1. Don Jefe

Re: US Remakes

You didn't get the memo? All creative types were to be replaced with staff from accounting.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think those of us who loved the rebooted BSG would disagree with you on that. They did make one remake worth watching. I'm perfectly happy for Hollywood to remake whatever they like. I just don't have to watch it.

3. Christian Berger

I have seen the US remake of "The IT Crowd", those guys have no idea about pacing. Even the German remake was better than the US one.

4. rurwin

A good remake would be fantastic. Child actors now are incredibly better than anything in the original series, or the 90's remake, even the adults.

However this is not a good remake.

16. TheOldGuy

Didn't they have some kind of organic AI? I have vague memories of something with lots of tubes hanging from the ceiling of their base.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

> Didn't they have some kind of organic AI?

Ah yes, "Tim".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No I think it was....

T.I.M. and looked like Orac mated with a vacuum cleaner and stuck on the ceiling and occasionally on a small drinks trolley....

17. foozle

The Tomorrow Young People

An ok yet obviously unoriginal premise that will no doubt be ruined by love fuelled angst and people talking about their "feelings".

The Avengers series looks far more promising, though when will a network be brave enough to produce a new space sci-fi? I'm sure that's what we're all yearning for.

18. Christian Berger

Sci-fi is at a dead end...

...you need to re-invent it. You need to try out something new. Get rid of the same old smooth CGI and get something new and fresh.

Like, for example Ijon Tichy Raumpilot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecTxsiSBucs

1. Naughtyhorse

Re: Sci-fi is at a dead end...

Ahh German! the language of love!

Is it just my conditioning, or is he steering the ship with a big red todger?

1. David Given
        Facepalm

Re: Sci-fi is at a dead end...

You mean the ship that's actually a huge cafetiere?

Yes. Yes, he is.

19. Chris 3

Fond memories

... but there was one episode that scared the willies out of me - it featured Munch's The Scream - other than that I can remember nothing about it.

Waiting for a Time Slip reboot now.

20. Portent
    Happy

I wish they would remake...

I have great memories of watching the Tomorrow People. I wish someone would remake Sapphire and Steel too.

1. Duffy Moon
      Thumb Down

Re: I wish they would remake...

You know they'd ruin it though. The charm of S&S was partly due to the great actors and slow build-up. They'd turn that into a 45-minute wham-bam action-packed extravaganza with some rubbish young actors cast mainly on appearance.

Harrumph.

I think I might give my DVDs of S&S a spin later..

21. NobbyNobbs
    Pirate

Id rather..

see a Sapphire and Steel reboot. now that was a good series.

22. Salts

How about

Blakes 7,

23. Haku
    Flame

TV networks suck.

SyFy cancelled "Alphas" and now the CW does a re-hash of an old series?

FFS!

24. tkioz

Of course all the characters are American... I mean why wouldn't the next evolution of humanity be spread out...

1. fandom

Well, if you want to see a series in which the the next evolution of humanity happens to be in Spain you can always watch 'Los protegidos'

Funny how series usually take place in the country that produces them, isn't it?

1. tkioz
        Unhappy

Take place is different from casting. What's wrong with having an Asian guy being FROM ASIA or a black dude being from AFRICA instead of American?

1. fandom

That depends on the story you are trying to tell, if you want to tell a story about how mankind has risen above difficulties to create a kind of utopia, it makes perfect sense to have people from all over the world, that's what the original Star Trek series did, as unbelievable as it may have been at the time, they even had a Scottish character.

But if the story you are telling doesn't require foreign characters adding them just because it is politically correct is wrong, not as wrong a writing some words in capital letters for no reason, but pretty wrong anyway.

And besides, it's not like Asian and African people need western help to make movies or tv series, they are quite capable people.

25. OzBob
    Meh

Meh, suffers the "John Carter" problem.

Is the original idea that comes after the derived series (Mutant X, X-men, Heroes), so looks derived itself. And tomorrow people was like Dr Who; cheesy FX but clever plots (reverse for any American sci-fi).

26. Andy 97
    WTF?

Just wait for Space 1999...

As noted above, everyone seems scared of doing original formats now.

I wonder how Space 1999 will look once they've shrunk the flared trousers, jumpsuits and lost Vaseline on the lens during Barbara Bain's close-ups.

1. BoldMan

Re: Just wait for Space 1999...

There is talk of a Hollywoodised Space 2099 in development hell as well as an updated UFO... don't hold your breath!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/space-2099-television-remake-288601

http://www.ufo-themovie.com/shado/

2. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Just wait for Space 1999...

Yep - Space 1999 had the most ham-fisted camera-operators in TV history. Greasy lenses every week!

27. James Hughes 1

Help my vague memory

I don't think it was the tomorrow people but does anyone remember a series where there seemed to be a problem with any sort of technology. I remember children being afraid of electricity pylons etc - couldn't go near them. And I also seem to remember some sort of rock or cave that was causing the effect - may even have the name Merlin associated? Dunno - all help gratefully received - been trying to remember it for years.

1. BoldMan

Re: Help my vague memory

You are referring to the series "Changes" whereby a magical rick caused humanity to turn against technology in an effort to bring back the "Old Religion".

If memory serves it was Merlin stuck in the rock that was doing it and it fell to one English schoolgirl to have lots of adventures before persuade him to stop being a prat.

1. BoldMan
        Thumb Down

"magical rick"???? Obviously the brother of Magical Trevor...

1. James Hughes 1

@Boldman. Thanks - am in awe of your much better than mine memory.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"sexed-up", "US" and "reboot"

Lovely.

29. Kubla Cant
    Joke

Tomorrow's World

I've never heard of the original TV series, so when I read the headline I assumed it was something to do with the people who presented Tomorrow's World.

But after reading on I realised that one was a stupid sci-fi fantasy and the other was The Tomorrow People.

30. WereWoof
    IT Angle

Tomorrow People it could be argued was a reboot of The Champions . . . . .

31. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

The CW Network, a youth-oriented outfit that is home to shows including America's Next Top Model, Gossip Girl, 90210, Arrow and The Vampire Diaries

Except that 90210 has been cancelled, and Gossip Girl has finished its (planned) final season.

CW's most profitable property is probably Supernatural. Vampire Diaries and Arrow pulled in more total viewers in the 2012-213 season, but Supernatural has just finished its 8th solidly-performing season and been renewed for a 9th; it's a blue-chip show. And it sells well on DVD and there are books and other tie-ins.

It's also the most watchable thing on the CW, I'd say. Though I haven't tried to watch more than an episode or two of anything else they're showing these days.

32. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Just watched the preview. Plus: Mark Pellegrino! Minus: The ensemble of protagonists appear to be utterly obnoxious posers who insist on unnecessary exposition and displays of amazement at their own abilities. A tip for the Tomorrow People writers and directors: underreaction generally beats overreaction.

Still, Mark Pellegrino. Might have to watch the first episode just to see him showing the other actors how it's done. (Of course, even he couldn't save the mind-numbingly awful Revolution. The man's an actor, not a wizard.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like