back to article Annular solar eclipse LIVE!

Today, folks living in remote parts of Australia's north and some Pacific islands will experience an annular eclipse, the type of eclipse just one grade below a total eclipse. That means the sun will just remain visible as the moon passes between it and Earth. The result will be a view of a “ring of fire” as Sol's hellish …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

When??

Simon! Give us a time-check please!

1. NomNomNom

Re: When??

its now

2. NomNomNom

well if i was down that way i would stay awake to watch this. But as it is i've already seen two solar eclipsi. What I really want to see is a lunar eclipse, the one that's the otherway round where the sun passes in front of the moon. not that i am obsessed with eclipsi.

1. Neoc

Erm...

Your definition of a lunar eclipse would have us fry: [Earth -- Sun -- Moon] is not a viable state (not for long anyway).

I assume you mean the normal definition for a lunar eclipse, which is [Sun -- Earth -- Moon], while a solar eclipse is [Sun -- Moon -- Earth].

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Alien

Re: Erm...

In addition to what Neoc said, a standard lunar eclipse is really boring to look at: it's a full moon which goes dark red (commonly called a "blood moon") because even though the moon is in Earth's shadow there is enough sunlight being scattered by Earth's atmosphere to provide some light to the moon.

What I would love to see would be an eclipse while standing on the moon, i.e. the earth passing in front of the sun. The earth would look like a black disk with a surrounding ring of red atmosphere. Now THAT would be cool (as if standing on the moon wouldn't be awesome enough).

1. tomban
          Joke

Re: while standing on the moon

That would mean you could get people to the moon, which we all know is impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oBG-f3c5EU

</sarcasm>

2. My Alter Ego

Re: Erm...

Erm, I think your sense of humour failed you.

2. My Alter Ego
      Facepalm

@NomNomNom

I can'y believe somebody modded you down.

1. C 18
        Headmaster

Re: @NomNomNom

But a mistake was made! It must be thumbed down!

In fact 'eclipsi' is bordering on bad taste too in fairness, but the Sun blocking the Moon... well people come here to learn... we must be wary of growing the stupid...

3. C 18
      Meh

It's not Zulu time around there

>well if i was down that way i would stay awake to watch this.

You are aware of the time difference...?

1. Annihilator
        Coat

Re: It's not Zulu time around there

"You are aware of the time difference...?"

I assume that was part of the joke. There are very few nocturnal solar eclipses...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Paris Hilton

Re: It's not Zulu time around there

There are very few nocturnal solar eclipses...

Rubbish! They happen all the time! Just last night I looked into the sky, and it was completely black. The sun had totally disappeared and the birds had gone silent...

4. Michael Dunn
      Headmaster

Stay awake? Solar eclipses actually take place in daylight hours, or are you nocturnal?

3. Steve Foster
  4. h 6
    Pint

They changes the song:

"The sun is a mass of incandescent gas"

Which is incorrect, so They Might be Giants changed it tp

"The sun is a miasma of plasma."

cheers -h

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like