back to article Office 365 supremo seizes control of Microsoft's purse strings

Top Microsoft exec Amy Hood, who masterminded the multi-billion-dollar Skype and Yammer deals, is Redmond's new CFO. Hood was named today as the new custodian of the corporate purse. She replaces numbers-man Peter Klein, who announced his exit in April but will stay on until June. She is the first woman to occupy the chief …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. danR2
    WTF?

"the strategy development '[sic]' " ?

What's the problem? The spelling is correct, and 'development' is the modifier (so to speak) of strategy ('development of strategy'), not the other way around.

2. Shagbag
    WTF?

"masterminded the multi-billion-dollar Skype and Yammer deals"

"Microsoft paid $8.5bn for Skype in 2011, $1.5bn over the price sought by the venture capitalist and investor consortium that owned the loss-making web telco. Microsoft had been the only bidder in a non-existent fray to snatch Skype"

They paid $1.5bn above the asking price with no-one else bidding? That's one hell of a 'mastermind'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "masterminded the multi-billion-dollar Skype and Yammer deals"

Skype doubled its prices for renting a landline number in March, and it also increased its connection and call charges from SkypeOut. They'll make the money back, but it has annoyed me and plenty of other people like me who like to use SkypeOut to make calls from their PC. I don't mind paying for the service but I resent being gouged.

2. ecofeco Silver badge
      Meh

Re: "masterminded the multi-billion-dollar Skype and Yammer deals"

No mystery. Someone is getting the extra money. Probably someone within the 2 companies.

As for 365, more cloud fail.

3. Dan Paul
    Devil

Newsflash - Doublespeak for Cloudy Future of Office (and everything else MS)

No, I have no association with "E".

Just a rabid dislike for the so called "Cloud" and anything SaaS regardless of WHO sells these lies.

Amy Hood is ONLY getting the job as MS CFO and is a part of "Strategic Development" because she was marginally successful with Office 365 a "cloud" service.

“strong financial and operational management through her time on the business.” otherwise meant as that "witch could wring blood from a stone and nickle and dimed the team to death"

More proof that MS is on the downward spiral.

4. Fihart

You're in a hole Steve.....

....so stop digging.

Office 365 will sink Microsoft deeper than the Win8, WinPhone and Surface cockups. No home user is going to willingly rent Word (because that's the only part of Office most use regularly) for serious money annually when they can go on using the version they already own or get an equivalent for free.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You're in a hole Steve.....

Quite.

Which one of these girlies brought in the Ribbon, and which, Metro?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You're in a hole Steve.....

We sell Office 365 to high-end home users. If like most of our clients, you've got 5 PCs or Macs, want to use Hosted Exchange (hence needs Outlook), and replace your PCs and Office with them every 3 years anyway, Office 365 is good value. If you've only got one PC and you kept your last one for 6 years, then not no, it's definitely not worth it. Horses for courses. :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like