back to article 'Chinese hack' scoops plan to Oz spook HQ

Australia is in the grip of a hacking scare, with its national broadcaster airing claims that Chinese attackers obtained copies of the plans for its new spooks' headquarters. According to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Four Corners program, copies of plans for the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation's new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Don Jefe

Value

OK. This sucks for them and is embarrassing but I wonder what 'today's' bad guy can do with it. I can see the radios being compromised as a problem but not the building plans. Who in today's world is going to mount a frontal assault on a government facility in its home country?

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Value

You've seen Skyfall right?

(If so I'm sorry.)

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

The radio's design being compromised should not be *that* much of an issue as a system for such use should be designed to be secure and jam-resistant even with general knowledge of the frequency range and modulations, etc, being used.

Unless said plans also included the various PN & encryption keys as well that ought to be kept 'top secret' and on a need-to-know basis only.

Oh dear, if its like the UK's favourite IT contractors then they are royally screwed, aren't they?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I wonder what 'today's' bad guy can do with it."

According to this morning's BBC Radio 4 fuckwit, <br>spouting hysterical -<br>"Coz the plans show the location of the server room<br>it opens them up to cyberhacking".

2. Blofeld's Cat
    Terminator

"Who in today's world is going to mount a frontal assault on a government facility in its home country?"

People like Timothy McVeigh?

1. Don Jefe

Drive a truck filled with explosives up to the front door of a high security government facility? I don't think so.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But they won't need to - now that they have the plans they can abseil down from the roof avoiding the (strangely visible) laser defence network

But since all the australian spy agency does is spy on other branches of the australian government while failing to notice the large number of foreign spies generally working for it (ie they are exactly like every other intelligence agency) - this isn't going to do much harm

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Didn't a plane land on the Pentagon a few years back?

Do you not read the news?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Blofeld's Cat

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that having the plans for the security wiring of a building won't make much difference if you plan to blow it up with a truckload of explosives.

1. Don Jefe

Re: @Blofeld's Cat

Or if you're going to fly a plane into it...

3. Ole Juul

Credibility factor missing - as usual

- someone is trying to undermine the credibility of the OZ spooks, or

- the OZ spooks don't know how to maintain their credibility, or

- it didn't happen

- all of the above

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Credibility factor missing - as usual

or that's what they want you to think !

4. tkioz
    FAIL

I saw it last night and while there was a lot of hype, it was still an interesting watch. There was some American dude on there saying we 'need to hit back!', of course he works for a private company selling 'offensive cyber weapons' so I'll take that with a grain of salt... but what do we steal? Most everything China has is stuff they've got from western companies!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zombified vending machines

"Hello comrade, you want imperial western fizzy drink?"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" A breach might, however, mean anything from black-hats wandering through networks at will to someone carelessly clicking on the link and needing to get trojans cleaned from their machines."

If there is a trojan on a user's machine then there is a blackhat wandering around the network at will, at least for that user account and as soon as a network admin elevates the privileges to do something on the machine for that user, he probably has free access to the network.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, you're not gonna hide that.

At a guess, I'd say that this is the place ;)

http://goo.gl/maps/gT1PY

Now where did those drainage tunnel plans go?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like