back to article Slim Shady wannabe Zuck's Facebook 'STOLE' MY SONG - Eminem

Rapper Eminem's song publisher Eight Mile Style is accusing Facebook and its ad agency of (slim) shady dealings with one of his songs. Eminem Eminem ... laugh all you want, but this man is worth millions The publisher filed a copyright lawsuit this week alleging that a short Facebook advert broadcast during the social …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Oh, c'mon, surely

Applying the term "song" to it would be a bit of an exaggeration?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bunch of random notes populated by foul language?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, music I don't like isn't music and poetry with rude words isn't poetry. Let me guess, "kids had more respect in your day"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Quite right - that young upstart Shakespear was to blame

3. Isendel Steel
    Joke

surely...

the abbreviation for the Agency is W an' K ?

4. Cliff

With facebook's cavalier attitude to IP, hardly shocking.

What do you mean, 'your' photos?

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Alert

Hang on....

Surely if it's been posted on Faceberk, then under their Ts & Cs it belongs to them and there is no case here?

6. Ragarath
    Coat

Question!

But it still remains is it "The Real Slim Shady"?

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Question!

No, I'm Spartacus!

1. Titus Aduxass

Re: Question!

...and so's my wife!

7. g e
    Coat

Substantially similar

All rap/hippittyhoppitty sounds the fecking same to me, too.

8. peyton?
    Devil

Zuck is an Eminem fan?

In spite of much just cause (and many snarky, albeit fantastic Reg articles), I can honestly say I had managed to not lose all respect for this person.

Till now.

1. That Steve Guy

Re: Zuck is an Eminem fan?

Well that finally explains the hoodie!

9. Anonymous Coward 15

So won't the real Slim Shady

please stand up?

10. Maharg
    Stop

One thing about music when it hits you feel no pain…

I love the attitude of posters here towards Eminem and rap music in general, “I don’t get it therefore it sounds crap, and not only that it’s got swearing in it and is morally wrong and bad, harrumph harrumph”.

My father thinks the same, although he is able to admit that his father said the same about David Bowie, and I’m sure his father said the same about Elvis, and his father about ‘Glen Miller and this new fangled Jazz music’.

While not being a big fine of M&M, in both rap and edible form, there is no denying he had a couple of really good albums and is talented, yes he is one of the artists that is shocking but so was Black Sabbath, and judging hip-hop by a few crap artists that people have heard of because of the outrage in the Daily Mail, means you miss out of a lot of good music, judging Rap music on the likes of Lil Wayne and 50 Cent is like judging Rock music on McFly and Daphne and Celeste’s cover of Schools out for Summer.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: One thing about music when it hits you feel no pain…

I don't know, I have nothing against rap or those who like it, just stop calling it music, that's all :-)

2. Kevin 6

“I don’t get it therefore it sounds crap, and not only that it’s got swearing in it and is morally wrong and bad, harrumph harrumph”.

Its not that all of us don't get it. I actually have an extremely varied music collection with stuff from almost all genres from various countries, but its just IMO most* Rap is complete and utter rubbish. Will say though the rappers do have some good background vocals mixed in, and thanks to Eminem and his one uhh... song(?) which the name escapes me I found out about Dido ;)

As for the swearing I have nothing against that just when 95% of the words that are able to be understood in the vast majority of them are fuck, bitch, or whore I stop calling them lyrics(which seems like the vast majority of raps) as I could take someone with Tourette's syndrome throw in some BGM and call them a rapper.

*note I said most not all as I've heard a few ok ones

1. MrDamage Silver badge
        Go

"...as I could take someone with Tourette's syndrome..."

http://www.touretteskaraoke.com/

2. Maharg

I think the problem is lack of exposure to decent examples, and I’m not having a go at you, it’s very common, being a fan of hip hop don’t like the ‘bitch whore mutha-hubbard’ side of things, most of the time its completely unneeded, but that’s not a Rap/hip hop issue, that’s a music in general issue, a lot of ‘pop’ music has swearing in it, for no reason at all.

A quick compare of the song that introduced me to decent Hip Hop back in the 90s

This is from a group called Pharcyde – passing me by

“Now there she goes again, the dopest Ethiopian

And now the world around me keeps moving in slow motion

when-ever she happens to walk by - why does the apple of my eye

overlook and disregard my feelings no matter how much I try?

Wait, no, I did not really pursue my little princess with persistence;

And I was so low-key that she was unaware of my existence”

Let’s compare that to the lyrics of the biggest (non Korean) pop song in the last few years

And I was like baby, baby, baby, oh

Like baby, baby, baby, no

Like baby, baby, baby, oh

I thought you'd always be mine, mine

Baby, baby, baby, oh

Like baby, baby, baby, no

Like baby, baby, baby, oh

Judging Rap music by the mainstream crap is like judging the beetles by

“I am the egg man, I am the Egg man, I am the Walrus, oh co ca choo”

3. TheDillinquent
      Alert

<quote>"My father thinks the same, although he is able to admit that his father said the same about David Bowie, and I’m sure his father said the same about Elvis, and his father about ‘Glen Miller and this new fangled Jazz music’."</quote>

But sometimes man it just seems,

Everybody only wants to discuss me

So this means I'm disgusting,

But its just me I'm just obscene

Though I'm not the first king of controversy

I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley

© Emimem

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

“I don’t get it therefore it sounds crap, and not only that it’s got swearing in it and is morally wrong and bad, harrumph harrumph"

I was a massive fan of rap and the original hip-hop revolution in the eary 80's, Eminem was nothing til Dre started producing his work and he hasn't done anything that artists like NWA had already covered 10 years earlier. His entire career has rested on the fact he is an angry little white man and that somehow made it aceeptable for disaffected, angry young white people to start wearing baggy jeans around their arses and shouting about "Fuk da police" as if it actually meant anything to them at all. He's basically an edgier version of Vanilla Ice with half the talent and none of the charisma, and vanilla Ice was a bell end. The fact that people who understand and enjoy music recognise that has nothing to do with being stuffy or not being able to appreciate music outside their perceived genre limits, it's just recognising a shouty little bell end who has traded on other's music and a generation of disaffected tossers who really DON'T know the difference.

1. Maharg
        Happy

Totally agree, on a good note (and just for bragging rights) I will be seeing both Nas and Public Enemy this summer, now that’s what I call hip hop

11. Mitoo Bobsworth
    WTF?

Pot, Kettle.

I have to bite here, considering that Eminem like so many of his contemporaries, made their mark (& money) on the back of other artists work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pot, Kettle.

True, great artists steal (I'm not calling Eminem great), but they do pay their royalties and license fees. Also, they do stick together pretty strongly, when one musician goes bad, you usually hear about it because then all of them bark about it.

However, if I had to choose the winner of a lawsuit between Eminem or however Vs. Facebook, let me just say we won't be "Friends" anytime soon.

12. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

You do sound like crochety old men...

Sorry but you do sound like a bunch of crochety old men, except instead of complaining about rock and roll and jazz 60 years ago, you complain about rap (except Maharg.)

Anyway, I don't know how much Facebook may or may not owe, but releasing an ad, then once most people who were going to watch it already have, switching out the music, is not going to help their liability a whole hell of a lot. I guess it makes it easier to comply with an order to stop using it though for sure 8-).

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook being sued?

Music to my ears.

14. Great Bu

This can only be resolved

By an epic in court rap battle between Eminem and Zuckerberg.

15. Jon Double Nice

Don't policemen look young nowadays

In other news, has anybody noticed Professor Green's accent has changed a little bit seeing as he comes from Hackney and all that.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like