back to article Azure hops into Australia

Microsoft has announced "the planned expansion of a new Windows Azure major region for Australia" Details are scanty: Redmond is saying only that the "Windows Azure major region in Australia will consist of two sub-regions located in New South Wales and Victoria. These two locations will be geo-redundant, offering our …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ops4096

re nbn

As access to overseas clouds is limited by bandwidth surely this is another example of the National Broadband Network's business generating potential. A pity that the potential of these investments will be crippled if the coalition gets elected. Odds on that they will reprioritises the NBN to the never never because they view it as an impossibly expensive toy for pirates competing with their mates at Foxtel and FreeView.

2. chekri
    Black Helicopters

So if Microsoft is issued a demand for data in the USA, the fact that their infrastructure is hosted in Australia is going to make what difference?

And not picking on MS for this either, same question should be asked of Google, Amazon, Rackspace, etc

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think that if the data are hosted locally, they're covered by local laws and that the US law would have no jurisdiction. Furthermore, I would have thought that the local services would be run by a local subsidiary, to further remove jurisdiction from the hosting country of the parent company. The problem is where data are dynamically moved around the place and you don't actually know where it is.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Actually the US Patriot Act would still apply as Microsoft is a US based company. It doesn't matter where the data actually is. The Age newspaper today quotes a Microsoft Australia rep confirming this.

3. JohnnyRamrod

My money is on Digital Realty being the hoster in Melbourne. They are building in Melbourne. Given how slow it's going, it'd be about right for Msft I reckon. In Sydney they'd probably do the same, but there are more options there. Equinix, Global Switch. More than one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like