back to article Google platform cloud now takes PHP apps

Google is adding PHP to Google App Engine as the company tries to appeal to developers of the widely-used language. The addition was announced on Wednesday at Google's developer jamboree Google I/O. It means GAE now supports three widely used web languages – Python, Java, and PHP – and Go, a Google-sponsored language designed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. toadwarrior

Seriously, PHP?

Are they that deseperate to appeal to people that they're going to add what is perhaps the most broken language to app engine? If you can't grasp python then you shouldn't be writing code.

1. Greg J Preece

Re: Seriously, PHP?

Ah, yes, Python. That infuriating language they taught me in University, where I had to import a module just to get proper error messages. Web development in it was so joyful, and yet when I left Uni, it was my PHP knowledge that actually got me a job.

Funny, that.

2. localzuk Silver badge

What happened to "the customer is always right"?

Your customers want to use PHP? You support PHP. You may think of it as the VB of the net but it does what everyone wants quickly and easily.

3. Nick Ryan Silver badge
      Stop

Hmmm... So because you don't like PHP and/or can't write neatly in it then nobody should?

Not that PHP doesn't feature a lot of stupid, especially in the various attempts at classes and objects, but like any flexible language you can choose to hang yourself with your code or write code neatly.

Bring on the idiotic holy language wars...

Maybe it should be: If you can't grasp assembly then you shouldn't be writing code...

2. dognolegs
    Thumb Up

PHP, it's dynamite

Excellent, does this include MySQL for a database. Hopefully Google will tune these babies superfast, maybe we'll even see node.js there one day, the more the merrier.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: PHP, it's dynamite

@dognolegs Yes, Google provide Cloud SQL which is essentially a MySQL database. That said, I would encourage you to look at Datastore if you want performance.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too late

So Google thought themselves too good for lowly PHP (in nerd circles) until everyone and their dog is supporting it. No thanks, stick it up your rear end. I'll make do with the thousands of smaller hosts that have been supporting it for over a decade and not treating it like a third class citizen.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and the problem with php is

nothing - it just another language with pros and cons.

but one with years of on the web testing, some decent MVC frameworks now to tackle the basics and a resource rich pool when you need to get business stuff actually done.

I am looking forward to seeing what google will offer on the db front.

1. oolor
      Devil

Re: and the problem with php is

Same here. I have my issues with php, but I absolutely hate python. Then again, I like JavaScript, but hate 99.9999% of people who try and write it (professionally that is, hobbyists get a free pass).

5. clean_state
    Go

the database is cloud SQL

The database is cloud SQL which is a managed version of MySQL that Google maintains, patches and replicates for you.

If you prefer the NoSQL camp, Google has also wrapped their datastore as an independent product called cloud datastore so you can call it from PHP on App Engine too.

6. localzuk Silver badge
    Thumb Up

About time.

Perfect for startups trying to get their software online but don't want to have to splash out for expensive hosting which may sit unused and burning electricity for months before it starts getting used by their software and customers.

People knock PHP a lot, but I fear that is often simply down to arrogance. PHP allows a lot of people to rapidly get software written and published. Sure, Python is a nice language, but there are more PHP developers out there than Python.

Good job Google.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like