back to article Supreme Court sides with FCC in NIMBY wireless tower spat

The US Supreme Court has sided with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) that local governments must act within a "reasonable period" – as defined by the FCC – to approve or deny requests by telcos to build new wireless towers. The ruling upholds an earlier decision by the Federal Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Los Angeles calling the towers 'ugly'

Well if that not the pot calling the kettle black...

But onto my point, I have seen a lot of them that just look like extra-thick flag poles and used as such. So strap a gigantic American flag on it and if anyone complains, say that they "Hate America" and are "sum kina terrist er sumtin". That argument got us 4 extra years of Bush and the Patriot act, surely it will work again in Texas...

2. Don Jefe
    Alert

The Texas Way

They are doing it wrong and some Texans should be fired for acknowledging the U.S. Federal Court System exists. They don't acknowledge evolution, world or U.S. history, any religion that doesn't worship a Jewish zombie carpenter and common sense in patent litigation. They should just ignore the towers too.

Alternatively we could move the Magic Anti-Mexican Wall North a few hundred miles and just shut them off. They'd probably be very happy with that anyway.

1. Euripides Pants
      Unhappy

Re: The Texas Way

Noooo, don't move the wall north! How will the rest of us visit the Cadillac Ranch?!

3. foxyshadis

But they blend right in with Los Angeles' and San Antonio's oil rigs! Geez, what a waste of time and money.

Figures that Alito, Kennedy, and Roberts would dissent, since they'd be fine with dismantling the FCC entirely (all for entirely different reasons), but I'm surprised Thomas affirmed given his absolute hostility to the non-military Federal government.

4. Wade Burchette

Reminds me of a story

I read a story a long time ago, and I wish I could find the link again, about a certain neighborhood protesting a new tower by AT&T. The locals claimed that ever since the tower went up they have been getting headaches. The local news got wind of the story and investigated. What the news found out was the tower didn't have any power to it so it wasn't even operational.

It is quite common for people to read about a disease or condition and suddenly they come down with that condition. I know someone like that who, after reading a medical journal, will sometimes suddenly have the disease described in the journal. People think cellular towers can causes headaches, and suddenly their mind convinces them that they have more headaches or they notice their headaches more.

5. Death Boffin
    Thumb Up

Interesting court split

It is interesting that Justice Thomas did not join Justice Alito on this decision. Usually the decide the same way. I do like the decision as it helps with the PRB-1 ruling for ham radio towers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like