back to article Lego fan constructs Bletchley Park Colossus

It's a tip of the hat today to Lego fan James Pegrum, who's created a splendid miniature representation of Bletchley Park's famous Colossus Mark 2: James Pegrum's Lego Colossus. Pic: James Pegrum James Pegrum's not-so-colossal Colossus Mark 2 Working from an original photo of the Colossus, Adult Friend Of Lego (AFOL) James …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a true representation of Bletchley Park

I cannot believe that only one person would have a cup of tea in their hands.

1. NomNomNom

Re: Not a true representation of Bletchley Park

it is a very big cup of tea though

1. Simon Harris

Re: Not a true representation of Bletchley Park

It's not chained to the radiator though.

2. FartingHippo
    Pint

Good work that man

Have a pint.

3. i like crisps

Whats Next?

Ans: LEGO Anne Franks Attic!

1. Annihilator
      Coat

Re: Whats Next?

Listening to Justin Bieber on her wireless...

1. Sporkinum

Re: Whats Next?

I don't belieb you.

4. RichD

Disappointed

Was hoping for a working colossus replica in technical lego.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Disappointed

Technical lego, pah. Everybody knows if you want to do technical you use Meccano

5. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Up

Great work.

And great that you adhere to the "one shot" principle.

6. Simon Harris
    Thumb Up

I shall buy a hat...

... just so I can take it off to you, Sir!

Good work, James Pegrum

7. Don Jefe
    Happy

LEGO

Possibly more than my soldering iron, LEGO was my greatest tool as a child. I've been responsible for leading legions of settlers in the building of colonies on far away planets and in building super computers that could manufacture anything I wanted (as long as it was in a primary color and didn't have rounded corners). I also terrorized my parents with brightly colored caltrops which were left on the fields of epic battles and lost in the high grass (carpet). I tried Playmobil because at the time the people were better but the scale went to hell.

8. jai

stunning work!

top job that man!

9. ukgnome
    Coat

Wouldn't the heat from all those valves melt the bricks?

*the one with the EF36 in the pocket socket

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Happy

I'll see your EF36 and raise you one EF37A (for my valve amp of course)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I'll see your EF36 and raise you one EF37A (for my valve amp of course)"

Just a thought - when did the British start using valves with the letter combinations for filament voltage/current (D, E, O, P, U) - followed by function (B, C, F, K, L) ? Post-war English Electric Deuce probably had some ECCxx types for flip-fliops.

All my war surplus things were 807, 5Z4, 6V6, 6L6 etc Then later came the QV and QQV types.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Oops! the "O" was Mullard semiconductors. OA70 and OA71 being germanium diodes - with OC44, OC45, OC71, OC72, OC170, OC171 transistors. GET1xx were General Electric - and GM0290 was Fairchild?

2. Mage Silver badge

That scheme was European.

Mullard was Philips' secret entry to the UK valve Cartel in 1928. No-one really noticed till 1939. EF36 etc isn't a British nomenclature.

There was the Marconi numbering scheme. That was British.

Also till about 1942 Ever Ready had their own scheme which replaced Lissen's in 1930s. They were mostly relabelled Mullard valves.

Some UK makers used the US scheme.

see Radiomuseum and National Valve Museum

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Radio Museum

Thanks for that link. Nostalgic pictures of the beautifully engineered BC348 receiver that were affordable as was surplus. Heard Voice of America announce the breaking news of JFK's assassination on one of those - minutes before the BBC newsflashes.

3. Michael Dunn
          Happy

"I'll see your EF36 and raise you one EF37A (for my valve amp of course)"

Post-war English Electric Deuce probably had some ECCxx types for flip-fliops.

In my case 6SN7GT's! Homage to Messrs Eccles and Jordan!

10. Avatar of They
    Thumb Up

Challenge

Come on Reg. Now we know what can be done, how can your playmobil ever compete?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Impressive.

Although does anyone else think that The Death of Nelson recreation looks a bit like someone's collapsed at a rave?

1. NightFox

Re: Impressive.

Dodgy "ship's biscuits"?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AFOL

AFOL usually stands for Adult Fan of Lego, not Adult Friend of Lego. But, I guess both could work.

- an anonymous AFOL.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: AFOL

Fair enough. Probably my mistake there.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm OK, I can be an AFOL through my son. If I had the money, I'd buy us - I mean him - the Lego Death Star.

And that's the one with minifigs not the half complete second Death Star.

1. Peter Masterton

My fiance brought me that for Christmas. I'm 32 :-)

13. charlie-charlie-tango-alpha

Relativity in lego

Very nice. But I think Andrew Lipson beats him. See http://www.andrewlipson.com/escher/relativity.html for example.

1. Michael Dunn
      Pint

Re: Relativity in lego @CCTA

I'd better stop looking at this before I get onto the beer!

14. MajorTom

Love it

Where can I get an Alan Turing minifigure?

15. All names Taken
    Joke

In the national interest it should be returned to BLMRA (British Leather Manufacturers Research Association) to get the industry moving and productive again rather than turn a state resource into another museum to non-existing UK enterprise appreciated by its shadow from a previous era (or of a previous error?).

16. Richard Altmann

Blighty

Sorry guys,

get over it. If would not have been for a recovered code book of a sunk U-Boot and the excellent work of some polish mathematicians Mr. Turing and the Bombe wouldn´t have gone anywhere.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Blighty

Sorry Dick,

Nothing to get over.

Bombe was a machine for cracking Enigma, And yes it was a developed from work by Marian Rejewski, hence the name being derived from the Polish: "bomba kryptologiczna" The Polish Memorial at Bletchley specifically acknowledges this.

The Colossus however was for breaking the Lorenz Cypher. Nothing to do with u-boats or the Polish.

Perhaps a bit of reading on Max Newman, Ralph Tester, John Tiltman, Bill Tutte and Tommy Flowers would not go a-miss, Blighty is proud of all these men.

17. Richard Altmann
    Thumb Down

LEGO vs. Playmobile

Playmobile created a shisma. Good old LEGO had to come up with an anwser and came out with kits and building plans. Before that it was bags of blocks in different shapes and colours. I remember that X-Mas when grandpa presented me with a LEGO kit of a scandinavian ferry of about 400 bricks. The neighbours boy received the Playmobile "Pirate Ship". Nothing to assemble, just there. We used the LEGO bricks to build a landing site for the pirate ship. Playmobile killed off a lot of creative challenge by providing a ready to use toy. Hence the lack of engineer students today. LEGO and Fischer Technik where the toys (tools) of the time. Playmobile killed it. Just unwrap it and play.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: LEGO vs. Playmobile

Or the Cute version of Playmobile, Sylvanian Families. I like Lego, but Sylvanian Families is the Ultimate "Dolls House" toy to recreate "Tails of the Riverbank" without live animals? ;-)

This topic is closed for new posts.