back to article Aurora attack tried to pinch secret list of Chinese spies

The Chinese hackers involved in the Operation Aurora attacks revealed by Google in 2010 may have accessed top secret information on US surveillance targets in the country including suspected foreign spies and terrorists, it has emerged. Speaking anonymously to the Washington Post, “US officials” familiar with the infamous data …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

US Intelligence Fail?

If I've read the article right, the list was created by Google and stored on their servers in such a way that it was accessible to the Chinese.

Isn't that a Google Fail, then?

2. Richard Jones 1
    Happy

Salt the Mine

If the Chinese are so keen to sniff round why does no one resort to 'salting various mine shafts' to give them something interesting to read and keep them off the streets? To make it interesting mix real names and false addresses and false names and real addresses. Data could come from any public data source, e.g phone books, diplomatic lists, etc. with the details slightly re-arranged. An electronic version of The Man Who Never Was.

1. oolor
      Mushroom

Re: Salt the Mine

Because the US has never 'let' foreign countries steal the wrong info before (Farewell Dossier). Considering that the Air Force has the ability to track most data flows, my bet is that most cyber theft of big project info has been compromised. Smells like round 2. And even if it isn't, let them sort through it, you usually learn more during development from mistakes you made along the way.

< aw, did we give you the wrong code for controlled fusion, our bad

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Speaking anonymously to the Washington Post, “US officials” familiar with the infamous data breach said...

The Walrus and the Carpenter were walking hand in hand

'If only,' Said the Walrus, 'The law would understand.'

'Curiouser and curiouser,' said Alice.

The Sexual Offences Act 1967 decriminalised homosexual acts in private between two men

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet another demo ..

.. on why mass surveillance and backdoor access for "fighting terrorism" is such a bad idea. The moment the bad guys can access (and that is a statistic given IMHO) you basically have no defences left. Duh.

Idiots.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Google Apps for spies ©

What spy in his-or-her right mind uses Google for communication? I suspect all these Cyberscare stories are to prime us for yet even more surveillance - on us. The problem with the Internet is pretend democratic governments can no longer control the msg. As previously only the rich-and-connected could afford a newspaper or television network. Now anyone-and-his-dog can broadcast the msg. A most dangerous thing. Best demonize the populace and discredit activists ...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Google is NOT your friend!"

California bumper sticker says it all!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like