back to article El Reg drills in Office 365: See the evidence

This week, Trevor Pott kicked off his exploration of Office 365 with this overview. Trevor and his team-mate Josh Folland have also produced four hands-on videos for Office 365. We will broadcast these over the next week or so – all free, all on demand. Here is the first, an Office 365 tutorial. Watch Video ®

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like this series- Good stuff Trevor! Smart journalism & tutorials-- more please Mr Reg!

#1. Is there a Tool that can test thousands of spreadsheets and log which ones will open successfully in all the different versions of O365? Its a question I get asked, and its a nightmare to have to deal with on a one to one basis... i.e. What if a file has macros? I'd like to see examples of opening the same Excel Spreadsheet in all the different versions, especially over the net versus o2013 locally. I want to understand how the user experience varies for formatting / update-links connectivity / VBA support? Then, explore the differences for all the BYOD options available too with the same spreadsheet...?

#2. I don't associate the Reg with doing this type of visual demo, is this a new idea? I'd love to see more alternatives than YouTube. Looking for quality IT content on there is a hit & miss adventure, because the search system is shaky! For example number of hits or popularity rating is no indicator of QUALITY, and the RELEVANCE of YouTube results is often piss poor if you're not just wanting a 'Psy' video! There needs to be quality tags and relevance tags hard-wired into the YouTube search system that work. Little time now to dive into your series but I hope it will be in a series of future easy links for later viewing on a rainy day. Thanks Trevor and co!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Like this series- Good stuff Trevor! Smart journalism & tutorials-- more please Mr Reg!

This is a test for us. Video is expensive - and our readers on the whole prefer to read than watch. But we think there is some mileage in down and dirty hands on / how tos. If the viewing figures bear us out, we will look to doing some more.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Hmm, visual demos..

To be honest, I am no fan of video instructions.

Unless the topic involves an actual physical event that is difficult to explain in photo & text (for instance, disassembly of something) I very much prefer the data in another format because video has a low information density and is not as random access as text.

I can probably flash-read the printed contents of what a 5 min video offers in under 10 seconds, so that's 4 minutes 50 secs saved, and I can home in on things that I may consider an issue - that's harder with video.

Having said that, I agree that it's a good thing to experiment with - just not for me :)

3. king of foo
    Coffee/keyboard

>Ming the merciless

...please stop using flash.

my phone (nexus 4) is flash-free and is my primary content consumption device. I think you'll find I'm not alone.

1. Steven Burn

Re: >Ming the merciless

Nope, you're not alone - have ActiveX, Java and Flash all disabled here too ;o)

For things like this, videos, especially on sites such as this, are pointless when text + screenshots will do the job.

As for videos being expensive - since when? CamStudio and the likes, and I'm sure there's likely open source alternatives (especially since all you really need is screen recorders, rather than full blown video recorders) available.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like