back to article New 'BLOCKBUSTER' APPLE iTHING imminent - billionaire Einhorn

Billionaire investor David Einhorn has upped his shares of Apple through his Greenlight Capital Re reinsurer and is waiting for the fruity firm's "next blockbuster product". “Our thesis remains that Apple has a terrific operating platform,” he said on a conference call yesterday, reported by Bloomberg, Reuters and others. “Its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark Wilson

Am I just cynical?

So he buys Apple stock at a low value, says they have a major product launch coming up, then others buy the shares, value goes up, he cashes in.

1. Gordon Pryra

Re: Am I just cynical?

Nope, I think you put it pretty succinctly there.

Another clue is funny stuff he put in to show us he was joking.

“growing customer base" and "growing portfolio of Apple products”

1. g e

Plus do you reckon Apple gave him some shutup cash / info... this just reads like a U-Turn of greased-palm-politician proportion

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

“growing customer base" and "growing portfolio of Apple products”

Though you may wish otherwise, Apple still sells more iPhones every year than they did the previous year, so their share of the global mobile phone market is still growing. Their share is declining when measured against smartphones as a whole, but given how fast the low end of the smartphone market (the sub $100 phones mostly made in China) is growing, I'll bet the GS4 will also have a smaller share of the worldwide smartphone market as compared to GS3.

As for the "growing portfolio", yeah, other than the iPad Mini they have had pretty much the same products available since the iPad was introduced, with newer versions simply replacing older versions of the same product. That's really more of a complaint that stock analysts make, because they seem to think Apple has a magic bag they can pull another iPhone or iPad out of, and the fact they haven't had anything like that for three years indicates that Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs and thus we should all assume Apple will never have another blockbuster product, ever.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
      Big Brother

Am I just cynical? … So he buys Apple stock at a low value, says they have a major product launch coming up, then others buy the shares, value goes up, he cashes in. ….. Mark Wilson Posted Thursday 9th May 2013 07:17 GMT

To imagine and pontificate that it makes any difference whether anything goes up, down or sideways in any direction, just so long as the markets game continues and fiat currencies move to media players for news to present IT and shared words as realities, is to admit to self-delusion and show all that one is a fool to be easily fooled again and again and to lack the necessary intelligence to lead direction in novel fields with definite vision ….. ? …… ! …… ‽

And such is an enigmatic service which y'all are subjected to and have absolutely no control over …. other than stepping into line and assisting ITs leads.

What entity provides such a service for that which you follow as being real and true? And is the picture being painted for you to your liking?

If not, change internetworking services provider. To not do so automatically renders one just another fool who be easily fooled to be used as a tool.

It really is as simple as that with IT Command and Control of Creative CyberSpace, Computers and Communications.

And yes, that was very succinctly put, Mark Wilson. Bravo.

Thoughts for today, in a world of zeroday vulnerabilities to exploit and expand upon ........"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." …. Ayn Rand

"Whoever controls the media, controls the mind" …. Jim Morrison

Have a nice day, y'all.

3. Velv
      Childcatcher

Otherwise known as a Boiler Room Scam.

1. Tom 35

"Otherwise known as a Boiler Room Scam."

If your rich enough they call it an investment newsletter. They only real difference is they have enough push to do it with real stocks.

4. Rampant Spaniel

Isn't this dangerously close to those newspaper share club scams where the author writes an oped on how great a penny stock is the day after buying a load (and pushing up the price by doing so), then sells their holding to the readers?

Apples share price may go up and down like a pair of screwing marsupials or it may level off. I wouldn't go short on it personally, I think it probably will rise over time at a more sane rate now the jobs effect has dispersed. This guy just seems like he bought a load and is trying to talk the price up so he can sell as mentioned above.

5. Darryl

Wonder if he was involved in the 'same but opposite' scheme that has been playing out with Blackberry... Where analysts and investors go on and on about how Blackberry is days from bankruptcy in an effort to drive the share price down so that they can buy their short-sold shares at rock-bottom prices.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

Re: Am I just cynical? - Blackberry

But they are days from bankruptcy. Why, just a year ago Jonathan Geller said they would never get their products out and be gone in fourteen months, and this year he's saying they'll be dead in only five years.

Who was it wrote "In the stock market, nobody knows anything"?

