back to article Icahn, SAM to give MickeyD the boot if they take over Dell

Michael Dell wants to take his company the company that bears his name private, but he might be polishing up his resume instead in a few months. Activist investor Carl Icahn and Southeastern Asset Management made it clear last Friday that they were not happy with the proposed $24.4bn takeover of Dell by the company's founder, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Wallyb132
    Thumb Down

Carl Ichan needs to just go away. He ruins every company he touches...

1. ItsNotMe
      Mushroom

"Carl Ichan needs to just go away."

Yes he does.

He is a scumbag of the highest order. Do the world a favor Carl. DIE...please...just DIE.

2. Tom 35

Please stop

Calling them "Activist investor", they don't invest in anything.

1. Daniel B.
        Flame

Re: Please stop

I know El Reg doesn't want to call him Vulture Investor, so I propose another term:

Scrapyard Investor.

As in, they take your company to the scrapyard and sell it all for scrap value, even if the company's good. Someone should lock Icahn inside a room full of former TWA employees...

1. Euripides Pants
          Pirate

Re: Please stop

How about plain, old Pirate?

2. Chris Miller

If Michael Dell loses control of the eponymous company, he'll be able to cash in his shares for something like $10-20 billion. So I doubt he'll be visiting his local job center in the near future.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"In 1997, shortly after Mr. Jobs returned to Apple, the company he helped start in 1976, Dell's founder and chairman, Michael S. Dell, was asked at a technology conference what might be done to fix Apple, then deeply troubled financially.

"What would I do?" Mr. Dell said to an audience of several thousand information technology managers. "I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders."

Well....Mikey....looks like you will have the chance to do that now for your own company....pity you won't be there to see it happen.

Ironic.

4. BornToWin

I don't like Michael Dull

...by Icahn is being a bully and arse. I hope he is not successful in changing the board or getting his way with Dull.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't like Michael Dull

"getting his way with Dull." Not much Dull here, More sympathy for Dell than for Icahn here, but suppose I had some share in the company, would I side with Dell or Ichan. Perhaps if I had some share in the company this would become less dull to consider.

5. Wanda Lust

Yes, dull, dull

Only 8 comments, that's how Dull this whole business about Dull is.

If the article was about a revolutionary user interface or the latest tweak of a fondling thing we'd be at 88 comments in no time at all.

FWIW, I think Mr Dell should be let get on with his plan (I believe he thinks he can do a Jobsian job on Dell but then he hasn't got the balls to do it while facing 'The Street' every 12 weeks).

iCan simply sees an opportunity to make money, isn't that the American way?

6. tempemeaty

One more PC maker for the pile of dead ones?

Mr Dell managed to keep the company from being killed by the supply chain issues with bad components many years ago. That was amazing, it should have killed the company. Things keep conspiring against Dell but he keeps the company flying despite it all. I think Mr Dell has the right idea here too. Icahn would only scrap the company adding it to a growing list of gone X86 PC computer makers, it's almost as if there's a plan afoot to do just that sometimes. Of course nothing would be more pleasing to the Blue Bloods of the world to remove the power of the PC from all us useless eaters hands, it seems we keep using them to stay ahead of their disinformation media these days.

7. cortland

How the sharks feed

For a candid look at how Icahn et similis work, read Dan Raviv's 2004 book "Comic Wars" over the fight to control Marvel Comics and the Spider Man(tm) trademark.

excerpt from the Library Journal editorial review:

The major story is of the battle for control waged by Ronald Perelman, who bought Marvel in the late 1980s, and Carl Icahn, who began buying Marvel bonds in an effort to take over the company. Ironically, neither Perelman nor Ichan was ever interested in comics (both bragged that they never looked at the product); rather, they were obsessed with profit and personal vendetta. A parallel story deals with Ike Perlmutter and Avi Arad, two entrepreneurs with Toy Biz who had a significant interest in Marvel, its characters, and further sustaining the enterprise over the long term. While the era and the situations differ, Comic Wars is in the vein of The White Sharks of Wall Street.

It's worth noting that Marvel had had to enter bankruptcy during this tussle; when the Bankruptcy Judge was asked to protect holders of one Marvel bond issue, his acid rejoinder on the consequences of buying bonds whose offer said they were not going to be repaid was a real classic. I'd quote it if I could find my copy of the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Comic-Wars-Marvels-Battle-Survival/dp/0785116060

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like