back to article Thongs of praise: Slip on Japan's skimpy mobe knickers

The Japanese adult male is widely considered to be utterly obsessed with young women’s small clothing. While we’d rather not pander to this particular stereotype, we have to admit the Land of the Rising Sun doesn’t do itself any favours. Well, not with products like these coming out of it. Exhibit A is a set of “panties for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ketlan
    WTF?

Oh, God...

Would somebody kill me now, please...

2. Khaptain Silver badge
    Gimp

Put your tongues away please

This is just soooooo wrong in so many ways.....

3. Richard 81

Oh Japan, you are a strange place.

...and this isn't even the half of it.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

As far as Japan goes, this is positively banal.

2. Fibbles
      Thumb Up

Considering that our cultures are seeming to become more and more homogenised, I for one am glad that there are still places in the world that make me think 'WTF?'. Of course, I mean the 'WTF' of delighting in finding something new and absurd, not the 'WTF' of despair generated by humanity's unending quest to find new and inventively brutal ways of being absolute bellends to one another.

What I'm saying is; Japan, shine on you crazy diamond.

4. Phil W

What's larger?

"up to Samsung Galaxy Note in size - the largest smartphones might have trouble though"

What smart phone is there that is larger than the Note? As a Note II owner I struggle to think how one would handle anything larger.

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: What's larger?

Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3"

Huawei Ascend Mate 6.1"

1. Phil W

Hadn't heard of those 2, they are ridiculous, especially the Mega.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Mega is "ridiculous", but not the Note?

Hadn't heard of those 2, they are ridiculous, especially the Mega.

The idea that anyone who owns a Note feels they can call slightly larger phones "ridiculous" seems pretty hypocritical. I think the Note is ridiculous, but you'd probably tell me "you wouldn't say that if you owned one" or somesuch. Maybe you'd get used to the Mega after using it for a bit.

I continue to find it amusing how phones keep getting bigger, while tablets keep getting smaller. This tells me there's a certain class of buyer who don't want to own both a tablet and a smartphone, but have one device that covers both uses. For that, even the Mega's 6.3" display isn't as large as it could be if you want to maximize its usefulness as a tablet. So don't be surprised if there isn't an even larger Mega II offered down the road.

2. Why Not?
      Paris Hilton

As the Actress said to the Bishop - fnarr, fnarrr!

You have to hand it to the Japanese they are just obsessed with creating products that satisfy customers in every way!

Paris as I doubt she wears a pair

5. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Don't see the problem ...

I really don't see the problem with this; if people want to add a bit of colour to their phone, why not? It's a bit of harmless fun.

6. jake Silver badge

Uh ... didn't ElReg report on this a few weeks ago?

Just asking.

Daft concept, regardless ... I mean, honestly, "I'm speaking to you through the crotch of my telephone's panties, so sorry if it's a bit muffled" ...

1. wim

Re: Uh ... didn't ElReg report on this a few weeks ago?

they where another set of pants. larger if I recollect, mainly to cover up the button on the Iphone.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missed marketing angle

Ah, now Apple fanbois can buy lingerie for their girlfriends, aka iPhone for the slower ones among you of which the number seems to be growing. It'll be about the only time they get to pull on any gusset apart from their own.

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Happy

Re: Missed marketing angle

Secondary market:

Can you purchase previously used ones from a vending machine?

2. Trev 2
      Alert

Its only time before these get an USB connector of their own (assuming thats what's on the bottom of an iphone), and an app which makes Siri say naughty things to naughty Apple fanbois geeks everytime "she" dons a new outfit.

We're doomed...!

3. Darryl

Make edible ones for those romantic evenings too

8. Elmer Phud

Hmm . . .

. . . it's all just pants!

9. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Happy

Where's the bra? I need one for my mobes.

Otherwise those phones are topless! And that's disgusting!

Not to mention that the phones are under 2 years old. I can see the headline in the Daily Mail now: El Reg in Paedo-Phone-Shocker!

10. philbo
    Joke

No, it needs..

..a shirt and tie.

They are supposed to be *smart* phones, after all.

11. Tachikoma
    WTF?

"J Box wants $38.50 (£24.80) per pack"

Or wait a week and they will be available on fleabay for £2 delivered from HK.

12. David Kelly 2

Google Glass owners need not apply!

See how much better an iPhone than Google Glass? iPhone can wear panties!

13. Hardcastle the ancient
    Coat

I see what they did

It adds a whole new dimension to 'talking out of yer arse'

14. JeevesMkII
    Childcatcher

So now I have my smartphone panties, can I get a tentacle-themed USB cable to complete the set?

15. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Devil

Needs a slit for access to the port.

USB! What did you think I meant?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just for the sake of completeness, you understand...

The characters on the left phone are Mio Akiyama and Ritsu Tainaka from the Japanese manga and anime series K-On!, and the character on the right phone is Utsuho Reiuji from the Touhou Project game franchise. Mio and Ritsu are ordinary schoolgirls with a musical bent, and despite their somewhat sultry appearance in this piece of unofficial fan-art, their adventures are squeaky clean enough to grace Japan's Disney Channel. Utsuho, on the other hand, is a dark creature with huge raven's wings sprouting from her back, and whose job is to regulate the fires of Hell - perhaps this should be telling us something.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pron

I wonder how long until pantless ports get pixelated in Japan.

Since I've lowered the level of conversation - I may as well point out this bring a whole new meaning to ATM.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like