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To be fair, a friend of mine works in a technical capacity related to products (let's not get more specific than that) at Apple, and has mentioned that after what he dubbed a few very lame years he's extremely excited for this year's launches. He said that I (someone who doesn't own a single iThing) might be onboard after what's coming down the pipeline this year. And that was around the new year.

It's possible Apple just took Einhorn around their R&D labs and he saw whatever product that is and got equally excited.

Anonymous and vague for obvious reasons. Apple refers even minor leaks straight to FBI.

2. Andrew_b65
    Thumb Up

New product?

They could release shit flavoured lollypops and all those Apple worshipers would be sucking them all day long Kojak-style, bragging on how great they taste.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: New product?

Well, they could release a good, useful or interesting product, that lots of people would buy to use it and the Apple haters would be complaining all day sheep-style, bragging on how anything else would be better because blah blah blah wah wah wah.

I've never seen anyone say "It's an Apple product so I will buy it no matter what" but I've seen lots of people say "It's an Apple product so I won't buy it no matter what".

FFS, people choose to buy stuff, Apple or otherwise. Are you one of those I-don't-want-it-so-nobody-can-have-one morons that call it "freedom of choice"?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ragarath

I've never seen anyone say "It's an Apple product so I will buy it no matter what"

I have, lots of them, you can't work in IT if you have never met one.

but I've seen lots of people say "It's an Apple product so I won't buy it no matter what".

Now I am one of these people and do not mind admitting it. I recommend Apple to the people it would benefit but long before OSX came around, MACs were the biggest pain in the arse. Hense they no longer get my custom due to being burned back in the day.

Incidentally, I do not stop my wife from buying Apple but she chooses to avoid them knowing how I feel about them. She has found, like so many, that the functionality and more than is offered by Apple is generally available elsewhere.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Ragarath: I don't understand. What was it about Media Access Control addresses that gave you trouble?

1. Ragarath
            Happy

@SimB,

Bah there is always one wrong icon BTW. I knew as soon as I posted I would get at least one but the editing here is well non-existent. Anyway you get a DV just for being a pedant ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
              Thumb Up

@Ragarath

Well earned I'd say!

1. Ragarath

And an up-vote for taking it on the chin!

3. Van

To upset your reasoning a bit, iphones are used as "must have" fashion accessories by many, there's no choice.

4. VinceH

"I've never seen anyone say "It's an Apple product so I will buy it no matter what""

I've never seen anyone say it, either - and for that matter, nor have I heard anyone write it - but I have seen plenty of people *doing* it.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Oninoshiko
        Meh

Well, they could release a good, useful or interesting product.

Please, tell us when they do.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Andrew: the 1990s called and they want their vitriol back...

3. Aldous
      Stop

Not any more even the die hard Apple fans are seeing that the new iWotsits are only small iterational improvements on the old models rather then " zomgs amazing best thing since slice bread ,revolutionize the synergy" type products.

Anecdotally when the iPhone 5 was released many of the people i work with who love all things fruity just went "meh" having previously taken their kidneys/first borns to get the 4S. Similar deal with iPad, yeah its got a nicer screen and a bit more power but why junk the older one? Not Apple bashing, the premium android mob are the same. So what if it has a faster CPU/GPU when most people play angry birds or use them for mobile media stations.

Hence the whole "Peak Apple" and the stock price sliding. its not like Apple have done anything particularly wrong to make the price slide it is just people are starting to see that the company is not as innovative recently as some have made out. Jobs dieing tied in with this swing so it will be viewed as Apple loosing their visionary and going on a downward slide but really its an overpriced stock adjusting to a more realistic level.

If they are doing an iWatch i will wager that will be a flop (in Apple terms) as who wants an electronic watch (there will always be a market for quality mechanical watches) when you have smartphone/fondleslab on you anyway. IPTV is a possibility but such a pain with content rights and they have tried that one before. unless they bring out the "next big thing" the stock will continue to slide despite the company turning over decent profits and having a cash war chest.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        WTF?

Or Alternatively

Not any more even the die hard Samsung fans are seeing that the new Nexuswhatsits are only small iterational improvements on the old models rather then " zomgs amazing best thing since slice bread ,revolutionize the synergy" type products.

There fixed it for you...

There is always two sides to every story.

