back to article Citrix halfway to Avalon with XenDesktop 7 desktop and app virtualizer

Citrix Systems is just as eager to cloudify its installed base of customers as is VMware. And so it has taken one step closer to accomplishing that goal with the launch of XenDesktop 7 at its Synergy customer and partner event in Anaheim. Both companies have vast installed bases: VMware has 500,000 customers with around 38 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ecofeco Silver badge
    Joke

No Citrix! Don't do it! Put down the cloud!

"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it."

2. ZenaB
    Thumb Down

XenApp users: Don't feel left out?

Why, because we get next to nothing? Why would we feel left out? Our product still isnt supported on server 2012 and we've now got a bastardised web interface to use. Oh, but we can share out opengl apps now! Huzzah! Citrix Receiver so easy to install users can do it themselves! Never mind that it used to be able to update *itself* back in the PSx days. But you can do it clientless now! Yeah great, you could before with the Java client which ran automatically.

The old trick of put something in, take it out in the next release, then put a crappy version back in on the next release again. It still feels like they're in the process of changing everything around but not letting us in on the big picture of where everything is supposed to sit. Come on Citrix, I'm getting fed up of this now..

3. TonyJ
    Alert

XenApp Users

Well I'd guess that given they've gone to XenDesktop 7, straight from 5.6, that we'll shortly see a XA 7 to align product numbers.

Generally agree on StoreFront but Citrix's idea seems to be to use the Merchandising Server to keep clients up to date in a controlled fashion. In terms of keeping the legacy clients up to date, it wasn't all sunshine and happiness - unsigned packages, part-failed installs, upgrades that changed or broke install paths etc could be a huge problem.

I never got on with the Java client but then I have memories of the piece of junk it was back in MetaFrame days.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Who cares

Virtualized or remote access to Windowz apps is soooo 20th century

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like