back to article Gay marriage? We'll put a stop to that 'human bug', says Nintendo

A bug that permitted same-sex marriage in a Nintendo game was a mistake by the developer rather than a victory for equality, we're told. Gamers playing Tomodachi Collection: New Life - the latest version of The Sims-like role-playing game for the 3DS handheld - noticed they had the option of allowing male characters to marry …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Crisp

Love is not a malfunction!

Why can't they leave software in loving, respectful relationships alone?

1. Simon Harris
      Happy

Re: Love is not a malfunction!

Software has been demonstrating 'unconventional' family arrangements for years...

After all, in John Conway's Life it took three parents of indeterminate sex to make a baby!

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge
        Joke

Re: Love is not a malfunction!

You know what else is shocking? "Animal Crossing". Explanation not required, I'm sure.

2. Andrew Jones 2

Hmmm Nintendo seem determined to generate as much bad press for themselves as they possibly can at the moment.....

3. Alister

There seems to be some scope for misleading young players, here, if the same-sex marriage is only allowed between male genders, how do they go on to raise children, or is there also an adoption policy in place in the game?

4. Velv
    Mushroom

!Sex

Why do they need to have a gender in the first place? And why does there need to be two genders?

Is this thing meant to be a direct reflection of the real world, or an imaginary mystical land where our oppressive human rules don't apply?

1. Hieronymus Howerd

Re: !Sex

The fact that some people are male and some female is an "oppressive human rule"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Human? Human? I'll have you know that I'm actually a very complex shell script. We might not have genders, nor bodies, nor always-working UTF-16 support, but code is people, too!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I seem to remember being given that Archimedes program by a friend... exclamation marks meant something different in those days...

5. Cameron Colley
    FAIL

<sigh> Which century are we in?

So, the "fix" for not allowing two female characters to marry is to go back to preventing same-sex marriage completely. A slow-clap for the "enlightened" Nintendo.

6. John G Imrie

Same Sex Marrage

I guess Nintendo want to be able to sell to the Tory Party.

1. FartingHippo
      Devil

Re: Same Sex Marrage

Really? Whenever there's a gay scandal*, odds on it's a Tory MP.

*Why being gay is viewed as a 'scandal' in this day and age is a whole other topic.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It is only a scandal because it is a Tory (who thinks it would be a scandal)

Otherwise nobody would care

2. John Colman
      Flame

The same Tory party who have been pushing for equal rights and leader who vocally supports gay marriage? Go back to the Daily Mail, sir.

1. Dakuan
        Trollface

Leader of the Tory Parliamentary Party !== Tory Party

2. Don Dumb
        Facepalm

@John Colman

"The same Tory party who have been pushing for equal rights and leader who vocally supports gay marriage? Go back to the Daily Mail, sir."

Errr, you seem so out of touch, I would imagine you are the one getting your information from the Daily Mail. Cameron supports gay marriage, however I'm not sure the 'Tory party' are entirely with him on this -

"A "crisis" over same-sex marriage...is threatening to destroy the Tory party, activists say.

In a letter delivered to Downing Street, 34 past and present local Conservative Party chairmen urged the PM to drop the same-sex marriage bill."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22585093

1. Greg J Preece

In a letter delivered to Downing Street, 34 past and present local Conservative Party chairmen urged the PM to drop the same-sex marriage bill."

So...no MPs then? And "past and present" implies that a number of these people have retired, and aren't even active in politics.

1. Don Dumb

"In a letter delivered to Downing Street, 34 past and present local Conservative Party chairmen urged the PM to drop the same-sex marriage bill."

One can assume they are very active in politics if they are writing to the Prime Minister, no?

Fair point though. Equal rights is often an area where those that are the loudest are not in the majority, however the news this weekend did feature heavily the gay marriage 'destroying the Tories' story. Also, if several past chairman implies and removal from direct politics, then how about a very senior cabinet minister? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22564023

"[Defence Secretary] Mr Hammond, has been open about his opposition to same-sex marriage"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Isn't "Same Sex" and "Marriage" a tautology anyway..?

1. Greg J Preece
        Pint

I see what you did there, and you can have an upvote for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Paris Hilton

Re: I see what you did there

At least someone did. But it seems at least three other readers need to go away and look up the difference between a 'tautology' and an 'oxymoron'...

7. Someone Else Silver badge
    WTF?

There's this church in Kansas...

[...] it has told punters that the same-sex marriage was a bug

Now, where have I head that before...?

(Damn...lost my medallion again. This having to work is really cutting into my forum posting time!)

8. Aoyagi Aichou
    Childcatcher

Only best intentions

Nintendo surely means only the best for its customers, just like they said in response to the critique on their new "let's play" videos policy. In this case, they (unlike most*) take away the burden and disappointment of marriage from L/G couples. Isn't that just wonderful?

Helpmann because he wouldn't find any if it wasn't for Nintendo's regime.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very informative

Thank you for the helpful link that you posted in the article ( http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/ec6j/update/index.html )

:)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Because some of us actually have friends that want to get married but can't because...

...everyone is gay. Oh sorry I was peering into a possible future: only one straight human left. All are generated in incubators to be gay and happy and free with iGoogle! Would make a cool action movie me thinks...

11. k9gardner

Liberate!

Rather than changing or inserting code bits, best bet might be to simply not buy or download the Nintendo software until they open it up to same-sex women couples as well. Have at you!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like