Now to break the Eadon downvote count :)

1. Aldous
          Facepalm

Re: Or Alternatively

erm if you are going to quote you might want to read down a little bit further:

" Not Apple bashing, the premium android mob are the same. So what if it has a faster CPU/GPU when most people play angry birds or use them for mobile media stations."

There are indeed two sides to every story but this one was not Apple vs Android, It was that the innovation in the field is topping out. The difference between an iPhone 4s and 5 or a top of the line 2012 android vs 2013 model is nothing like the difference between the original iPhone/Android smartphones and the blackberrys/Nokia's everyone was using previously.

Fashion takes design skills but ultimately production can be scaled by adding a few more third worlders to sewing machines. This means it is no problem to throw out your old designs each year "That's so last year....". The smartphone companies are employing the same model except they have massive R&D and tooling cost's so it is going to end in tears. TV manufacturers have hit this one, why upgrade your HDTV for a few non important whizz bangs (3DTV in its current form, IPTV built in when most people have a console/set top box that can do it etc) when the old one is almost as good.

In Apples case this is already happening as the stock is sliding they are more exposed to this then the other players as they have a relatively small product line. Where as the likes of Samsung can continue for a bit longer as they have a wider range of products. It's not that Apple is not still selling plenty of product it is that the expectation of where they are heading has fallen.

4. Andrew_b65
      WTF?

@ downvoters

I posted with my username not AC. It's humour, you eejits. I can see the queues forming outside the stores already.

I knock about with plenty of wealthy types that fill up on any new Apple gear without even considering what they'll be doing with it, or if they even need it. The previous years' models are languishing in the kids toyboxes. They buy a new car every year and throw out more food every week than you eat in a month. Despite peak Apple claims, there is a massive army of buyers out there willing and able to jump on anything they put out.

3. Mako

"Sticky" customer base?

Are they covered in jam? Or maybe Applesauce?

1. nsld
      Coat

Re: "Sticky" customer base?

I suspect it's more down to a spot of Mary Chipperfield action than an issue with condiments. .....

1. Darryl

Re: "Sticky" customer base?

I think nsld has it right. The ones who would buy an Apple product no matter what (as above) getting all hot and bothered thinking of their iThing

4. Mystic Megabyte
    FAIL

Ask an expert...not

Billionaire investor David Einhorn probably could not recognise good taste if it hit him in the face.

Like most of the rich who think that diamond encrusted watches are tasteful. No, they are just hideous bling.

Don't get me started about gold plated taps (faucets)!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: Ask an expert...not @Mystic Megabyte

What's wrong with gold plated taps? Brass taps need an anti-corrosion plating, and the nickel that does the job causes allergic reactions in some people. So the nickel is plated in turn, either with chrome or gold. When the price of gold wasn't silly due to American fruitcakes hoarding it in their bunkers, there was a time when gold plating made quite good economic sense. It's a lot more environmentally friendly than chrome plating, too, easy to apply, low hazard, no nasty chromium trioxide, just a small amount of cyanide. But personally I prefer PVD.

No, I don't know what it has to do with Apple either. It's BlackBerries that have the PVD coating.

er...where was I?

5. Julian Smart
    WTF?

I will be drinking coffee later this year, and throughout next year.

"Apple chief Tim Cook said last month that the firm was upping its quarterly dividend by 15 per cent to $3.05 per share and was boosting its share repurchase programme. He also said that new products would be coming along later this year and throughout next year."

And then they're just going to stop making new products from 2015, obviously.

6. Shonko Kid
    Holmes

FFS!!

"He also said that new products would be coming along later this year and throughout next year"

He's hardly likely to say 'That's it, Apple's product portfolio is complete. Expect nothing more from us ever again. Thanks. Bye.' now is he?

7. Select * From Handle
    Joke

Maybe they are relaunching Pippin...

What never heard of it? hahaha yeah i didn't know that existed till last week...

1. jubtastic1

Re: Maybe they are relaunching Pippin...

Many a thing said in jest etc.

Reminds me of back before they showed the iPhone and pundits were knocking up all sorts of mad looking designs like iPod phones with rotary dials on the click wheel and CrazyAppleRumours said 'It will only have one button', because it was the most unlikely thing they could think of.

Anyway, the point is, gaming is a big deal for Apple these days, wouldn't surprise me to see AppleTV (or iTV if that ever happens), expanding it's role to include a cheap gaming hub.

