back to article 'Ring of fire' eclipse to burn Australia

Sol and Luna's eternal cosmic dance reaches one of its regular peaks tomorrow, when an annular eclipse will be visible from Australia, Papua New Guinea, and several small Pacific nations. Annular eclipses are known as “ring of fire” eclipses, because while the sun and moon line up Luna appears smaller than the sun, leaving a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden
    Mushroom

Don't want a Ring of Fire?

Lay off those hot curries, then!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't want a Ring of Fire?

On a sort of related topic - has anyone heard from Lester recently? I check the seismographs, but nothing obvious in Spain.

2. Knoydart
    Thumb Up

Well done for using GMT to co-ordinate viewing. Maybe slip in a mention of Zulu time while you are at it - it will hopefully keep the Reg Military desk very happy if Mr Page is reading?

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge
      Pint

Let's see ...

22:00 GMT ... multiply by 9, divide by 5 ... take away the number I first thought of ... I make that about half-past sparrow-fart here (in the ACT).

That means I can fire up the internet to view the eclipse in the morning and nip off to Tidbinbilla in the afternoon to see the new dish. Ah, don't you love Fridays!

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Let's see ...

22:00 GMT = 8am EST which hardly counts as sparrow-fart (unless you are a teenager and/or student).

Not worth seeing here in ACT though, partials are boring. Even annulars are annoying because you can't look at them directly. The only ones worth bothering with are total eclipses, having seen the 2002 one in Lyndhurst (South Australia) I can confirm that totals are truly amazing!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Partials are not boring

I would disagree; even a partial eclipse is not boring.

Take your hands, crossing the fingers of each hand to make a 4x4 grid. Spread them just a bit, to make a bunch of almost pinholes. Hold over a flat white surface. Watch what would normally be round spots become little crescents - you've just made a bunch of pinhole viewers. Go find a tree that is making a bunch of pin-holes between the leaves. Make a pinhole viewer from a gum wrapper. Let your inner child-scientist loose for a change!

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
      Boffin

"Well done for using GMT to co-ordinate viewing. Maybe slip in a mention of Zulu time while you are at it..."

Ahhh, but can we persuade them to use UTC, like proper astronomers. (Or even TT?)

3. Bush_rat
    Holmes

Well...

I have to say this is my first time-traveling eclipse.

1. Esskay
      Coat

Re: Well...

Early next year was my first.

2. Blue eyed boy
      Boffin

@UTC instead of GMT

To get UTC you need to specifry the frequency of the atomic oscillators in Hertz. If you specify the frequency in cycles per second you get the now-obsolete GMT.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like