back to article What's big, rich and goes down on you in every department? BT

BT admitted this morning that fiscal 2013 was a year of declining sales across every division, although profits were given a slight uplift due to cost cutting. The national telco told City slickers it closed its fourth quarter, ended 31 March 2013, on a low: revenue dipped two per cent on the same period a year ago to £4.78bn …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon Pryra

Easy answer?

Get a real customer services department.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Easy answer?

Easy, but wrong.

Forward thinking design and product development teams not obsessed with copper preservation would be a good start in search of the real answer (which is not easy either).

1. feanor

I think you'll find its the accountants and the execs who gets obscene bonuses who are driving the policy of running the old copper network into the ground. R&D have done a fine job of producing a product, the rest of the company just refuses to make it available because that would hit short term profits. Best to eke every last ounce of profit out of the old crumbling system. Why not if you are a monopoly - the majority of the population has no choice but to use it?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If by 'hits short-term profits' you mean 'would be loss making' you're probably not far off. The issue then would be that as a company with significant market power in broadband, BT would be breaking the law if it did price products to sell at a loss. If you wanted to set up a fibre ISP, how would you feel if BT started selling broadband at a price that's below cost?

That leaves the option of rolling out fibre broadband nationally at a price that no-one wants to pay

I don't have an MBA but I don't think that's a great strategy.

2. robert_raw

Probably the worst company in the world to deal with based on my experience.

1. jason 7

Close but I'd say Adobe.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I totally agree dealing with them on a personal and professional capacity. But the good news is they treat their enterprise customers with the same distaste as their public.

4. Anonymous Coward 101

BT...

...a large underfunded pension fund, with a loss making sideline in telecommunications.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BT...

I'm pretty sure BT is profitable.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shares up a whopping 12% on the day...

... so I guess others have interpreted those results rather differently.

6. Tezfair
    FAIL

Oh great...

....another price increase coming shortly

7. RonWheeler
    Windows

One day..

they'll turn up at the right site at the right time with the right equipment. One day...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One day..

Close, They'll turn up with the right equipment, and at the right site with a right big bill for jobs they've part done.

8. Zmodem

the receptionist

This topic is closed for new posts.