8. GitMeMyShootinIrons
    Joke

Let's play a game....

Guess the new 'revolutionary' Apple device. I'll start...

iSoap - has rounded corners, and cleans in a revolutionary way...

iToothpaste - has a minty taste, remove Starbucks coffee stains and leaves a shiny finish...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Let's play a game....

iCame - rounded corners are a must here.

9. Alistair MacRae

If they make something that is useful...

If they make something that is useful... I'd probably get it.

I cant imagine I'd get on with an iWatch. I don't want to have to charge up a watch every night or even every week. Plus it'd need to be waterproof.

1. Jim Wilkinson
      Pint

Re: If they make something that is useful...

A pure guess - a iTV. I.e. a Mac but with a built-in TV tuner that looks like a TV and designed for laid-back viewing.

1. paulll

Re: If they make something that is useful...

My guesses:

iMail: An innovation whereby you insert a document into your iMail, enter a recipient phone number and the recipient's iMail will produce a practically identical copy of your document. In sepia-and-white.

iDV: An insanely innovative set-top box that accepts 120mm, 1.1mm thick iDV discs, containing "Retina-def" movies, tv shows, etc.

The white versions of these will be announced this year; Incrementally-improved, black, versions will fill-out the product line-up for 2014-15.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wrist communications

I've still yet to buy a smart phone and don't wear a watch. However, I'm strangely warming to the idea of not having to pick up, pocket, or search for my cell phone.

I think it's quite a big step having a wearable computing/communications device.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wrist communications

Ever heard of a bluetooth headset?

But you are right, wearing one of those is a big step...toward looking like an idiot.

Now imagine what speaking into your wrist will look like :-)

On a more serious note though, I think one problem with the iWatch maybe that people wouldn't know what to do with their other hand. Let me explain - most people I know wear their watch on their 'wrong' wrist, but use a phone with the 'correct' hand (right-handed people wear watches on their left wrist but use a phone with their right hand). If you made a call using an iWatch you would have the hand you normally use to make a call flailling around doing nothing (unless it had a grip of the iWatch to press buttons - but this would take both hands rather than the one we use now). It's not like a headset where you can just carry on walking (looking like an escaped nut-case talking to yourself), you would tend to stop to talk to a watch - so what do you do with the other hand (the one you normally use). Apart from obvious 'rearranegment' activities.

1. 404

Re: Wrist communications

"Now imagine what speaking into your wrist will look like :-)"

Wearing dark glasses, looking around while you talk, and you're Secret Service Man!

;)

11. Russ Tarbox
    Pint

Fruity Firm

Can't you think of some new names? Twice in one article. Shame on you.

1. Darryl
      Happy

Re: Fruity Firm

Foxconn Rebrander

There you go - glad to help

12. Annihilator
    Happy

Einhorn

Finkle and Einhorn, Finkle and Einhorn... Finkle *is* Einhorn. Einhorn is a *man*! Oh my God, Einhorn is a man??...

13. RainForestGuppy

Wouldn't it be nice if..

..all these technology companies (Google, Apple, Samsung, etc) would just get together and say that in 2014 were not going put our resources into trying outdo each other to supply the next bit of consumer fluff. We're going to get together and invest all that money and time into finding a cure for cancer or feeding the starving.

You'll just have to wait until 2015 to get your iphone6 or galaxy5.

OK, it's never going to happen in a million years, but just think what the human race could achieve if we put all that effort into making life better.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wouldn't it be nice if..

Because marketing people, programmers, psychologists and production engineers are all so good at biochemistry and crop development, aren't they?

Look, I survived one term of biochemistry and thought "Memorising the phone book of chemicals and pathways is not for me". That's why I've spent my career doing computer related stuff. If I take a year off to solve the world's food problem, perhaps I'll manage to grow a few potatoes.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flops

A list of things that nobody bought, not even Apple fans:

http://gizmodo.com/5834321/steve-jobs-biggest-apple-flops/

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

His name should be....

His name should be "Dig-Dug".

Either that, or Hans and Franz:

"I am here to PUMP <this stock> UP!"

How he can get away with buying this, then making a statement like that, and not have the SEC on his doorstep that afternoon - well, it doesn't boggle my mind, but it does greatly depress me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like