back to article Facebook Home phone plans canned in the UK

The HTC First "Facebook phone" is not coming to the UK after its frigid reception in the US, and the social networking company is going back to work on the app after mass user apathy. Neither EE or Orange plan to offer the HTC First, Mobile News reported on Thursday (and El Reg subsequentially confirmed), which begs the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

huh?

"...many disgruntled users complaining of the way Facebook Home Facebookifies their phones"

It's a freakin FACEBOOK Phone, what the feck did they expect?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: huh?

Facebook Home != Facebook Phone.

2. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

Never give up

Never give up, try a Facebook blue touch condom next. Learn from Microsoft, the third try will be a success.

1. asdf
      Trollface

Re: Never give up

>the third try will be a success

In mobile? You meant thirtieth right?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Copy and Paste.

It would be quicker to just report the same story over and over, with different timestamps, because any news related to this FaceB0rk product will just keep repeating the same bottom line...no one wants it.

1. Mephistro
      Thumb Up

Re: Copy and Paste.

Or a form instead, something like:

When they launched their latest product, [LatestProductName], the big company [BigCompanyName] discovered that ignoring the user's opinions is dangerous and costly....

4. Neoc
    Facepalm

"many disgruntled users complaining of the way Facebook Home Facebookifies their phones"

Really? So if I buy (say) a Ford, I should complain loudly that it has the Ford logo prominent on it?

Next in the news, consumers complain that their water is too wet.

1. M Gale

Maybe if the Bluetooth loudspeaker in the car also copied the contacts from your phone and sent them to Ford's servers, you'd have a point.

Or perhaps if Kenwood employees recognised you had one of their stereos and spray-painted their logo onto your car overnight?

5. Big-nosed Pengie
    Headmaster

Begs the question

You keep using that expression. I do not think it means what you think it means.

6. asdf

i still say

It may well be worth getting this phone on Ebay as it is such an epic fail it may be worth money someday. Plus it would make a great companion to the Microsoft Kin for the all time biggest fail phones.

7. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Holmes

An interesting spin

"While many people love it, we've heard a lot of great feedback about how to make Home substantially better."

By removing it?

Surely what is being said here is 'many other people aren't interested in it, even given away..."

8. Nigel Brown

Oh dear, how WILL we cope?

I'll just DIE if I cant get 200 reports about the weather and photos of people's breakfasts.........

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vanilla Android

With just a Facebook launcher (which is all it is IIUC)?

Sounds like a nice piece IF carrier-unlocked and cheap, just download your launcher of choice.

10. dingdong
    Facepalm

"many disgruntled users complaining of the way Facebook Home Facebookifies their phones"

This is a surprise? I thought that was the whole point of the app?

Disclaimer: I don't have it and didn't try it. But Shirley that would be what I would have expected it to do.

11. Trustme
    Facepalm

The problem is putting the word "Facebook" on everything

We know Zuck has to diversify his empire and get into businesses that actually make a decent ROI, but he doesn't seem to have worked out that he's reached saturation point with Facebook, and further branding things as "Facebook this" or "Facebook that" will receive automatic antipathy because of it. He should just start seperate businesses that don't reference FB in any way so they can still be received as fresh and new, not old and stale like everything Facebook related.

1. Tony Paulazzo

Re: The problem is putting the word "Facebook" on everything

Zuck has to diversify his empire

Well, I haven't seen 'The Network' or really followed Zuckerbergs life story, but the impressions I get are that he basically stole that one idea that proved popular. I might be wrong.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bit of a shame

'cos if you disable Facebook Home in Settings (something a chimp could do in 10 seconds) the First is a rather nice, very well made and pretty affordable stock Jelly Bean handset.

13. turnip handler

Who is the market?

If you are into social media then chances are you have multiple social media accounts. If you've got multiple social media accounts then what you really want is to have updates brought together in a single feed, or single place for notifications so you don't need to check multiple sites.

Apps with notifications work well for this, but a dedicated Facebook phone seems to miss this completely instead assuming everything a user does is via facebook.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who is the market?

Anyone remember Motorofl's Motobleugh?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like